Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It also lessens the chance of losing your card since you don’t have the risk of leaving it in the machine after entering your pin or signing a bit of paper. You don’t even need to take the card out of your wallet, just place it against the reader at the till. It is great for use on buses in the UK and Europe as mentioned above, really speeds up the flow of passengers getting on
So I guess that RFID protecting wallet wasn't a great purchase for me. I assume it would block you're ability to pay without removing from your wallet. Also, what if there is more than one card in your wallet?

For the record, I'm a Neanderthal, I just started using Apple Pay when I think about it. I do like it. I always have my phone me and easy to access. It would be also easy to just get my wallet out if I didn't have to open it or remove the card. The thing I like about Apple Pay is the security. Does it work the same with Tap cards? I like that a merchant doesn't actually store my credit card information with Apple Pay.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 05:40 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Update: I have a PenFed Visa card with RFID. The RFID works most places, but there are a couple of places (a local supermarket, and Target) where when I use the RFID, an error message comes up on the terminal, and I then have to use the chip instead. Visa then contacts me that there was suspicious activity on the card, and I have to clear this up within 30 days or the card goes dead. This has happened 3 times now.

So, I contacted Visa and told them what is happening. PenFed had already sent me a replacement card after this happened the 2nd time. Visa said there was nothing they could do about it, since something is triggering security parameters for possible fraudulent activity, and to contact PenFed. So, I did. The PenFed rep (after I finally got them to understand that I was talking about the RFID and not the chip), put me on hold for a minute while he checked with someone. He came back and said this is a known problem. They rolled out the RFID cards a little too quickly and something on their end is not quite ready yet (unfortunately, no real technical details). He said it should work much better after sometime in October.

So, I am not going to use the RFID until later this year, and just use the chip until then.

FYI, and just passing this on for fellow PenFed users.

I do hope they work out the kinks soon, since I like using the RFID. Also, I am doing an Italy/Paris trip in the spring and would like to use it over there.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:28 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used a commuter card recently where I just need to tap to pay then I go through the turnstile entrance. Was convenient compared to fishing for coins or having to insert the card first.

Plus, I have to card set to replenish automatically so I didn't have to go to the vending machine to add more cash like some of the other suckers .
Old 09-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I used a commuter card recently where I just need to tap to pay then I go through the turnstile entrance. Was convenient compared to fishing for coins or having to insert the card first.

Plus, I have to card set to replenish automatically so I didn't have to go to the vending machine to add more cash like some of the other suckers .
We are off to London and Paris in November and I’m assured by friends that a regular tap and go credit card works well. The tap and go commuter card in London, Oyster, costs £7 to buy the card before you begin to load up so tourists are advised to simply use their contactless credit and debit cards unless they are going to be there a lot and buy enough trips to overcome the initial card fee.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We are off to London and Paris in November and I’m assured by friends that a regular tap and go credit card works well. The tap and go commuter card in London, Oyster, costs £7 to buy the card before you begin to load up so tourists are advised to simply use their contactless credit and debit cards unless they are going to be there a lot and buy enough trips to overcome the initial card fee.
Once I got over the doubt of "Is that tap and go commuter card really going to work?", I'm a happy customer .
Old 09-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

We used tap extensively in Australia last Feb. We have been using it at home in Canada for at least the past two years.

We used it twice in Greece today and many times over the past few weeks.

Tap depends on the amount. For larger amounts we are asked to use pin instead of simply tapping.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote