Simple/free Web Presence for a small business?

Twitter could work, but does everyone have a Twitter account (I'm assuming the customer demographic would at least lean towards some older non-techy types)?

It just seems to me checking a web page (the blogger page or similar) as needed is the most basic of all operations. No other app required. If someone isn't tech savvy enough for that, then they just aren't going to do anything I think.

-ERD50

Tweets can be see on the web without an account.
One needs an account to follow, resspond, etc.

If you ask a Millennial or Gen Y whether a web page is easier to check then Twitter, I have a feeling you'll get a different answer than you think.

The template is...OK, but the hamburger menu doesn't do anything, and many people will expect contact information, and may comment on posts to try to communicate with him. (Trust me, I saw that A LOT.) And again, this will wind up being a long list of status updates that don't really need a permanent home, so IMO text, email, or Twitter are still more appropriate, although which one is optimal might depend on his audience.

I mean, this will do what he wants, so this might be better than nothing, especially if it's the easiest for him to update, but it's far from optimal for UX. I think text or Twitter are easy to set up and send messages, and email is a longer setup for a template but just as quick. The first two also have better penetration/usage, as people will get notifications when they get texts or emails, but not when a web page is updated.

Last edited:
OP - I have to wonder, perhaps you are the only customer who want's to know if he is coming so you can decide to shovel/not.

If so, maybe he could phone you if he is not coming.

It's certainly possible that I am one of few, or even the only one that would even bother with wanting an update.

After a bit more research (partially to satisfy my own curiosity, and keep up with what is out there), I'll give him a call and see what he thinks. He might be fine with me just calling him for an update.

bold mine with notes in [xxx]:
I mean, this will do what he wants, so this might be better than nothing [which is what we have now-nothing!], especially if it's the easiest for him to update [I think this is what is important - I got the sense he doesn't want to put much effort into it, and I don't blame him, or have to rely on someone with more tech knowledge than he has], but it's far from optimal for UX. ...

I don't care about the UX being optimal, it's a simple one-way message. Any question, I can call him (like he puts in the contract, if you want an extra plow because of drifting or something, call and he will charge you for that single extra plow)

It looks like one can "follow" a blogspot blogger, but I have not yet figured out what that does for the "follower", the instructions didn't cover this? Can the follower get email updates when something is posted, or is this just a (useless, IMO) "show of support" thing? I have to research that, but the answer didn't pop up in my first few searches.

-ERD50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom