Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2020, 09:05 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 12,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
Ok I think it is time to upgrade. Just purchased an unlocked Moto g power and should break even after selling my 3 ye old g5 plus on ebay. Kind of curious how a 5000 mAh battery and android 10 perform.

I've had my G Power about a month. It's the best phone I have ever had. Android 10 is super and smooth. Plus, the camera is very, very good! The battery easily lasts 3 days if you are a normal user (not much streaming, etc). Heck, after 3 days I am usually at 40% and I charge it anyway.

It puts my old Samsung S7 Edge to shame.
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2020, 09:09 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,098
Just updated my 6 year old Tracfone with a new Tracfone. I got the Samsung A10 for $49.99 on sale from $159.99. This will be way better for me with 32GB instead of 8 GB. I expect to keep this phone for a minimum of 5 years.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
The 3 year old phone..
Old 12-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets
G8tr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 185
The 3 year old phone..

It would be nice if most phones had replaceable batteries. My flip phones all did, and I replaced the batteries several times to extend their useful lives. They all did far more than I needed - kinda like computers. OTOH, laptop makers have been ditching replaceable batteries too these past few years, along with soldering the RAM to the motherland.
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:52 PM   #124
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 113
Mine is 7 years young. A Samsung Galaxy S4, that is.
Running Android 10, and impeccably. Ask me how!
smihaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets
G8tr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 185
Bought the Moto G Power on Amazon yesterday. Wanted the Pixel 4a after seeing the OLED screen, but it's was $350 vs $175 for the G Power. The Pixel was also fixed at 128 GB memory, while the G Power can go up to 512 GB with a micro SD card. I can pretty much replace my PC when traveling light (whenever it's safe).
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stuck in the mud somewhere in the NJ swamp
Posts: 7,258
Case# 34298. Duet Chromebook can't find the hospital's free wireless sign-in page. Some day I'll solve that, but until I do my Pixel 3 is a sweet 5GHz tether to youse guys.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #127
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 9
Wanted an iPhone 12. Can afford it but just can’t bring myself to do it. Purchased my first ever iPhone today via the Apple site. iPhone 11 unlocked 128gb. After 10% veteran discount and 5% Chase PayPal I paid $555. Excited to see if Apple is all I have heard it is.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:03 AM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
It would be nice if most phones had replaceable batteries. My flip phones all did, and I replaced the batteries several times to extend their useful lives. They all did far more than I needed - kinda like computers. OTOH, laptop makers have been ditching replaceable batteries too these past few years, along with soldering the RAM to the motherland.
It's a great idea, at least in theory. Our Samsung S5 Actives have replaceable batteries. But from what we've seen, there are two issues with this. One, any OEM battery from Samsung has likely been sitting in a warehouse unused and uncharged for years. As such, most find these batteries are unable to hold a charge, or they don't last as long as their current battery. The other issue is 3rd party batteries. These rarely come close to performance as the original batteries and are more prone to failure.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:00 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets
G8tr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 185
True on both counts. But if you're trying to get a couple more years out of your phone, a little less battery performance isn't a bad trade-off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
It's a great idea, at least in theory. Our Samsung S5 Actives have replaceable batteries. But from what we've seen, there are two issues with this. One, any OEM battery from Samsung has likely been sitting in a warehouse unused and uncharged for years. As such, most find these batteries are unable to hold a charge, or they don't last as long as their current battery. The other issue is 3rd party batteries. These rarely come close to performance as the original batteries and are more prone to failure.
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets
bolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Wanted an iPhone 12. Can afford it but just canít bring myself to do it. Purchased my first ever iPhone today via the Apple site. iPhone 11 unlocked 128gb. After 10% veteran discount and 5% Chase PayPal I paid $555. Excited to see if Apple is all I have heard it is.
Maximus, great to see you

I cannot understand a taxed odd 600 for a phone Maximus.
I'd suggest you consider it as a mobile informational device, w/phone options.
Then theres the $ money maker, the service providers costs.

At least you're not locked into a service contract. I'd suggest shopping its service provider around,.. annually.
Service providers give away devices for 2-3 yr contracts.
I do not want to spoil your anticipation, but it is a computing device primarily and phone secondarily, no?

My 10+ yr old 9.99 tracfone is a cellphone, with other capabilities secondarily.
What marketers have you believing is a 5G Capable iPhone 11, discounted from near 1k 2yrs back is something other than a mobile informational device called a cell phone now discounted to $XXX, similar to a primary cellphone for x


I settle for up to 4G service options, my iphone6 was $20 needing work.
A >5.00 screen protector holds the cracked screen together fine.
Apple was recently sued for iOS manipulation, and malfeasance, denying upgrades to older devices enabling it toward continuing its enormous revenues selling hardware(iPhones), ...it lost.
No doubt my claims being reviewed, or the checks in the mail

If it's a cellphone, I'd acquire a cellphone.
If it's primarily an internet connection device, well thats your wheelhouse.
Just another internet interpertation.

Good luck & Best wishes..........
__________________
It ainít what you donít know that gets you into trouble. Itís what you know for sure that just ainít so.
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets
G8tr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 185
Typing this on my new Moto G Power. It's a nice device for $170. That said, I just noticed on Amazon that I could have bought a $17 battery replacement kit for my old Moto g4 that would have kept it going for another 4 years.
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #132
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 12,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
Typing this on my new Moto G Power. It's a nice device for $170. That said, I just noticed on Amazon that I could have bought a $17 battery replacement kit for my old Moto g4 that would have kept it going for another 4 years.

I bought the G Power in October for $175 too. Great phone with a real 3 day battery.
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:42 AM   #133
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,168
Last week I bought the Moto G Power at Best Buy $179 less $5 from BB, 5% off on my Discover card and another 3% using Ebates(Rakuten). The 2 reasons to give up my Moto e4 plus, was no VoLTE and 32GB was filling up fast. So I will leave the e4 in the car for dedicated Android Auto.
__________________
For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #134
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
zinger1457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,731
I'm also jumping on the Moto upgrade bandwagon, going from the G5 plus to the Moto G Stylus, got it for $175. One thing I noticed is that the Motorola Migrate app that is on my G5 plus is no longer supported. How are you moving the data/apps on your old Moto to the new?
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #135
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 29,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I've had my G Power about a month. It's the best phone I have ever had. Android 10 is super and smooth. Plus, the camera is very, very good! The battery easily lasts 3 days if you are a normal user (not much streaming, etc). Heck, after 3 days I am usually at 40% and I charge it anyway.

It puts my old Samsung S7 Edge to shame.
We gave DS a Moto g power for an early Christmas present since his phone was flaking out on him. Seems like a really solid phone for $180 (unlocked).

DW and I both have G7 Plays (that replaced a G4 and G4 Play about a year ago)... we've had really good experience with Motos. Great phones for between $100-200.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #136
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kerrville,Tx
Posts: 3,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I'm also jumping on the Moto upgrade bandwagon, going from the G5 plus to the Moto G Stylus, got it for $175. One thing I noticed is that the Motorola Migrate app that is on my G5 plus is no longer supported. How are you moving the data/apps on your old Moto to the new?
Do you have your data synced with the google cloud in setup on the old phone. If that is the case as I did a little while ago moving from a G7 to a G power (the battery on the G7 swelled up after the warranty was over) You just plug in the sim card charge the battery turn it on and wait, after a bit the phone will show you a list of apps that it will install for the phone. Any data on the phone could be copied thru google drive. Contacts autosync also.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 12,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Do you have your data synced with the google cloud in setup on the old phone. If that is the case as I did a little while ago moving from a G7 to a G power (the battery on the G7 swelled up after the warranty was over) You just plug in the sim card charge the battery turn it on and wait, after a bit the phone will show you a list of apps that it will install for the phone. Any data on the phone could be copied thru google drive. Contacts autosync also.
Google did the same for me from my Samsung S7 to my new moto G Power. It took about 20 minutes and a reboot or two.
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets
teetee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I'm also jumping on the Moto upgrade bandwagon, going from the G5 plus to the Moto G Stylus, got it for $175. One thing I noticed is that the Motorola Migrate app that is on my G5 plus is no longer supported. How are you moving the data/apps on your old Moto to the new?
I would go through a storage using wireless (ftp: AndFTP is pretty robust) or an OTG cable.it takes longer but I prefer this way so I can do a spring cleaning of my data and make sure I start using a new phone without my old junk in it..
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #139
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,168
Google synced everything except Google Authenticator while I was charging my new phone.
__________________
For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets
G8tr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 185
Both Verizon and At&T offer cloud transfer apps. I used Verizon and it worked fine for everything except passwords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Google synced everything except Google Authenticator while I was charging my new phone.
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
24 year old feeling like a 44 year old wanting a 64 year old portfolio Stripes Hi, I am... 9 08-30-2018 05:28 PM
39 year old doing retirement analysis for 70 year old parents grayparrot Hi, I am... 21 01-07-2012 11:14 PM
10-Year Old Releases Demon of 55-Year Old Opera Singer calmloki Other topics 9 08-12-2010 11:09 AM
Re-activate old cell phone, or keep new phone? thefed Other topics 10 05-09-2009 09:42 PM
44 year old woman takes advantage of 13 year old boy Dawg52 Other topics 37 05-24-2006 11:15 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:47 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.