Shopping for new laptop for DH

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
He isn't a gang-buster computer user but he will need to run a CAD program (DraftSight to be specific), plus all the other everyday computer uses... internet etc. He will not use it for gaming.

Opinions please: is a 'gaming' computer such as Lenovo Legion Y545 suitable?

FYI, he is 81 and has difficulty with change.

Out of curiosity, I looked and found that the above laptop comes with either an i5 or i7 processor. Both are quite fast CPUs, and as fast or faster than some desktops a few years old. I would be happy with this as a work computer.

The only thing about using this for a CAD program is that a large external monitor would be highly desirable, compared to the 15" screen.

3DS DraftSight 2019 has 2-D and new for 2019 3-D functionality. DraftSight 2019 requires a paid license for Windows. DraftSight 2019 is available in yearly no-charge license for MacOS and Linux.

We just replaced our 7 yr old laptop. Most demanding use is a program for designing photo books. We got an Asus World of Gaming model for the good specs.

I buy a lot of computers for my business and just picked up another Asus Zenbook laptop which is fast, light, beautiful screen and for us they have been problem free. Intel i7, 16gb ram.

Decision made, Lenovo Legion laptop purchased. Interesting feedback from DH's circle. DS liked a 2 in 1 computer, DS's office computer guy liked the Legion. Grandson also recommended the Legion commenting on the shorter battery life and the fact that it is heavier. DH observed that the Legion is actually lighter than the Zbook that died and that he rarely used the Zbook using the battery.

I am now restoring files from the old computer to the new one, they were backed up by Carbonite. That process will take days (slow internet connection) but at least many of his precious photos will not be lost.

One of his many aggravations is remembring passwords (he is 81), time to get the family cheat sheet updated.

Decision made, Lenovo Legion laptop purchased. Interesting feedback from DH's circle. DS liked a 2 in 1 computer, DS's office computer guy liked the Legion. Grandson also recommended the Legion commenting on the shorter battery life and the fact that it is heavier. DH observed that the Legion is actually lighter than the Zbook that died and that he rarely used the Zbook using the battery.

I am now restoring files from the old computer to the new one, they were backed up by Carbonite. That process will take days (slow internet connection) but at least many of his precious photos will not be lost.

One of his many aggravations is remembring passwords (he is 81), time to get the family cheat sheet updated.
Or download and install LastPass. It's free for one user, and can sync across devices. The paid version is $36 or $48 per year depending on your needs. Both paid versions are for multiple users.

Back
Top Bottom