Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2020, 10:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many years ago I started with an iPhone 3, then after several years I upgraded to what ever the current iPhone was at that time, and an iPad. I upgraded to an iPad Air shortly after that. When the iPhone died, I switched to a Samsung Galaxy S7, and an iPad Air 2. Last week the S7 self-destructed, and the iPad Air 2 was ready for retirement, so I bought a Samsung S20 128gb and a Samsung Tab S5e 64gb which are both on a shared unlimited data plan.

I don't miss the Apple gadgets at all.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2020, 10:40 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't miss iPhone either. It was a pain to upgrade.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:58 AM   #23

I kept running out of room on my old iPad Air2 with 128GB and so in January bought the iPad Pro 11" with 1 Terabyte of storage. Now I never worry about photos, music, data, etc.

-BB
Old 08-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I don't miss iPhone either. It was a pain to upgrade.
Why was that?

I hit the update button, and mine updates, restarts and works. It takes a while so I don't update during busy times.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Why was that?

I hit the update button, and mine updates, restarts and works. It takes a while so I don't update during busy times.
A couple of times, one thing or another didn't work afterwards, and I had to go to iTunes to redo the upgrade. Very inconvenient. I heard this rarely happens with newer iPHones. I think they do this on purpose so we'll buy new iPhones. Upgrades on my galaxy phone have been very fast and painless.

And I have 3 iPads. Some were getting old and the iOS was too big (memory-wise), so I had to go to iTune to upgrade. I now use Chromebook. I can type faster and I can zoom (touchscreen) so I like it better.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #26

Just in the process of buying my first tablet - not counting PalmPilot or HP iPaq smartphone back at the dawn of time. The impetus is two fold. First, and primarily, to have something that I can easily use with JamBoard as we teach students online and secondarily to have something to read eBooks on as my local library has far more of these than my preferred audiobooks.

I was going to trial the iPad Pro 11" and the Samsung that is currently on sale at Costco but DS pointed out that I can save money and get a free set of EarPods if I go direct with Apple and use academic pricing. He let me trial his newish iPad Air in a Zoom meeting and his EarPod Pros. I think I will go this way as the noise canceling in the EarPod Pros is pretty good and unlike any other earphone I have tried (including various Bose products) the EarPods allow R/L balance control for playback and this is great for my almost shot right ear. The 11" iPad Pro is also $70 less with academic pricing. Definitely luxuries but what the heck.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #27

Ori
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Just in the process of buying my first tablet - not counting PalmPilot or HP iPaq smartphone back at the dawn of time. The impetus is two fold. First, and primarily, to have something that I can easily use with JamBoard as we teach students online and secondarily to have something to read eBooks on as my local library has far more of these than my preferred audiobooks.

I was going to trial the iPad Pro 11" and the Samsung that is currently on sale at Costco but DS pointed out that I can save money and get a free set of EarPods if I go direct with Apple and use academic pricing. He let me trial his newish iPad Air in a Zoom meeting and his EarPod Pros. I think I will go this way as the noise canceling in the EarPod Pros is pretty good and unlike any other earphone I have tried (including various Bose products) the EarPods allow R/L balance control for playback and this is great for my almost shot right ear. The 11" iPad Pro is also $70 less with academic pricing. Definitely luxuries but what the heck.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
Ori
I am guessing you are referring to pending Dell products. I need something asap and my understanding is that these won't be ready to go for a bit yet. Dell was my go to PC and laptop back in the day but have been an Apple family for 15 years now.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:51 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Okay, Costco now has the iPad I want. Question is..do I wait for Black Friday or go ahead now. It is a good Costco price, but not on any kind of special.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #30

I'm thinking about a new tablet too.
I now have an old Samsung which I almost exclusively use to watch Netflix.
I have been considering an iPad since I've never had any Apple gadgets. And I'm a nerdy kind of curious.
The one thing holding me back from the iPad so far is that it has no audio jack. And I'm old fashioned enough to think that remembering to charge headsets is a hassle.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
The one thing holding me back from the iPad so far is that it has no audio jack.
$7.99 Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXJFMGF/
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I limped along just fine with older iPhones, updating no problems. I still bought an oldish model when I finally got a newer one (iPhone8). Works great. My experience is that Apple products will run for a very long time - years and years. And you can still get fairly old ones repaired if needed.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought my new iPhone 6 two years ago for $99.00. Still works great. Charge lasts about three days. No problems with updates. No problems ever. DW has same phone but three years old. No problems. Maybe upgrade when the iPhone eight comes down to $99.00. DW and I both love our iPads.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Thinking about a new iPad
Old 09-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Thinking about a new iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
The one thing holding me back from the iPad so far is that it has no audio jack. And I'm old fashioned enough to think that remembering to charge headsets is a hassle.

I thought so too but am now totally onboard with Bluetooth earbuds. I happen to use and really like the Bose Soundsport buds but will probably go AirPods when the Bose die.

Freedom from the wire is worth it. I frequently forget I’m wearing the buds throughout the day. They charge pretty quickly in the case and last for hours on a charge.

They (the Bose buds) look a little weird (imagine Frankenstein with the bolts moved up from the neck to the ear) but sound great.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #35

The AirPods Pro have wonderful sound quality IMHO, and I learned on a plane trip last month that their noise canceling ability is nearly the equal of my Bose over-the-ear headphones. They also have a much longer battery life than I expected.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The AirPods Pro have wonderful sound quality IMHO, and I learned on a plane trip last month that their noise canceling ability is nearly the equal of my Bose over-the-ear headphones.
My wife wore her Bose headphones during 18 hours of flying and thought they were very good. She was happy.
Then, she got AirPods Pros and wore them for the same trip time. She was super happy. The Bose are just rotting away now.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The AirPods Pro have wonderful sound quality IMHO, and I learned on a plane trip last month that their noise canceling ability is nearly the equal of my Bose over-the-ear headphones. They also have a much longer battery life than I expected.
What sold me on the AirPod Pros was the individual volume control for each ear. My poor, feeble right ear can now hear. I was almost to the point of buying an AfterShokz bone conduction headset (which are wonderful) but the AirPods will do for now and are much more compact.

For air travel, I discovered that absolute quiet can be achieved by wearing an in ear noise cancelling set and then my over-ear Bose. Eureka!
Old 09-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
Okay, Costco now has the iPad I want. Question is..do I wait for Black Friday or go ahead now. It is a good Costco price, but not on any kind of special.
New iPad Air expected this month or next. Will have fewer bezels, faster processor.

Then some time in the first half of next year, new iPad Pro expected with a 5G option.

iPhone 12 coming this month or next will be the first Apple devices with 5G radios.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #39

Just got a new large iPad with the floating keyboard - it is super and the keyboard is “real”. The only drawback is it isn’t light. It could just about do away with the need for a laptop while traveling
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
You realize the iPad Air 4 is supposed to be announced on Tuesday. I'm in the market too (I have an Air 2) but I'll wait for the new one. There aren't typically big discounts on most Apple products, I doubt there will be on BF either and 'the iPad you want' probably won't be around by then anyway if it's an Air 3. FWIW

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20...cid=uxbndlbing

We still have iPhone 6+'s, but we expect to upgrade to the larger 12 in the next few months. Our batts aren't lasting very long now, it would be nice to have a better camera, and we're looking forward to the iOS 14 privacy features.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote