Join Early Retirement Today

Tablet for eBook reading?
Old 09-12-2022, 01:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am looking for a portable reader for mainly fiction eBooks. I have gotten tired of reading eBooks on my computer monitor. I would like to be able to sit in a comfortable chair or against some pillows on the bed and read. My smartphone nor my laptop is cutting it.

Given my eyesight, I would prefer to be able to replicate the size of a 5"x8" to 6"x9" paperback book. This appears to be close to the screen size of a 10.5" tablet (16:10 display ratio) in portrait mode. I really don't need it for web browsing or other activities.

Does anyone use a tablet for eBook reading? Have any advice or suggestions in my search? The dedicated eReaders (Kindle, Nook, Kobo) are too small, and I don't see any others, unless I missed it.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2022, 01:38 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Given my eyesight..."

You can adjust the font size on all the eReaders. So you can have relatively large print even on a relatively small screen.
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe 6 months ago DW and I switched from Nexus 9s to Samsung Galaxy S8s. The Nexus 9s are kind of obsolete but a nice size. The Galaxy 8s are better in all respects except they are a little bigger than we would like.

DW is a heavy ebook reader, maybe 50-75 a year. My "reading" is pretty much limited to The Economist magazine downloaded when I am away from my dead trees version. In both cases we use the tablets for web browsing and email. With email, our settings are that messages are not removed from the servers when we read them. This means that they will be downloaded to our regular computers when we sign on.

If you want Windows and can tolerate the size, Microsoft Surface Pro 3s and 4s seem to be really cheap right now. They are really nice machnes. An SP7, usually docked to a standard monitor, kb and mouse, is my regular computer. I have an SP3 docked as part of my ham radio setup.
Old 09-12-2022, 01:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
"Given my eyesight..."

You can adjust the font size on all the eReaders. So you can have relatively large print even on a relatively small screen.
Reading fiction with very few words on a line is not an enjoyable experience. Many people have gotten used to it, but I am not in that crowd. I would rather be reading than constantly swiping.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:01 PM   #5

The answer is an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite reader.

They have a "Signature" edition that is pretty sweet. Backlit. Adjustable font. Easy tap page forward/back. Screen is easy on the eyes.
bloom2708 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I am looking for a portable reader for mainly fiction eBooks. I have gotten tired of reading eBooks on my computer monitor. I would like to be able to sit in a comfortable chair or against some pillows on the bed and read. My smartphone nor my laptop is cutting it.

Given my eyesight, I would prefer to be able to replicate the size of a 5"x8" to 6"x9" paperback book. This appears to be close to the screen size of a 10.5" tablet (16:10 display ratio) in portrait mode. I really don't need it for web browsing or other activities.

Does anyone use a tablet for eBook reading? Have any advice or suggestions in my search? The dedicated eReaders (Kindle, Nook, Kobo) are too small, and I don't see any others, unless I missed it.
If you think the Kindle Paperwhite is too small and given your requirements, you should check out the Amazon Fire Tablets.

If you are not going to browse the internet or use downloadable apps from Apple or Google, this should hit your sweet spot. Sounds like you could use the one with the 10.1" screen, the Amazon Fire HD 10.1.

I have used a tablet for reading, the Google Nexus 7 (2013). I has an 8" screen and worked just fine until I got a Kindle Paperwhite. Since then I read exclusively on the Paperwhite. One thing that the Kindle app on my tablet had that the Kindle Paperwhite does not have is colored fonts and backgrounds. I could change the color of the fonts and the screen from black words on white background to black words on light green background (or a sepia background) or invert it from black words on white background to white words on black background (this was good for night reading in bed.) I understand the newer Kindle Paperwhite's have the ability to go white words on black background but mine is older and doesn't have that feature.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
The answer is an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite reader.

They have a "Signature" edition that is pretty sweet. Backlit. Adjustable font. Easy tap page forward/back. Screen is easy on the eyes.
Agree. The Paperwhite is the best e-reader if all you want to do is read (not for web browsing . . .).
Old 09-12-2022, 02:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

My vote is for the Kindle Paperwhite. I've had all the different Kindle models: Oasis, Fire, etc. and like the Paperwhite best as it fits nicely in your hand, is lightweight and backlit so there is no glare.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:22 PM   #9

There are bigger screen e-readers available.

I’ve been reading on my iPad/iPhone for years and have recently thought about getting a dedicate e-reader instead. I’d probably go with the Kobo Clara 2E that was just announced, but it has a 6” screen which is probably too small for you. The Kindle Paperwhite has a 6.8” screen. There are e-readers available that have bigger screens. A quick look shows the Kobo Sage with an 8” screen.

Edit to add the Kobo Elipse has a 10.3” screen. Personally, I think that’s too big and would use a larger font on a smaller screen.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:24 PM   #10

Depending on how you read, there are two great choices.

An iPad is wonderful with its bright, clear, sharp display. You can use the Kindle app on it and sync it effortlessly. The drawback is that it gets pretty heavy to hold. If it's on a desk in front of you, or on your lap, it might be the best choice.

But if you hold it like you would hold a physical book, the Kindle Paperwhite is hands down your choice. Lightweight and pretty foolproof.

If you want to get into BTD territory, there is a more expensive Kindle called the Oasis, and it's the same as the Paperwhite but with a few extra bells and whistles. That's what I use.

One of the things Amazon has really done right is to make syncing between a Kindle and the Kindle apps on both iPad and iPhone a seamless process. I can pick up any of them and immediately be at the page I left off on one of the other gadgets.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:30 PM   #11

I, too, vote for a Kindle for the best reading experience, but 2nd best would be the Amazon Fire HD 10". They are very affordable. You have control over font size and the colors such as a sepia-toned background or white font on a black background which can help with eyestrain when reading. It's also in color so if any pictures are included in your reading material they will be in color. You can zoom in on things. And, it's a tablet! So you can browse the web, check email, take pictures, do Zoom calls, play games, etc, etc. And they are not heavy.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:41 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Hard to beat the Amazon Fire HD 10” for value. I prefer the Fire over the iPad for both reading and movies/videos. I have both. I had an early generation Kindle but just can’t justify a single purpose device. We already have too many things that are constantly being recharged.
TripleLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:59 PM   #13

I really like my Ipad Mini. I upload library books on it all the time. It is great for travel, too.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I really like my Ipad Mini. I upload library books on it all the time. It is great for travel, too.
With your iPad, are you limited to having your eBooks tied to Apple Store, or can they be uploaded to the iPad and viewed separately with a reader app? (sorry, I don't own any Apple devices) It's a major qualm I have about Kindle (and B&N Nook, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
An iPad is wonderful with its bright, clear, sharp display. You can use the Kindle app on it and sync it effortlessly. The drawback is that it gets pretty heavy to hold. If it's on a desk in front of you, or on your lap, it might be the best choice.

But if you hold it like you would hold a physical book, the Kindle Paperwhite is hands down your choice. Lightweight and pretty foolproof.
I prefer having a book either flat on the desk or in my lap. With my lazy right eye, I need the "book" to be as stable as possible to keep from jumping lines. As such, I am not someone who reads one-handed.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:36 PM   #15

With an iPad, as long as you have the app, you’re good.

Books is the Apple version, but you can use the Kindle app or Overdrive for library books. There are many options, which is both good and bad.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:40 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Kindle Paperwhite. It is best for reading. I find all the tablets less comfortable to use.

Then again a paperback book is the competition to me.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:52 PM   #17

I know we Kindle Paperwhite owners love our e-readers, I've got one too, but the OP specifically said it was too small.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Reading fiction with very few words on a line is not an enjoyable experience. Many people have gotten used to it, but I am not in that crowd. I would rather be reading than constantly swiping.
I’m not sure if you can do it on a Kindle but on my iPad using the Kindle App, you can scroll and the reading flows nicely. I don’t like swiping either.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:21 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I like the Kindle Paperwhite while actually reading a book, but I don't find it very user-friendly to do anything else. If I try to swipe backwards I get frustrated at how many attempts are treated as a forward swipe. I also find it hard to tap the right place on the top of the screen to be able to go back to my library, to be able to search for something, or just see how far along I am in the book. Some books give the % at the bottom, but some do not.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:40 PM   #20

Consider one of the Lenovo duets. Two sizes to choose from with detachable keyboards. I recently replaced an older 13 inch Chromebook laptop and got the original Duet 3 half off at Bestbuy for 149.00. Works great for just about anything. I use it mostly as a tablet and love the size. Its not as light as a Kindle but for two hands it works well. You can make it lighter by removing the back kickstand.
Bonus you can surf the web and watch videos. Down load apps like earlyretirement.org and chat on it too. I think it's the best of both worlds. Like an XL cell phone.
It works well in both portrait and tablet mode.

https://youtu.be/imnTHlGtf40
IMG20220912203328.jpg
2HOTinPHX is offline   Reply With Quote