Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2019, 06:53 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How bout one of the old classics, like Grand Hotel, from the Thirties. Black and white. Greta Garbo. Great escapism. From the modern films, I nominate Deliverance : Man vs Man, Man vs Nature, Man vs Himself. And great camera work.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
... The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I'm a huge Clint Eastwood fan, but I'll just include one of his movies

The Good The Bad and The Ugly (in my lifetime I believe I have literally seen it over 200 times)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
... The Good The Bad and The Ugly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
9. The Good The Bad and The Ugly

When we talk about memorable movies, let's not forget the music in these movies which has a big part in making them extraordinary.

Who does not recognize the tune in the above movie, even if he does not remember the Italian composer responsible for it, Ennio Morricone?

Let's hear that music again, this time by the Danish National Symphony Orchestra.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #183
Full time employment: Posting here.

A few which I haven't seen mentioned. Some are pretty obscure:

Duck Soup

Jules & Jim

Psycho

the "7 Up" series, by Michael Apted (a fascinating series of documentaries following the same British children, then adults, every 7 years of their lives)

Wild Tales (incredibly inventive Argentine film nominated for an Oscar a few years ago)

Yossi & Jagger

Diva

American Splendor

My Architect
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When we talk about memorable movies, let's not forget the music in these movies which has a big part in making them extraordinary.

Who does not recognize the tune in the above movie, even if he does not remember the Italian composer responsible for it, Ennio Morricone?

Let's hear that music again, this time by the Danish National Symphony Orchestra.

The Danish National does a very good " Waltz of the Godfather" too.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:55 PM   #185

Did anyone list The French Connection ?
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
The Danish National does a very good " Waltz of the Godfather" too.
A beautiful piece. I just looked up to learn that it was composed by Nino Rota who also wrote "Love Theme" (Speak softly love) for the same movie. Another amazing Italian composer. They often do not get the recognition from the general public.

And I just learned that Nino Rota also wrote the theme song in "Romeo and Juliet". These composers are not one-hit wonder.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #187

One movie I can watch over and over again is the 1949 classic "The Third Man" with Orson Welles, Alida Valli and Joseph Cotten. Atmospheric British film noir with memorable cinematography. And speaking of music soundtracks ... a lone instrument throughout.

This trailer summarizes it well.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
a lone instrument throughout.
I remember the Harry Lime theme as a kid....loved the zither.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #189
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Except for posts #86, 93 and 97, that would be 100% correct.
C'mon, that's a 98% success rate. That's better than a lot of our Firecalc outlooks.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I remember the Harry Lime theme as a kid....loved the zither.
Here's a great scene from the film -- Harry Lime's friend has betrayed him to the authorities, and as they wait to spring the trap, the shadow of an approaching man appears on a building wall.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's a great scene from the film -- Harry Lime's friend has betrayed him to the authorities, and as they wait to spring the trap, the shadow of an approaching man appears on a building wall.
+1

I'm going to have to watch that movie again......if I can find it.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
+1

I'm going to have to watch that movie again......if I can find it.

Pretty sure it's on Netflix.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Pretty sure it's on Netflix.
There's the rub.....we use the library.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:50 PM   #194
Dryer sheet aficionado

I dont have 10.... but

Robin and the seven Hoods- Dean Martin, Sammy Davis jr, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Peter Falk

IT's a mad mad mad mad world

Spaceballs

The Abyss

Oh Brother where art thou

No time for seargents

2009 A Space Odyssey

The day of the Jackal

Jeremiah Johnson

Better Off Dead - Quirky Cult classic!

Shawshank Redemption

Indiana Jones (first one) - changed special effects forever
brainsagolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Classic! That movie came out in 1967, I was 10 yrs old. I rode the bus to go see it in the theater with my brother. Every time I hear that "Wa Wa Wa" doodle de doo "Wa Wa Wa" I stop to hear the whole song. It's mesmerizing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Here's the original soundtrack.

I never thought about how they produced the "wa wa", and what musical instruments would have that sound.

I also love the electric guitar. Wonderful music that goes with the Western genre so well. And this from an Italian composer.

PS. In the above Danish Orchestra video, a Youtube viewer wrote that at 1:05, they showed the fate of a musician who missed a note.

PPS. At 1:32, look at the earrings worn by Tuva Semmingsen, the "wa wa" vocalizer.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #197

To be frank (blunt), I find most of Eastwood's work to be mediocre. Yeah, it's popular, but most of his characters have comic-book depth. His best films are a triumph of casting -- Gene Hackman as Little Bill in "The Unforgiven" along with Richard Harris as English Bob. Eastwood himself is a cardboard cutout. "In the Line of Fire" is good because the villain is John Malkovich. Eastwood is Dirty Harry with an earpiece.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #198

Quote:
To be frank (blunt), I find most of Eastwood's work to be mediocre. Yeah, it's popular, but most of his characters have comic-book depth. His best films are a triumph of casting -- Gene Hackman as Little Bill in "The Unforgiven" along with Richard Harris as English Bob. Eastwood himself is a cardboard cutout. "In the Line of Fire" is good because the villain is John Malkovich. Eastwood is Dirty Harry with an earpiece.

That, dear sir, is sacrilege. Your posting privileges are hereby revoked for a period of one month.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have to agree that movies that Clint Eastwood starred in, particularly the Dirty Harry series, may be memorable, but in the same way that Tarentino's movies are, along with the latter's casts. They have entertaining values, but are not in the same class as Chinatown or the Godfather.

But, but, but The Good, Bad, and Ugly as a movie is truly iconic for its genre, and of course the music is a big part of it.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #200

I think Unforgiven was perfect acting by Clint. So understated, and then such broken rage at the end. He was great (as were the costars) in that one.