Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2020, 09:05 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
Ok I think it is time to upgrade. Just purchased an unlocked Moto g power and should break even after selling my 3 ye old g5 plus on ebay. Kind of curious how a 5000 mAh battery and android 10 perform.

I've had my G Power about a month. It's the best phone I have ever had. Android 10 is super and smooth. Plus, the camera is very, very good! The battery easily lasts 3 days if you are a normal user (not much streaming, etc). Heck, after 3 days I am usually at 40% and I charge it anyway.

It puts my old Samsung S7 Edge to shame.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2020, 09:09 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just updated my 6 year old Tracfone with a new Tracfone. I got the Samsung A10 for $49.99 on sale from $159.99. This will be way better for me with 32GB instead of 8 GB. I expect to keep this phone for a minimum of 5 years.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
The 3 year old phone..
Old 12-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

The 3 year old phone..

It would be nice if most phones had replaceable batteries. My flip phones all did, and I replaced the batteries several times to extend their useful lives. They all did far more than I needed - kinda like computers. OTOH, laptop makers have been ditching replaceable batteries too these past few years, along with soldering the RAM to the motherland.
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:52 PM   #124
gone traveling

Mine is 7 years young. A Samsung Galaxy S4, that is.
Running Android 10, and impeccably. Ask me how!
smihaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought the Moto G Power on Amazon yesterday. Wanted the Pixel 4a after seeing the OLED screen, but it's was $350 vs $175 for the G Power. The Pixel was also fixed at 128 GB memory, while the G Power can go up to 512 GB with a micro SD card. I can pretty much replace my PC when traveling light (whenever it's safe).
Old 12-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Case# 34298. Duet Chromebook can't find the hospital's free wireless sign-in page. Some day I'll solve that, but until I do my Pixel 3 is a sweet 5GHz tether to youse guys.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #127
Confused about dryer sheets

Wanted an iPhone 12. Can afford it but just can’t bring myself to do it. Purchased my first ever iPhone today via the Apple site. iPhone 11 unlocked 128gb. After 10% veteran discount and 5% Chase PayPal I paid $555. Excited to see if Apple is all I have heard it is.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:03 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
It would be nice if most phones had replaceable batteries. My flip phones all did, and I replaced the batteries several times to extend their useful lives. They all did far more than I needed - kinda like computers. OTOH, laptop makers have been ditching replaceable batteries too these past few years, along with soldering the RAM to the motherland.
It's a great idea, at least in theory. Our Samsung S5 Actives have replaceable batteries. But from what we've seen, there are two issues with this. One, any OEM battery from Samsung has likely been sitting in a warehouse unused and uncharged for years. As such, most find these batteries are unable to hold a charge, or they don't last as long as their current battery. The other issue is 3rd party batteries. These rarely come close to performance as the original batteries and are more prone to failure.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:00 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

True on both counts. But if you're trying to get a couple more years out of your phone, a little less battery performance isn't a bad trade-off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
It's a great idea, at least in theory. Our Samsung S5 Actives have replaceable batteries. But from what we've seen, there are two issues with this. One, any OEM battery from Samsung has likely been sitting in a warehouse unused and uncharged for years. As such, most find these batteries are unable to hold a charge, or they don't last as long as their current battery. The other issue is 3rd party batteries. These rarely come close to performance as the original batteries and are more prone to failure.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Wanted an iPhone 12. Can afford it but just canít bring myself to do it. Purchased my first ever iPhone today via the Apple site. iPhone 11 unlocked 128gb. After 10% veteran discount and 5% Chase PayPal I paid $555. Excited to see if Apple is all I have heard it is.
Maximus, great to see you

I cannot understand a taxed odd 600 for a phone Maximus.
I'd suggest you consider it as a mobile informational device, w/phone options.
Then theres the $ money maker, the service providers costs.

At least you're not locked into a service contract. I'd suggest shopping its service provider around,.. annually.
Service providers give away devices for 2-3 yr contracts.
I do not want to spoil your anticipation, but it is a computing device primarily and phone secondarily, no?

My 10+ yr old 9.99 tracfone is a cellphone, with other capabilities secondarily.
What marketers have you believing is a 5G Capable iPhone 11, discounted from near 1k 2yrs back is something other than a mobile informational device called a cell phone now discounted to $XXX, similar to a primary cellphone for x

I settle for up to 4G service options, my iphone6 was $20 needing work.
A >5.00 screen protector holds the cracked screen together fine.
Apple was recently sued for iOS manipulation, and malfeasance, denying upgrades to older devices enabling it toward continuing its enormous revenues selling hardware(iPhones), ...it lost.
No doubt my claims being reviewed, or the checks in the mail

If it's a cellphone, I'd acquire a cellphone.
If it's primarily an internet connection device, well thats your wheelhouse.
Just another internet interpertation.

Good luck & Best wishes..........
Old 12-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Typing this on my new Moto G Power. It's a nice device for $170. That said, I just noticed on Amazon that I could have bought a $17 battery replacement kit for my old Moto g4 that would have kept it going for another 4 years.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
Typing this on my new Moto G Power. It's a nice device for $170. That said, I just noticed on Amazon that I could have bought a $17 battery replacement kit for my old Moto g4 that would have kept it going for another 4 years.

I bought the G Power in October for $175 too. Great phone with a real 3 day battery.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:42 AM   #133

Last week I bought the Moto G Power at Best Buy $179 less $5 from BB, 5% off on my Discover card and another 3% using Ebates(Rakuten). The 2 reasons to give up my Moto e4 plus, was no VoLTE and 32GB was filling up fast. So I will leave the e4 in the car for dedicated Android Auto.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:15 AM   #134

I'm also jumping on the Moto upgrade bandwagon, going from the G5 plus to the Moto G Stylus, got it for $175. One thing I noticed is that the Motorola Migrate app that is on my G5 plus is no longer supported. How are you moving the data/apps on your old Moto to the new?
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #135
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I've had my G Power about a month. It's the best phone I have ever had. Android 10 is super and smooth. Plus, the camera is very, very good! The battery easily lasts 3 days if you are a normal user (not much streaming, etc). Heck, after 3 days I am usually at 40% and I charge it anyway.

It puts my old Samsung S7 Edge to shame.
We gave DS a Moto g power for an early Christmas present since his phone was flaking out on him. Seems like a really solid phone for $180 (unlocked).

DW and I both have G7 Plays (that replaced a G4 and G4 Play about a year ago)... we've had really good experience with Motos. Great phones for between $100-200.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I'm also jumping on the Moto upgrade bandwagon, going from the G5 plus to the Moto G Stylus, got it for $175. One thing I noticed is that the Motorola Migrate app that is on my G5 plus is no longer supported. How are you moving the data/apps on your old Moto to the new?
Do you have your data synced with the google cloud in setup on the old phone. If that is the case as I did a little while ago moving from a G7 to a G power (the battery on the G7 swelled up after the warranty was over) You just plug in the sim card charge the battery turn it on and wait, after a bit the phone will show you a list of apps that it will install for the phone. Any data on the phone could be copied thru google drive. Contacts autosync also.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Do you have your data synced with the google cloud in setup on the old phone. If that is the case as I did a little while ago moving from a G7 to a G power (the battery on the G7 swelled up after the warranty was over) You just plug in the sim card charge the battery turn it on and wait, after a bit the phone will show you a list of apps that it will install for the phone. Any data on the phone could be copied thru google drive. Contacts autosync also.
Google did the same for me from my Samsung S7 to my new moto G Power. It took about 20 minutes and a reboot or two.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I would go through a storage using wireless (ftp: AndFTP is pretty robust) or an OTG cable.it takes longer but I prefer this way so I can do a spring cleaning of my data and make sure I start using a new phone without my old junk in it..
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #139

Google synced everything except Google Authenticator while I was charging my new phone.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Both Verizon and At&T offer cloud transfer apps. I used Verizon and it worked fine for everything except passwords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Google synced everything except Google Authenticator while I was charging my new phone.