Roku/YouTube TV

Yes, this is not good. I have one new TV that is a Smart Tivo that I have a Roku on it. There might be a YouTubeTV app on it. I would assume that I could Airplay from my phone. Of course, I have the YouTube app on there so I can probably use that for now.

I have an older Roku TV. I know I have the YouTube app on that. I do have a couple of Firesticks in the house and an Apple TV. I was moving more to using Rokus with newer TVs. We can going to be buying a new secondary TV. I was probably going to get a Roku for it. Hmmm....

From the Roku Support web page

Update 4/30/21
If you already have YouTube TV installed on your Roku device, you will continue to have access to the channel unless Google requires us to remove it. Note that you should not remove the channel if you plan to use it. New installations and reinstallations will not be possible at this time.

Background
Recent negotiations with Google to carry YouTube TV have broken down because Roku refuses to accept Google’s terms that we believe could directly harm our users. We will always stand up for our users, which is why we asked Google to remove what we believe to be unfair and anticompetitive requirements that could increase consumer cost and unnaturally impact your search results and the usage of your data.

While we are deeply disappointed in Google’s decision to use their monopoly power to try and force terms that will directly harm streamers, we remain committed to reaching an agreement with Google that preserves your access to YouTube TV, protects your data and ensures a level playing field for companies to compete. We encourage you to contact Google and urge them to reach an agreement to continue offering YouTube TV on Roku and to follow standard industry practices, pledging not to require access to sensitive search data or to manipulate search results.

Last updated on 5/3/2021, 1:16:08 PM

Neither side is looking very good to me. Google says they just want to continue with the current terms and Roku says Google wants to steal your data - I have no way to know the truth.

We bought our Roku's a year ago because they could carry the YouTube.tv app, which was our main interest as we were dropping DirecTV. For now, Roku is leaving Youtube.tv on for us existing customers. My feeling is Roku would have a hard time going further and actually removing YTTV for existing customers since Roku was advertising at the time that they carried YTTV. An enterprising lawyer somewhere would quickly file a class action suit. You would think that lacking YTTV as an offering would pretty much kill new Roku sales and they would be motivated to work it out.

Meanwhile, Google must be kidding if they think anyone would mess with Chromecasting TV shows, Chromecast never worked reliably for us for any content, we bought different generations of their Chromecast sticks hoping it would get better, but it was always lousy, dropping the sound, lowering resolution, losing connection to the stick and needing to reboot it, log in and hook it back up. Our Chromecast sticks are around here somewhere, but we never use them. Even if they fixed the reliability issue, imagine having to run over to your computer or put a PIN into your phone in order to hit a slider to get past an ad. They have deeper pockets than Roku, but the alternatives to Roku like Amazon Firesticks and AppleTV seem even more likely to have disputes if Google pushes too hard for intrusive data or favorable channel placement. So work it out already!

At least them fighting in public is giving consumers fair warning that the brave new world kind of sucks. You never know what content will be available on your hardware.

I'm surprised anyone is surprised... Streaming services shakeout was/is inevitable. Personally I like Roku and don't particular care for anything Google even though I sometime use their services....

They are telling completely different stories so it’s hard to tell - seems like it’s hard to find simple facts “truth” with everything these days.

I’d say Roku has a better track record than Google, but I admit I’m biased based on my past experiences with both.

++ 1

Interestingly enough, just received this email from YouTubeTV.
They will be adding a link to the YouTube 'App' so you can go directly from the YouTube 'App' to your YouTubeTV account.

IDK - Seems like they are setting the stage to remove the actual YouTube TV channel from the Roku and still allow their customers to use their Roku's and get to YouTubeTV. Or maybe its just for convenience.

An update for our Roku users: Today we’re introducing a feature that gives you a new way to access YouTube TV from within the YouTube app. This update will be available to all YouTube TV members on Roku over the next few days, and we will expand to as many devices as we can over time.
Here is how it works:

• Make sure you have the YouTube app downloaded from the Roku Channel Store
  • From the YouTube app, simply click on “Go to YouTube TV” in the left-hand menu of the app
  • If it’s your first time doing this, you’ll need to sign in to YouTube TV
  • You can learn more in our Help Center

We’re still working to come to an agreement with Roku to ensure continued access to the YouTube TV app for our mutual customers. As of right now, existing YouTube TV members still have access to the YouTube TV app on Roku devices.

Last edited:
They are going nuke with Roku by allowing access to YTV from YT and daring them to remove the YT app. Roku knows they can't do this, so Google wins.

I will continue watch YouTube videos for free while cursing their aggressive ads strategy. I will continue to support Roku.

When the giant start the bullying, the only consumer can do is boycott it and support the little guys. More competition benefits the consumers. It is all about money and control. The consumer body holds both. It is up to us.

I won't lose ANY sleep not being able to watch ad-infested youtube videos.

This is simply a smaller company standing up to a bigger one on principle.

ROKU has said from the beginning that it would be agnostic - and, it has fought off egregious actions previously - but not one as aggressive as this from Google.

Google is attempting to dictate based on size - so, we will be further manipulated to watch more of what they own.

I don't yet have YouTube TV - and, certainly will not now.

Back
Top Bottom