Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post

Anyway, the Vizio is about $1800 at Costo which is fine for something I will keep several years. But, I really would like an OLED when prices come down. So I have considered just buying a less expensive 75" TV to use in the near term and eventually replace it when OLED prices come down (move the replaced one to the bedroom). So that might be an option for me.
I have 2 OLEDs and love them. Prices have definitely been dropping since I bought the last one 8 months ago.
db79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by db79 View Post
I have 2 OLEDs and love them. Prices have definitely been dropping since I bought the last one 8 months ago.
Yes, that is the dilemma right now. In the size we need for the room they are about $5k which is just more than I want to spend. But, we do need a TV there now. Hence the possibility of buying something less expensive now that is "OK" with the plan to upgrade in a couple of years.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Ready for Taping and Gouping!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9518.jpg (440.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I prefer quantum dot(qled) or oled the best but I don't think there are any at 70". Most are 65 or 75 inches. I have a similar dilemma as a 60" would fit perfectly for me so I had to go with a 55".

I agree. 60 inches are hard to find, it is either 65 inch or 75 inch. If you are looking at top tiered TV, then it is either LG or Sony OLED or Samsung QLED Q80 or Q90.

I prefer Samsung QLED Q80 because Sony OLED or LG OLED are significantly more expensive but not significantly better picture. Generally if you have a bright room with window reflections then QLED is the one because the QLED picture is brighter and there are less reflections. If you have a dark room, then the OLED TVs are stunning... but if you can afford it.

I recently purchased a 82 inch Samsung Q80 for $3300. My buying decision is based on the fact that the biggest OLED is only 77 inch and cost between $5000 to $6000. I came down from OLED to QLED because of the size and cost issue. Try to make the 75 inch TV work for you (if you can) because bigger is better. I still remember when 27 inch TV was the norm.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

We just bought the LG 65" oled and the picture is incredible. The old set was a Pioneer Elite 60" plasma. It was top end when we bought it. This TV is 1/3 the price and 3x the picture quality.
68bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
OLED!
Old 03-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

OLED!

Splurge and get an OLED set, you will be glad you did. The downside... you won’t want to tv on anything else.

I plan on purchasing a 3rd set, which will cover all of the primary viewing areas in my home. 2 - 55’s and 1 - 65’. My preference is LG over Sony. I can’t see that much of difference in the picture quality for $ony.

EdL
Old 03-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I am getting there, took a few days off, but most is done need to get the TV to get the mount at the correct height. We have decided to go with an OLED from LG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9532.jpg (407.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Now all I need to do it wait for the BIG OLED sales and buy a TV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9533.jpg (428.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-19-2020, 05:46 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

What it will look like....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9533 (With TV).JPG (156.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm betting you'll love it. I'm curious what mount did you use, I'm look at them now to wall mount my set.
68bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:05 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bucks View Post
I'm betting you'll love it. I'm curious what mount did you use, I'm look at them now to wall mount my set.
My Mount is way overkill. It could hold a tank Big 80" plasma if they were still available. I just got one from eBay about 10 years ago and am using the same thing.

Here is a link to an example, mine is older and a little more solid, I just ordered the one for the biggest TV at the time..

Not expensive at all, not like $150 at Best Buy, and do the job well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Motion...KtQNlVad8-AJ-g
Old 03-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

All done! Just put the "Old" TV back while we wait for the Post Virus Sales...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9537.jpg (527.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-25-2020, 04:38 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

You will probably find some good deals soon. If not in the store....online.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You will probably find some good deals soon. If not in the store....online.
Assuming the source of the TVs will have them available for shipping any time soon. We may be looking at low inventory of electronics items for a while.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I don't like higher up TV's either. I want the middle of the screen at eye level when sitting down. If I was to move and the only location for a TV in a house we were looking at was above a fireplace that would be a deal breaker.
Agree - above-the-mantle tv mounts are usually not ideal. The only exception is if you have recliners (for all viewers) that can give you a direct angle without any neck strain. That's why I prefer an eye level screen or even a tiny bit below.

Incidentally, that's how your computer monitors should also be set up according to ergonomic standards.
reneeh63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:42 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Agree - above-the-mantle tv mounts are usually not ideal. The only exception is if you have recliners (for all viewers) that can give you a direct angle without any neck strain. That's why I prefer an eye level screen or even a tiny bit below.

Incidentally, that's how your computer monitors should also be set up according to ergonomic standards.
I use my TV as the computer monitor so it's also at a good height.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

I also agree. I had a Samsung 55 inch LED over my fireplace and it was just OK but it was 30 inches higher than eye level. I replaced it with a 82 inch Samsung QN82Q80R QLED TV and relocated it at precisely at eye level on another wall. This made a HUGE difference with my eyes looking level and not slightly up. I liked OLED TVs but a 77 inch OLED cost about $5000 and was smaller that my $3200 82 inch QLED. Black levels and contrast levels for the OLED were only slightly better than my Q80 QLED but my larger size, brighter picture and lower price won me over.

My only issue is that my 82 inch TV is so wide that I did not have space for my high end Polk Lsim703 speakers to be located on each side. I solved that problem by placing them below the TV but angled the speakers up toward my ears. With the TV at eye level and speakers pointing toward my ears, I am in pure entertainment narvana.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I ordered my LGOLED65C9PUA from Costco On Line today, $100 Rebate, 2% Back and 4 Years Warranty. It gets delivered Next Thursday.

AND ......…. we have not even got our stimulus payment yet, all we get is "Status Unavailable" when we look on the "Get My Payment" Web site
Old 04-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

All Done at Last!

One last Heave Ho for me and DW, and it is in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9568 (Medium).JPG (84.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9573 (Medium).JPG (91.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Looks great!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote