Join Early Retirement Today

Something went wrong - a technology rant
Old 02-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Something went wrong - a technology rant

I once loved the idea of computer systems and how tech was gonna solve the problems of humanity. For some, that is probably true, but spouse and I seem to have the most interesting online interactions with these man-made systems.

This begins as an OptumRx rant, but there's always more...

Quote:
Something went wrong
Error: We are currently experiencing system issues and cannot sign you in at this time.
Please try again in a few hours. If you need immediate help, please call the number on the back of your ID card.

Peachy, indeed! This reminds me why I don't often login to the array of healthcare systems that send out mysterious emails about important health care information (as from family MD and "System", etc.).

It's no longer possible to simply login with username and p/w. Have to wonder why I have a HealthSafe ID (thinks that's some M$ crap), that sends my phone a txt message (says it comes from Vanguard), only to find the error message above. What are we? Human, or scientific calculator?

Can't stop there. My penetration into the bowels of healthcare prescription system was precipitated by emails that came after recent visit to family doc.

Part two: Why does my family doc now have a med student who asks 10-15 minutes of questions that have perfectly good answers in the "system" for which she has no card access. I watched her fill a page in a steno notebook from top to bottom, and then waited for the doc, only to have her ask many of the same questions.

Think I need a "doc" app, which will ask questions, record answers, and just send me the !@#$ prescriptions! Of course it will require a $1K phone that requires constant updating, as well as an expensive plan!

Now, back to my paid day off...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
gone traveling

Hope you feel better now after getting that rant off your chest.
You can go back to using your technology for better things - like posting here!

joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:41 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Way too many surveys in this day and age.

Though I did earn $2 filling out one recently about my confidence in the economy. So, wasn't a total waste .
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Way too many surveys in this day and age.

Though I did earn $2 filling out one recently about my confidence in the economy. So, wasn't a total waste .
I use e-Rewards and fill out surveys almost daily, but I get Hilton points and Starbucks gift cards. I refuse to participate in surveys other than that, ESPECIALLY when they call me on my cell phone, which does not have a plan with unlimited talk time.

Yeah, technology has made things more cumbersome in many cases. My pet peeve is voicemail systems where you have to enter info such as an account number and the first thing a human asks for is info you've already entered.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #5

My rant is that when the system fails, whether it's the IT system or the business process, I can't write a "letter" to get it fixed; resolution requires that I call, hang on hold for hours, talk to someone who doesn't have the capacity to fix it.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Hope you feel better now after getting that rant off your chest.
You can go back to using your technology for better things - like posting here!

That's a very nice thought. Thank you.
I went out front door, and checked for spring growth. A better use of tech...
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1476_a.png (772.7 KB, 36 views)
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember when computers were supposed to REDUCE paperwork!

But you miss the bigger picture.

They're not computers any more. They're "communicators."

They were supposed to bring a great leveling of human discourse. No more pesky journalists or editorial boards filtering what we read. Freedom!

How has that worked out?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
My rant is that when the system fails, whether it's the IT system or the business process, I can't write a "letter" to get it fixed; resolution requires that I call, hang on hold for hours, talk to someone who doesn't have the capacity to fix it.
Try that with Yahoo mail. After 20+ years we've locked ourselves out and there's no help. Chat doesn't connect, their 800 number is a travel site!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Try that with Yahoo mail. After 20+ years we've locked ourselves out and there's no help. Chat doesn't connect, their 800 number is a travel site!
Our friends with Yahoo mail have repeatedly had their accounts hacked by people who spun yarns of being jailed in the Philippines or mugged in Hungary, and "please wire us $3000 right away."

I emailed them back to tell them I was sorry to hear about their misfortune, but money would not be forthcoming.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
They were supposed to bring a great leveling of human discourse. No more pesky journalists or editorial boards filtering what we read. Freedom!

How has that worked out?
You are a Monstur!! A terrible person! You should not be allowed on these boards....

Oh wait, sorry, I thought I was on a different discussion site.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
+1 Bugs don't get fixed except maybe when not fixing the bugs costs more than fixing them.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
+1 Bugs don't get fixed except maybe when not fixing the bugs costs more than fixing them.
Those are sometimes called features.🤣
Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I remember when computers were supposed to REDUCE paperwork!
Remember when everyone was talking about the "Paperless Office"? At my former job, that was a Big Deal. It ended up that we had to keep duplicate records, both on paper and on computers, so it was twice the work.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Lots of industries have integrated tech very well, at least the mundane stuff. Health care on the other hand has little to no competition, and many payers who have no idea what anything really costs them, so they're not driven to improve service in the way industries with actual competition are forced to. It'll change, in someone's lifetime.

Lots of doctors, though not all, are infamous Luddites. I used to sail with a locally renowned orthopedic surgeon, who was baffled by all technology, even his own iPhone. He asked me to teach him about the tech on his boat, there was no chance he'd ever learn any of it. He asked me to show him the same things over and over and over. If the doctors are clueless, and everyone is getting paid handsomely, who would drive tech change?

Everyone at my GP is very friendly, can I get you coffee, see the pretty artwork and indoor waterfalls. But I have to fill out pages of questions every single time, even though most of the answers haven't changed and most can't. And even though I make the first appointment whenever possible, they never see me on time. Never.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Remember when everyone was talking about the "Paperless Office"? At my former job, that was a Big Deal. It ended up that we had to keep duplicate records, both on paper and on computers, so it was twice the work.
After I cleaned up from laughing while drinking my water, I'll mention that's not how it was supposed to work! 😂

Long term storage, or geographical location was a problem?

Many years of my career was spent implementing solutions for paper problems. I thought I'd seen every poor implementation! That's one of the better ones.😂
Old 02-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I like that the assistant asks questions and then discusses them with the physician away from you, and then you tell the physician the same thing. Basically, you get to clarify your thoughts, review them, and think about them. Then the people you talk to get to compare whether you say the same thing or not.

Are you fibbing? Are you forgetting something? Unfortunately, your fellow patients are causing problems for everybody because they are not revealing the truth like you are.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
That's a very nice thought. Thank you.
I went out front door, and checked for spring growth. A better use of tech...
Nice! I wish it was spring where I live.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Health care on the other hand has little to no competition, and many payers who have no idea what anything really costs them, so they're not driven to improve service in the way industries with actual competition are forced to.
My healthcare provider is very automated.

I can log in to a portal site and see all my medications and medication history, the results of all tests, the schedule of all appointments, etc. I can even send a message to my physician and get a response later without having to call the office, leave a message and hope I'm around to hear the callback. I can easily look up simple explanations of any conditions, symptoms, and medications. I can check on billing, learn all the details for costs, find out what insurances has paid so far, etc, etc.

I like this system a lot it's very well done. No complaints from my end.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Obviously you are another of the dangerous radicals that infest this site.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Lots of doctors, though not all, are infamous Luddites. I used to sail with a locally renowned orthopedic surgeon, who was baffled by all technology, even his own iPhone. He asked me to teach him about the tech on his boat, there was no chance he'd ever learn any of it. He asked me to show him the same things over and over and over. If the doctors are clueless, and everyone is getting paid handsomely, who would drive tech change?
I remember when my last PCP's office went to EMR. Oh what fun that was. The goal who did billing became tech support. They had a consultant in but there were some really bad choices.

My doc was in his 60s, not tech savvy and they gave him a laptop with the standard mousepad. I must have been his second patient and he's really struggling. He can't balance the thing or use the mouse and he's re-learning all his note taking skills.

I mentioned something about the mouse and he said he had no idea what he was doing. I said that it appears you're imitating a monkey trying to have sex with a bulldog; a portable mouse to go in your lab coat is probably only $20. He was pretty thankful.