The 3 year old phone..

Case# 34298. Duet Chromebook can't find the hospital's free wireless sign-in page. Some day I'll solve that, but until I do my Pixel 3 is a sweet 5GHz tether to youse guys.

Wanted an iPhone 12. Can afford it but just can’t bring myself to do it. Purchased my first ever iPhone today via the Apple site. iPhone 11 unlocked 128gb. After 10% veteran discount and 5% Chase PayPal I paid $555. Excited to see if Apple is all I have heard it is.

It would be nice if most phones had replaceable batteries. My flip phones all did, and I replaced the batteries several times to extend their useful lives. They all did far more than I needed - kinda like computers. OTOH, laptop makers have been ditching replaceable batteries too these past few years, along with soldering the RAM to the motherland.
It's a great idea, at least in theory. Our Samsung S5 Actives have replaceable batteries. But from what we've seen, there are two issues with this. One, any OEM battery from Samsung has likely been sitting in a warehouse unused and uncharged for years. As such, most find these batteries are unable to hold a charge, or they don't last as long as their current battery. The other issue is 3rd party batteries. These rarely come close to performance as the original batteries and are more prone to failure.

True on both counts. But if you're trying to get a couple more years out of your phone, a little less battery performance isn't a bad trade-off.
It's a great idea, at least in theory. Our Samsung S5 Actives have replaceable batteries. But from what we've seen, there are two issues with this. One, any OEM battery from Samsung has likely been sitting in a warehouse unused and uncharged for years. As such, most find these batteries are unable to hold a charge, or they don't last as long as their current battery. The other issue is 3rd party batteries. These rarely come close to performance as the original batteries and are more prone to failure.

Wanted an iPhone 12. Can afford it but just can’t bring myself to do it. Purchased my first ever iPhone today via the Apple site. iPhone 11 unlocked 128gb. After 10% veteran discount and 5% Chase PayPal I paid $555. Excited to see if Apple is all I have heard it is.

Maximus, great to see you:cool:

I cannot understand a taxed odd 600 for a phone Maximus.
I'd suggest you consider it as a mobile informational device, w/phone options.
Then theres the $ money maker, the service providers costs.

At least you're not locked into a service contract. I'd suggest shopping its service provider around,.. annually.
Service providers give away devices for 2-3 yr contracts.
I do not want to spoil your anticipation, but it is a computing device primarily and phone secondarily, no?

My 10+ yr old 9.99 tracfone is a cellphone, with other capabilities secondarily.
What marketers have you believing is a 5G Capable iPhone 11, discounted from near 1k 2yrs back :facepalm: is something other than a mobile informational device called a cell phone now discounted to $XXX, similar to a primary cellphone for x :blush:

I settle for up to 4G service options, my iphone6 was $20 needing work.
A >5.00 screen protector holds the cracked screen together fine.
Apple was recently sued for iOS manipulation, and malfeasance, denying upgrades to older devices enabling it toward continuing its enormous revenues selling hardware(iPhones), ...it lost.
No doubt my claims being reviewed, or the checks in the mail:rolleyes:

If it's a cellphone, I'd acquire a cellphone.
If it's primarily an internet connection device, well thats your wheelhouse.
Just another internet interpertation.

Good luck & Best wishes..........

Typing this on my new Moto G Power. It's a nice device for $170. That said, I just noticed on Amazon that I could have bought a $17 battery replacement kit for my old Moto g4 that would have kept it going for another 4 years.

Typing this on my new Moto G Power. It's a nice device for $170. That said, I just noticed on Amazon that I could have bought a $17 battery replacement kit for my old Moto g4 that would have kept it going for another 4 years.

I bought the G Power in October for $175 too. Great phone with a real 3 day battery.

Last week I bought the Moto G Power at Best Buy $179 less $5 from BB, 5% off on my Discover card and another 3% using Ebates(Rakuten). The 2 reasons to give up my Moto e4 plus, was no VoLTE and 32GB was filling up fast. So I will leave the e4 in the car for dedicated Android Auto.

I'm also jumping on the Moto upgrade bandwagon, going from the G5 plus to the Moto G Stylus, got it for $175. One thing I noticed is that the Motorola Migrate app that is on my G5 plus is no longer supported. How are you moving the data/apps on your old Moto to the new?

I've had my G Power about a month. It's the best phone I have ever had. Android 10 is super and smooth. Plus, the camera is very, very good! The battery easily lasts 3 days if you are a normal user (not much streaming, etc). Heck, after 3 days I am usually at 40% and I charge it anyway.

It puts my old Samsung S7 Edge to shame.

We gave DS a Moto g power for an early Christmas present since his phone was flaking out on him. Seems like a really solid phone for $180 (unlocked).

DW and I both have G7 Plays (that replaced a G4 and G4 Play about a year ago)... we've had really good experience with Motos. Great phones for between $100-200.

Last edited:
I'm also jumping on the Moto upgrade bandwagon, going from the G5 plus to the Moto G Stylus, got it for $175. One thing I noticed is that the Motorola Migrate app that is on my G5 plus is no longer supported. How are you moving the data/apps on your old Moto to the new?
Do you have your data synced with the google cloud in setup on the old phone. If that is the case as I did a little while ago moving from a G7 to a G power (the battery on the G7 swelled up after the warranty was over) You just plug in the sim card charge the battery turn it on and wait, after a bit the phone will show you a list of apps that it will install for the phone. Any data on the phone could be copied thru google drive. Contacts autosync also.

Do you have your data synced with the google cloud in setup on the old phone. If that is the case as I did a little while ago moving from a G7 to a G power (the battery on the G7 swelled up after the warranty was over) You just plug in the sim card charge the battery turn it on and wait, after a bit the phone will show you a list of apps that it will install for the phone. Any data on the phone could be copied thru google drive. Contacts autosync also.

Google did the same for me from my Samsung S7 to my new moto G Power. It took about 20 minutes and a reboot or two.

I would go through a storage using wireless (ftp: AndFTP is pretty robust) or an OTG cable.it takes longer but I prefer this way so I can do a spring cleaning of my data and make sure I start using a new phone without my old junk in it..

Google synced everything except Google Authenticator while I was charging my new phone.

Both Verizon and At&T offer cloud transfer apps. I used Verizon and it worked fine for everything except passwords.
Google synced everything except Google Authenticator while I was charging my new phone.

Sounds like it should be simple using Google to sync everything. There were some shipping delays, should get the new phone next week.

Since posting, I chatted with a BHphoto rep. He claimed that this model does indeed support voLTE so that is encouraging. I was thinking of ordering one given that BHphoto has returns available until after the Christmas season, however, I see that this phone is not actually in stock currently.

I am currently on a tello plan with a CDMA/Sprint phone. My phone will be obsoleted mid-2021 so I am interested in identifying replacements.

Thanks for the reference.

-gauss

I was in the same position as you. I was using a Moto G6 Play on Tello and it wouldn't work with GSM (what they're moving to). I recently purchased an unlocked 2020 Moto G Fast for $150 and it works well with the new Tello GSM....and it's nice phone for the price.

iPhone SE2 or iPhone 12 mini - Low Cost / Hi Quality Apple

Apple is wising up and offering lower cost iPhones that go the distance.

Don

The kids , young adults destroy theirs because of heavy use or in the past dropping it in the creek. Did you know people write books on their phone? It must be a generation thing as I find typing on it extremely frustrating. The kids are on them all the time. It seems sharing the mundane minutes of their lives but I really have no idea what they are so intently writing.

The Mrs and my Android phones made it to three years. With prior phones It was like clockwork once the phones were off contract the battery would die, failing to keep a charge.
Battery management and batteries have clearly improved. I’ve looked you can replace the battery for $100.

When the time for a new phone arrives I am thinking of eschewing the $450 phones and going for a budget model. My needs: texting, calling, the internet, weather and directions.

Has anyone tried a budget friendly model? Willing to share.

Both my kids have purchased quality, refurbished phones for under $200 at a company called www.backmarket.com and no, it's not "black" it is "back".

My last "non-budget" phone was bought in 2006 if I recall. Since then, I haven't spent more than $200 and they have all lasted me two or more years. They don't include a lot of bloatware, either so the performance out of the box is phenomenal. My latest phone was bought in early 2019 (Moto X4) and works perfectly. I see no good reason to spend $1000+ on a cell phone.

I'm at 30 months on my Moto G6, and the battery is holding up amazingly well. I have noticed in the last month that sometimes the USB charging connection is a bit finicky. I have to pay attention that it makes contact.

I hope I can make 4 years, but at 3 years, it will come down to about $7 per month, which nearly puts the cost in the noise.

Don

I have a four-year old Apple SE with a new battery installed this year. It is still going strong and doesn't owe me a thing. Love the small size for fitting in my hand or pocket.

Last edited:

Don
I will replace my iPhone 7 this spring (just over 3 1/2 years) and mainly considering the iPhone SE2 or iPhone 12 mini. Am also considering the iPhone XR, but am a little concerned about a short useful life with the older processor.

I will replace my iPhone 7 this spring (just over 3 1/2 years) and mainly considering the iPhone SE2 or iPhone 12 mini. Am also considering the iPhone XR, but am a little concerned about a short useful life with the older processor.

I have the SE2 and I have been very pleased with it. It does everything I want, is a good size and holds the charge well. And it was reasonably priced.

I might want a little more screen area for navigation, but like both the price and updated processor of the SE2.

Back
Top Bottom