Join Early Retirement Today

Suggestions for a smartphone
Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Suggestions for a smartphone

My wife and I have been living with ancient cell phone technology for quite some time. We've been using a basic cell phone with sliding keyboard (Pantech Laser) for about 6 years now.

Unfortunately, these cell phones do not like to play nice via bluetooth with the last vehcicle we purchased. So, I would like to purchase a smartphone to replace mine, as I tend to be the one who is driving this vehicle.

Neither of us has a big urge to get the latest and greatest (and most expensive!). Been looking at some of the older smartphones, but I wonder if that's just going to be more trouble than it is worth to save some money.

Currently looking at the Samsung Galaxy S5. These can be purchased new for about $200-$225 (AT&T network). Any comments about this model and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2017, 11:41 PM   #2

Try the Motorola E4. You should be able to get an unlocked GSM version for about $125. I use Ultra mobile for $30 per month with unlimited data and unlimited calling to 60 countries plus international roaming at very low rates. You can cancel anytime. We travel a lot so this type of plan is ideal for us. You also get $10 international roaming credit that rolls over.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:49 PM   #3

Many of the off brand carriers have sub $100 smart phones. I have Metro PCS. They are on the T Mobile network. you might even get a 2 for 1 deal. I have the LG Stylo. I think it was about $100. $40/mo for 3 GBs. I see a couple of Samsungs for $35

Remember some of the big carriers subsidize the phone then add it on your bill per month. So it's $225 plus $80/mo
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Try the Motorola E4. You should be able to get an unlocked GSM version for about $125. I use Ultra mobile for $30 per month with unlimited data and unlimited calling to 60 countries plus international roaming at very low rates. You can cancel anytime. We travel a lot so this type of plan is ideal for us. You also get $10 international roaming credit that rolls over.
Our usage would be in the US, maybe Canada. I don't expect my wife and I to be heavy data users, but we'll see. We plan to move out of state in the next year or two, so we might be using a smartphone for directions, traffic, finding retail establishments, etc.

I will check out the Motorola E4. Since our current provider is AT&T, a device we get for that account will be GSM capable. At this time, we don't plan to switch providers since our daughter is also on the account. But she moved out of state herself recently, and she is in the middle of opening her own provider account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Remember some of the big carriers subsidize the phone then add it on your bill per month. So it's $225 plus $80/mo
The $200-$225 cost I mentioned above was for a retail purchase of the phone. No agreement necessary. The Galaxy S4 is a few years old and discontinued, but it appears to still be a serviceable mobile phone.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Currently looking at the Samsung Galaxy S5. These can be purchased new for about $200-$225 (AT&T network). Any comments about this model and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have had my Galaxy S5 for two years (TMobile) and have been very happy with it. It's a decent size and is running on Android 6 (Marshmallow). It has several nice features including water resistance, microSD card and a swappable battery that Samsung left off the successor S6. Its blue tooth connectivity is good and it has a nice display. While it was the Samsung flagship and even afterwards, it topped the Consumer Report smartphone reviews. I'll probably eventually get a replacement but have seen nothing compelling recently. I bought a spare battery and charger/holder so I rarely worry about battery life. It takes less than a minute to swap out the battery.

Whatever phone you get - especially an older one - make sure it comes with a recent version of Android or can be updated. I probably wouldn't buy one that didn't already have at least Android 6.

P.S. one nice thing about TMobile is that I get free text, calls and data in Canada.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:30 AM   #6

We use a Moto-X Pure. Bought it unlocked so we can easily switch carriers. Good phone, charges quickly. It works on both GSM and CDMA making it ideal for overseas travel, as well. Camera takes good pics.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:34 AM   #7

Might not help you, but we get the same phones our adult children have-we try to stay at least one generation of phone near theirs. That way, we have immediate (nearly) help when we need some help figuring out how to use.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:38 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a Lenovo/Motorola G4 Play and DW has the G4. ~$150 online but I found a deal at $100 for mine. Great phone... stock Andriod without the overlays that many cellphone manufacturers add-in. Love it.

We have AT&T too. Just take out your sim card (assumes that your current phone has a sim card), put it in the new phone and you shoudl be good to go. I did it myself but if yu buy at a retailer I suspect that they would do it for you.

Can also be used for many other carriers.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #9

I have a phone via Google Fi, a Nexus. It's a nice higher end phone, but the point is the plans are far cheaper than AT&T and other carriers. I paid about $300 for the phone, but my monthly bill is always less than $30.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:18 AM   #10
gone traveling

if you get ATT, don't expect it to work in the mountains or very far from an interstate. Verison give the best coverage in the south east--my experience only.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:35 AM   #11

If I had to buy a new smartphone right now, I would probably go with a used iPhone 6
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:35 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
if you get ATT, don't expect it to work in the mountains or very far from an interstate. Verison give the best coverage in the south east--my experience only.
I have the exact opposite experience, and I'm in the mountains, not too close to the interstate, and somewhat in the southeast. And when I look at their coverage maps, I see a lot more gaps in Verizon's coverage. Best to look at the coverage maps for your (OP's) own area and where you expect to travel. Just looked at the OP's profile--California. So neither of our experiences is meaningful.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:01 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

A couple months ago, I got the Lenovo/Motorola G4 Play for about $80 from Consumer Cellular. It's a pretty decent basic phone.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:07 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It is still there... IME $80 is a great price for that phone.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:14 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I have the exact opposite experience, and I'm in the mountains, not too close to the interstate, and somewhat in the southeast. And when I look at their coverage maps, I see a lot more gaps in Verizon's coverage. Best to look at the coverage maps for your (OP's) own area and where you expect to travel. Just looked at the OP's profile--California. So neither of our experiences is meaningful.
Pay careful attention to these maps if you use data - coverage does not necessarily mean full usage of all features and or roaming. They will obviously show the best case for all services on the generic map. Use the layers or overlays to view coverage for the specific services you want to be able to use.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Pay careful attention to these maps if you use data - coverage does not necessarily mean full usage of all features and or roaming. They will obviously show the best case for all services on the generic map. Use the layers or overlays to view coverage for the specific services you want to be able to use.
It's also my experience that Verizon did not work at my house and many places in the area, while AT&T is mostly fine. I'm in a pretty sketchy area coverage wise.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We have had both Verizon and AT&T. In our area, Verizon generally has better coverage, but at our house AT&T has better coverage so that is what we have.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
One thing that's always bugged me about some of these smartphones is size... Some of them are huge, and people look like they're carrying around a mini tablet with them! That would be a big hassle for a man, unless they happen to carry a (man) purse. Not for me. Too active to have to worry about that.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
One thing that's always bugged me about some of these smartphones is size... Some of them are huge, and people look like they're carrying around a mini tablet with them! That would be a big hassle for a man, unless they happen to carry a (man) purse. Not for me. Too active to have to worry about that.
+1

Samsung's are like having a mini pad. I would need a murse to hold it. I had an IPhone 5 forever until I got frustrated with the battery. Just got a IPhone 6s and very pleased. I am not all that keen on Android handhelds.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:09 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
Funny that you should say that. I originally bought DW's G4 for me but found it to be uncomfortable carrying it in my pant's pocket so she got that and I bought the G4 Play for me. While the size difference is only 1/2", the 5" screen size is much more comfortable in my pant's pocket than the 5 1/2" screen size.