Starting Search and DD for a 70" 4k, True 120hz TV - Any Recommendations

There are larger TVs (iirc OLED) with a center stand...those would likely fit on the mantle itself, no need to build it into the wall.

There are larger TVs (iirc OLED) with a center stand...those w

Not if you do not want it protruding. The idea is to have the TV flush with the wall, kind of like a this picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like quite a bit of work went into the original placement, which will need to be replicated with the new TV. I wish you luck.

That said, I can't help but feel a bit of neck strain looking at the placement. I get why people do this. Convenient location. Out of the way. Hidden wiring. Spousal approval. That's just a tough angle to view TV and movies for me, even sitting 12' away. And if it were my only option, I probably would have it angled downward a bit rather than flush with the wall.

Last edited:
Seems like quite a bit of work went into the original placement, which will need to be replicated with the new TV. I wish you luck.

That said, I can't help but feel a bit of neck strain looking at the placement. I get why people do this. Convenient location. Out of the way. Hidden wiring. Spousal approval. That's just a tough angle to view TV and movies for me, even sitting 12' away.
I did the same placement in the family room in our last house. I had the same reservations. It was a 55 inch which was large at the time. Mine hung on the wall and projected about 5 inches over the mantle which did not leave much useable room on the mantle. I had all 7 surround speakers in the ceiling. It worked out nicely and I never heard any complaints about the height or speaker location. In my new home theater I will also hang the TV on the wall to maintain the room sound proofing. I am hoping for a projection of no more than a couple inches.

That said, I can't help but feel a bit of neck strain looking at the placement. I get why people do this. Convenient location. Out of the way. Hidden wiring. Spousal approval. That's just a tough angle to view TV and movies for me, even sitting 12' away. And if it were my only option, I probably would have it angled downward a bit rather than flush with the wall.

Yes it will b angled down. The original 55" was placed so when viewing from our sofa when slouched (As I sit) it is a straight line to the eye on the center of the screen.

I decided to go with a 75", Probably the Visio PX75-G1 but still undecided. I had to lower my mantle 3.5". to gain a few inches. I will take some more pics when I get to a good progress point.

I did a lot of research on 75" TVs. I used rtings.com for most of the research. Anyway, The PX75-G1 may well be the one we select. We went and looked at it at Costco and like it.

That said -- I do have one concern. I would honestly prefer an OLED TV but the cost for a 75" is very steep. We have plenty of room and 75" is probably minimum size for us. We just removed our fireplace so have plenty of room.

Anyway, the Vizio is about $1800 at Costo which is fine for something I will keep several years. But, I really would like an OLED when prices come down. So I have considered just buying a less expensive 75" TV to use in the near term and eventually replace it when OLED prices come down (move the replaced one to the bedroom). So that might be an option for me.

But if I decided not to do that then it will probably be the Vizio.

Here is where I got to today. Hole [-]dug[/-] Cut. On to the substructure to support the TV next. Oh, and I need to het into the hole to retrieve all the tools and crap I dropped down there. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9516 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9516 (Medium).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 17

I don't like higher up TV's either. I want the middle of the screen at eye level when sitting down. If I was to move and the only location for a TV in a house we were looking at was above a fireplace that would be a deal breaker.

I don't like higher up TV's either. I want the middle of the screen at eye level when sitting down. If I was to move and the only location for a TV in a house we were looking at was above a fireplace that would be a deal breaker.

You can just drywall over the alcove if you do not like it. To repair it is a $200 problem, how is that a deal breaker? You would forfeit a $800k home for $200?

We both like the TV high, as we eat in front of the TV and have a coffee table that expands up to change the height (See Pic). You cannot watch a TV at eye level then. Besides when sitting on the sofa, NOT bolt upright it is exactly in line with your eyes. I drew it up on cad (The Engineer in me I guess) and with a 6" tv tilt it is perfect, no eye strain no neck strain.

But it is all good. To each his/he own.

Attachments

• IMG_9517.jpg
    IMG_9517.jpg
    864.2 KB · Views: 11
You can just drywall over the alcove if you do not like it. To repair it is a $200 problem, how is that a deal breaker? You would forfeit a $800k home for $200?

I'm not concerned about a drywall fix...I can do that in a half hour. But some houses are so poorly laid out that there is no reasonable/convenient place for a TV at eye level.

I'm not concerned about a drywall fix...I can do that in a half hour. But some houses are so poorly laid out that there is no reasonable/convenient place for a TV at eye level.

Yes you are right! They are designing them to go above the fireplace now. :)

Here is where I got to today. Hole [-]dug[/-] Cut. On to the substructure to support the TV next. Oh, and I need to het into the hole to retrieve all the tools and crap I dropped down there. :)

It seems like a lot of work to get a flush mount on the wall. Did you consider getting a flush mount OLED TV that is about 3mm thick? They have been around for a few years now. The picture is amazing and far better than any LED/LCD TV. All you need to do is cut a hole for a ribbon cable.

It seems like a lot of work to get a flush mount on the wall. Did you consider getting a flush mount OLED TV that is about 3mm thick? They have been around for a few years now. The picture is amazing and far better than any LED/LCD TV. All you need to do is cut a hole for a ribbon cable.

The OLEDs are nice, but honestly I do not think they are currently worth the investment. My 66 year old eyes cannot really tell the difference in the stores. The upscaling on the Visio PX75 GI is superb from my personal in store reviews.

I cannot even seem to find a 75" OLED TV. LG is a 77" and that would not fit anyway.

The OLEDs are nice, but honestly I do not think they are currently worth the investment. My 66 year old eyes cannot really tell the difference in the stores. The upscaling on the Visio PX75 GI is superb from my personal in store reviews.

I cannot even seem to find a 75" OLED TV. LG is a 77" and that would not fit anyway.

I would have gone with a 65" OLED. I hope you accounted for space for the cooling vents on the TV and plan to seal the the rear where you cut out the drywall. Many TVs rely on airflow through lower and upper vents to keep the electronics cool Otherwise you are creating a path for pests to infiltrate your home. I hung one of our TVs over the our fireplace also but just drilled a 2 inch hole to route a sealed cable harness carrying power, digital video, Ethernet, and USB cables from the TV.

I would have gone with a 65" OLED. I hope you accounted for space for the cooling vents on the TV and plan to seal the the rear where you cut out the drywall. Many TVs rely on airflow through lower and upper vents to keep the electronics cool Otherwise you are creating a path for pests to infiltrate your home. I hung one of our TVs over the our fireplace also but just drilled a 2 inch hole to route a sealed cable harness carrying power, digital video, Ethernet, and USB cables from the TV.

All taken care of, and ratifies by my design review board.

Anyway, the Vizio is about $1800 at Costo which is fine for something I will keep several years. But, I really would like an OLED when prices come down. So I have considered just buying a less expensive 75" TV to use in the near term and eventually replace it when OLED prices come down (move the replaced one to the bedroom). So that might be an option for me.

I have 2 OLEDs and love them. Prices have definitely been dropping since I bought the last one 8 months ago.

I have 2 OLEDs and love them. Prices have definitely been dropping since I bought the last one 8 months ago.

Yes, that is the dilemma right now. In the size we need for the room they are about $5k which is just more than I want to spend. But, we do need a TV there now. Hence the possibility of buying something less expensive now that is "OK" with the plan to upgrade in a couple of years.

I prefer quantum dot(qled) or oled the best but I don't think there are any at 70". Most are 65 or 75 inches. I have a similar dilemma as a 60" would fit perfectly for me so I had to go with a 55".

I agree. 60 inches are hard to find, it is either 65 inch or 75 inch. If you are looking at top tiered TV, then it is either LG or Sony OLED or Samsung QLED Q80 or Q90.

I prefer Samsung QLED Q80 because Sony OLED or LG OLED are significantly more expensive but not significantly better picture. Generally if you have a bright room with window reflections then QLED is the one because the QLED picture is brighter and there are less reflections. If you have a dark room, then the OLED TVs are stunning... but if you can afford it.

I recently purchased a 82 inch Samsung Q80 for $3300. My buying decision is based on the fact that the biggest OLED is only 77 inch and cost between $5000 to $6000. I came down from OLED to QLED because of the size and cost issue. Try to make the 75 inch TV work for you (if you can) because bigger is better. I still remember when 27 inch TV was the norm.

We just bought the LG 65" oled and the picture is incredible. The old set was a Pioneer Elite 60" plasma. It was top end when we bought it. This TV is 1/3 the price and 3x the picture quality.

OLED!

Splurge and get an OLED set, you will be glad you did. The downside... you won’t want to tv on anything else.

I plan on purchasing a 3rd set, which will cover all of the primary viewing areas in my home. 2 - 55’s and 1 - 65’. My preference is LG over Sony. I can’t see that much of difference in the picture quality for $ony.

EdL

I am getting there, took a few days off, but most is done need to get the TV to get the mount at the correct height. We have decided to go with an OLED from LG.

Attachments

• IMG_9532.jpg
    IMG_9532.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 15
Now all I need to do it wait for the BIG OLED sales and buy a TV.

Attachments

• IMG_9533.jpg
    IMG_9533.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 15
I'm betting you'll love it. I'm curious what mount did you use, I'm look at them now to wall mount my set.

Back
Top Bottom