Join Early Retirement Today

Sudden Flood of Spam emails
Old 09-10-2022, 05:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sudden Flood of Spam emails

I have three email accounts and all are accessed via Thunderbird. I would almost never get spam anymore, as the providers seem to have effective filters.

Suddenly my old hotmail account has been bursting with spam emails. Any idea what might have changed to cause the inrush of spam?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I have three email accounts and all are accessed via Thunderbird. I would almost never get spam anymore, as the providers seem to have effective filters.

Suddenly my old hotmail account has been bursting with spam emails. Any idea what might have changed to cause the inrush of spam?
Queen funeral spam?
Old 09-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have had just the opposite. One or 2 spams a day (going to the spam folder), and most of them are actually promotion emails, not a Nigerian prince, et. al.

But, I find they go in spurts. A while back I was getting 5-10/day.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:04 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Back in mid-2016, I learned that my email address had somehow appeared on the Dark Web. Before that, I rarely got any junk/spam emails. After that, I began getting a lot of them. I changed a setting in my web-based email system to allow emails only from senders whose email addresses were in my Contacts list. However, I use that email system's PC-based email, so the web-based Contacts list was incomplete. It took some time to populate that contacts list, as I had a lot of emails erroneously sent to the junk/spam folder (it was tedious but not difficult to fix this). Nowadays, it is rare that an email goes to junk/spam by mistake, and I am more mindful about checking the junk/spam folder for mistakes.

I get about 10 junk/spam emails a day sent to the junk/spam folder. I can block entire domain names but can't do that if they use a gmail domain name.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:36 PM   #5

Same thing happened about a month ago with my old AOL account. This happened right after MS Outlook re-synched the account.

Judging by the amount of spam I get something terrible must have happened at Camp LeJuene. Also, I can't believe how many free things I've won.

So now it's right click Junk, Block Sender 20-25 times a day.

Also, how many times do I have to tell Dementia Times I want to unsubscribe? It's like they're not hearing or remembering me!

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Also, how many times do I have to tell Dementia Times I want to unsubscribe? It's like they're not hearing or remembering me!
Maybe you are just forgetting to unsubscribe.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Judging by the amount of spam I get something terrible must have happened at Camp LeJuene.
Same here. The barrage of emails about that the past few weeks has been ridiculous.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Same here. The barrage of emails about that the past few weeks has been ridiculous.

Same! I just delete them and move on.
Someone on this site started a thread with the name in the title and every time I came across it I automatically swiped to delete it. [emoji23]
Irishgirlyc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 02:40 PM   #9

No spam here. I didn't even know hotmail was still a thing.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 03:08 PM   #10

I am having the same problem with a really old hotmail account too. I went and looked. The Camp LeJuene thing arrived today but only one with that subject. I have younger hotmail account that, so far, is not being spammed. In my case the spam has been coming for a couple of days and, yes, suddenly. A couple of the spams mention businesses with which I actually do business, but I don't use the hotmail account with these businesses. Creepy coincidence though.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:20 PM   #11

I have been getting several the last week or so on my hotmail account also.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

It goes in spurts. More after travel, never understood why. They eventually settle down.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:51 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
No spam here. I didn't even know hotmail was still a thing.
They made everyone convert to an msn address years ago, but maybe some didn’t get the email.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:51 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

Have you done any reinstalling of Thunderbird or your computer lately?

I don't have Thunderbird but another email reader that has an efficient filter.

At times I've had to restore my PC and seems like the learning the spam filter did forgets so I'd have to re-train. Re-training by marking bunch of spam as junk. After the email reader learns (in about a week of my marking), the email reader goes back to about 95% accurate at spotting spam.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:58 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I use MailWasher Pro to filter my email on my Laptop PC. It keeps SPAM at bay. I rarely get emails on any other platform unless I am traveling, I am not there yet. I am still a PC person. I much prefer a full keyboard. Phones for me are toy when it comes to doing anything constructive, but great as a phone. MMDV
Old 09-12-2022, 07:02 AM   #16

maybe the problem is hotmail? It's a very old email provider, probably doesn't have the best spam filters.

And if I wanted to target "older" folks, I'd go for it - hotmail, aol, yahoo, etc.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #17

My older e-mail account is powered by Yahoo and has been flooded with spam for the past several weeks. My newer one is on iCloud and has not been affected (yet). I've been trying to migrate to the newer one but after 20 years it's a long process, and I''ll need to keep it for quite a while as every once in a while I get an e-mail from someone I haven't heard from in many years.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:26 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

This happened to me where I was getting one spam email every 10 seconds for two days. This was done deliberately by a hacker so that I would not notice the Amazon order confirmation emails I was getting. He hacked my Amazon account, used my $600 gift card balance and went shopping. This was before the days of MFA.

I'll give credit to Amazon though. After 2 weeks, they gave me back the $600.
Ncc1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:09 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

So I've had a ATT/BellSouth/yahoo email account forever.

Recently the spam emails have increased dramatically for me....I mean like 10-15 a day. I'm thinking the ATT/BellSouth/yahoo email account (it changed owners many times) are using my old email address (had it since email began) as an experiment of some kind to see how low they can go at pestering me......It is starting to work as I have finally taken a serious transition to outlook email.

Very frustrating but trying to move on.
FlaMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:00 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Have you done any reinstalling of Thunderbird or your computer lately?..........
I've not changed anything, but isn't the filtering done by Microsoft on their end?