Streaming TV and DVR?

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
We're looking into escaping from the ridiculous satellite service we have & just using one or more of the streaming services, along with our local OTA stations. Just waiting for the new fiber-optic service that's being installed in our area (currently only have slow DSL).

What I'm wondering is if there is a DVR we can buy that will record the streaming content as well as the OTA. Maybe it's not necessary because (I guess) most streamed content is on demand anyway, hence always available? Just seems like it would be nice to have it recorded so we can watch it how we like - rewind/skip ahead, pause, etc.

New to this stuff, so insights/advice/help appreciated.

First, it would be more helpful to learn more about your ridiculous satellite service. We have no OTA where we live so we have satellite.... with a skinny programming package that includes our locals and DW's cherished HGTV, a DVR and 2 high-def TVs our total bill is $55/month.

We also had ~15 mbps DSL and regularly streamed programming and had no issues, though I agree that higher internet speed is better. We also currently have 30 mbps internet in Florida and regularly stream and it works fine. Point is, you don't need 100 mbps to stream.

For DVR OTA I would look into the Fire Recast... perhaps someone with experience with it will come alon and weigh in in due course.

Check out Tivo's offerings for OTA DVR. A couple years ago we purchased a refurbished Roamio from them which included all-in lifetime subscription for free. Check on their website periodically, especially around Thanksgiving/Xmas - they have sales a few times during the year.

I don't know that you're going to find any physical DVR device which also records streaming content. When we first cut the cord about 9 years ago, we used PlayOn to get lots of streaming channels. They now also have a streaming DVR capability, to the cloud or your own PC.

https://www.playon.tv/

YouTube TV has a built in DVR. I would look at that first. $50/month and quality picture.

We have Fire TV boxes or cubes on the TVs. Google WiFi 3 hub for a router. I do have a good OTA antenna, but no DVR. The DVR is so good on YTTV it isn't needed.

If I was to need an OTA DVR I would probably get the Fire TV Recast as it integrates with our Fire TV boxes/cubes.

YouTube TV has a built in DVR. I would look at that first. $50/month and quality picture.

YouTube looks attractive for the channel/network lineup,and the cloud DVR feature. Question: Can you only "record" YouTubeTV content, or somehow record from other sources, e.g. OTA? I suspect the former but don't know.
We also use Netflix& occasionally Amazon for their own content. How would this all fit?
Again, I'm feeling my way here, thanks for the help.

I'll let someone with YTTV weigh in but I think you can record any channel/program that you subscribe to.... including any locals included in your YTTV subscription.

Question: Can you only "record" YouTubeTV content, or somehow record from other sources, e.g. OTA? I suspect the former but don't know.
We also use Netflix& occasionally Amazon for their own content. How would this all fit?
Again, I'm feeling my way here, thanks for the help.

Think of how things are hooked up and connected. OTA is coming in from your house/antenna. YouTubeTV does not know about this, it is internet only, broadcasting to you. If the stream originates, or flows through them, then they can record it. So, as pb4uski mentions, if your local stations are being broadcast to you as part of your YouTubeTV subscription, then certainly they have the ability to DVR. To DVR from the antenna in your home, you are going to require a Tivo box, Fire TV recast, or some other similar device which the antenna coax goes in to.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3173175/best-dvr-for-cord-cutters.html

Very helpful, thanks.

Think of how things are hooked up and connected. OTA is coming in from your house/antenna. YouTubeTV does not know about this, it is internet only, broadcasting to you. If the stream originates, or flows through them, then they can record it. So, as pb4uski mentions, if your local stations are being broadcast to you as part of your YouTubeTV subscription, then certainly they have the ability to DVR. To DVR from the antenna in your home, you are going to require a Tivo box, Fire TV recast, or some other similar device which the antenna coax goes in to.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3173175/best-dvr-for-cord-cutters.html

I’m a little confused on the OP’s question but cloud DVR is included with YTTV and Hulu Live. And it’s an added cost option with Sling TV (10 hrs free, but that’s too limited for most). And you can record any channel included, though much of it is on demand (no need to DVR) with Hulu especially.

I don’t know the details, but AirTV allows Sling streamers to integrate OTA. And more recently there’s DVR capability?

Last edited:
If we had access to OTA, we'd probably just use a Fire TV Recast DVR, along with Netflix and Prime. If you wanted to add some "cable channels" to that, Philo has a good line-up for $20/mo.

We don't have OTA however, so we are forced to subscribe to something just to get the broadcast networks. We use YTTV, which also has a nice line-up of "cable channels," but lacks DW's beloved Hallmark channel and my favorite, the Science channel. Anyway, YTTV has a great interface, good picture quality, unlimited cloud DVR, and it's the only streaming service with PBS live. Hulu Live costs a bit more but has a huge on-demand library in addition to the live stuff.

The cloud DVR is nice to have, but almost everything we watch on YTTV is available on-demand. So it's not really as important as you might think.

I guess that one small advantage a DVR (cloud or otherwise) would give is knowing what episodes of your favorite show you have watched... we have certain shows that tape every new episode and we watch them chronologically and delete each one after we have watched it... so if there is one on the DVR then it is one that we have not yet watched.

I guess that one small advantage a DVR (cloud or otherwise) would give is knowing what episodes of your favorite show you have watched... we have certain shows that tape every new episode and we watch them chronologically and delete each one after we have watched it... so if there is one on the DVR then it is one that we have not yet watched.
Not sure, but if you're comparing to on-demand...

We use Hulu Live, and we've chosen all our favorite programs in "My Stuff." As soon as you do that, it shows all the episodes that are "unwatched" by the user. For shows we watch regularly, if we're up to date it will show "1 unwatched" when a new episode drops and if we click on the show icon, it will bring up the unwatched episode. If we're not current, e.g. DW watching Handmaid's Tale, it showed all episodes as unwatched and she started with season 1 episode 1 and it would hold her place as you watched - so she was watching the entire series in order automatically. Of course you can choose any episode you want, but Hulu keeps track of where you are and returns you to where you left off. It's very handy/intuitive the way it's set up. I'd be surprised if YTTV didn't do the same.

The more we use on-demand, the less we use/care about having a DVR. There are considerably fewer ads in the on-demand (about 1/3rd?) than live broadcasts, but if you want to skip through ALL ads manually you'd need to use the DVR function. Not a real bother to us either way.

FWIW. Apologies if that's not what you were comparing to.

Last edited:
No, it sounds like that would work.... the important thing is some way of knowing what we have watched and what we have not watched. We'll probably trial YTTV when we go back north and our Dish is still on vacation and try it out.... but to be honest, our Dish package only costs us $55/month for 2 tvs with a skinny programming package so YTTV will have to be better since it costs the same.

Last edited:
I don't know what all the skinny Dish package contains, but YTTV likely has a lot more programming, though it may be stuff you don't care about. For me, I was paying Dish $110/month with just one receiver during FB season to get all the channels I cared about, and YTTV gives me nearly the same (+ or - one or two sports channels) for less than half the price.

You can also stream to any other TVs, laptops, tablets, wherever, with only the ~$25 cost of a Roku or Firestick for other TVs.

If none of that interests you, there's probably no reason to switch.

I would encourage anything considering taking the plunge to do the free trial to see how it all works. Others can describe it, but there may be some function that works differently that we don't care about, but you might.

YTTV is probably a more robust package, but all we really care about is PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox and HGTV and they are all included in Welcome Pack... it was $30/month on our last bill. Over the past few years we have used Welcome Pack when we are home since we don't get OTA ($55 with equipment costs and fees) and seasonal hold ($5/month) while away.

I'm not totally sure if Welcome Pack will be available when we get back and go off of seasonal pause in May... it seems like they are trying to phase it out and they have increased the price from $20 to $25 to $30 over the past couple years.... if it isn't available the increase in programming cost may well push us towards YTTV.

https://my.dish.com/upgrades/english-packages/welcome-pack

We use Tivo to record OTA content and Philo for streaming channels. Philo has a built in DVR for no extra cost.

We purchased our Tivo machines so no monthly fee and they share the content meaning you can start watching on one Tivo and finish watching on the other.

Philo is about $20 per month and includes the channels we like - HGTV, History, Discovery, Food, MotorTrend, Hallmark, and about 15 others we don't watch.

I don't know of a DVR that can record both OTA and streaming channels.

I don't know of any OTA DVRs that record streaming content.

If one really wanted to record a streamed content, I think options are 1) stream to computer and use screen capturing software to record the stream that way or 2) use some sort of game capture device.

Both these options are probably not what the OP is looking for as they aren't as simple as just pressing record on a DVR. Yes, there are virtual DVRs, like SlingTV has a DVR option as part of a package but that's virtual and not physical, recorded locally which I think is what the OP is seeking.

Yes, there are virtual DVRs, like SlingTV has a DVR option as part of a package but that's virtual and not physical, recorded locally which I think is what the OP is seeking.
What’s the advantage in a physical DVR versus a “virtual” cloud DVR? I’ve had both and I’d much rather use a cloud DVR. YMMV

What’s the advantage in a physical DVR versus a “virtual” cloud DVR? I’ve had both and I’d much rather use a cloud DVR. YMMV

Why would whether the recording are stored on a hard drive in a box in your home or on a hard drive out in the cloud make any difference?

I would indifferent on that point and my preference would be based on functionality, speed, ease-of-use, presentation, etc.

IME, the physical DVRs that we have used (Dish and Xfinity) have been much more functional, easy-to-use and fast compared to cloud DVRs (Fitzy TV and Sling).

I like physical buttons on remote control/box which I can touch. Similar to what pb4uski said, the physical DVRs seem more responsive.

Similar to why I've stayed away from Virtualbox to run a virtual machine on computer. I prefer to just put an OS on a physical machine.

Guess may be a matter of personal preference.

Why would whether the recording are stored on a hard drive in a box in your home or on a hard drive out in the cloud make any difference?

I would indifferent on that point and my preference would be based on functionality, speed, ease-of-use, presentation, etc.

IME, the physical DVRs that we have used (Dish and Xfinity) have been much more functional, easy-to-use and fast compared to cloud DVRs (Fitzy TV and Sling).

Because like all HDs, the HD in your home unit will fail eventually, and everything you have recorded will be lost. OTOH the cloud HD won't fail that you'll ever know about, and your programming will be safely mirrored on another HD so you won't lose anything. I haven't seen much difference between the physical DVRs we've used (Comcast, DirecTV & Dish) compared to the cloud DVRs (PS Vue & Hulu Live) - except cloud DVRs can be more easily accessed from various devices and locations.

I wouldn't pay a dime extra for a physical DVR taking up space and waiting to fail. And as I've said earlier, we're using on-demand more and DVR less with each passing month. Physical DVRs as we knew them will probably disappear or be a more costly niche item within 10-20 years. But as easy noted, personal preference.

And I was just asking, as I see advantages to cloud DVR, it wasn't meant to challenge the post...

Last edited:
Oh Midpack, you're really stretching it there... pivoting to reliability? really?

While I agree with what you said hard drive failure is so far down the list of priorities in a DVR that it is negligible. It's not like we're taking about mission critical files... if the hard drive fails then on demand is the backup. I've had various DVRs for almost 20 years and have never had a hard drive failure.... or even a hard drive problem for that matter.

My main point was that in my experience that physical DVRs had much better user interfaces, functionality and speed (all attributes critical to using a DVR) so at this time, I prefer them over cloud DVRs.

If you save something to the cloud, and you stop subscribing to whatever service you've saved to, the recording is gone. I may be wrong, but I think some of the streaming services have a time limit they'll keep recordings for.

If it's on your own hardware, you've got it as long as you want. Do backups if it's important enough to keep.

I switched to YTTV this past week for both my main and 2nd home. Love It !!!! It was a major negotiation as Comcast wanted to screw me on the way out (ex: you have to pay $84/mo for our minimum internet only service, AND we will charge you a termination fee). But I managed to get internet at both places for $39.99 each and no termination fee.
Neither place will have data caps (for now). At my main home Comcast has 2 competitors with fast internet, so I know I can always get cheap broadband there. At my 2nd place they are the only game in town with enough bandwidth, so after year 1, I could be screwed.

To the OP. YTTV syncs your viewing habits, channels, and DVR across your phones, Roku's etc.... So it kind of knows you no matter where you are. Plus they have a nice little email each week about what you might like to watch.

I personally think the service is just at the hockey stick moment, where subscriber counts will skyrocket.

Back
Top Bottom