Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moved from XP to 7 to 10 pretty seamlessly. The way I use windows, I really haven't noticed a huge difference in anything I do (including look and feel), with the exception of Edge. Works fine normally, but there are some web pages that are awfully darned slow to load (like Morningstar)...
big-papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
Moved from XP to 7 to 10 pretty seamlessly. The way I use windows, I really haven't noticed a huge difference in anything I do (including look and feel), with the exception of Edge. Works fine normally, but there are some web pages that are awfully darned slow to load (like Morningstar)...

I recently saw this with Morningstar on my iPad running Safari. The fix was to clear the cache. Unfortunately I don't recall the exact clicks to do this. But maybe there is a similar way to do this on the Edge browser.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I recently saw this with Morningstar on my iPad running Safari. The fix was to clear the cache. Unfortunately I don't recall the exact clicks to do this. But maybe there is a similar way to do this on the Edge browser.
yeah, I used to do that all the time with Explorer - not sure I ever did it on Edge or if it's even possible. But will take a look - thanks for the reminder!
big-papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Latest update
Old 06-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Latest update

As far as I know my system is up to date as of today. Here are the numbers for Windows 10 Pro. If you don't see this as your current version, you should know that more will be coming.
I think that #1806 was uploaded to 50% of the users about 2 weeks ago.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
Latest update version 1806

Best of luck if you haven't received it yet, and congratulations if you've already uploaded and it's working well.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Win XP is no longer supported/updated/secure, so if you're using it, you should stay off the web on that PC. Windows 10 is faster than Windows 8 and WAY faster than Win 7 on the same PC. Win 10 is very close to problem-free and is much more user-friendly than Windows 8 (they brought back what is essentially the start button). I work with computers all day. I don't understand you hangers-on....Also, if you didn't update for free before, you have now missed the boat and have to pay.
dadu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave up on Microsoft 2 years and bought a MacBook Pro. After having iPhones for years the transition wasn't too bad. I'll stick with Apple.
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:06 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Have not had problems with any version of Windows that I could not solve through research.
I still have Mac os 9. It was definitely one of my favorites. Haven't driven it for awhile.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_rider View Post
I've been meaning to do the same thing for a while now. Which distro are you thinking about? I had been leaning towards Ubuntu...

Re Win 10. Guess I'm in the minority, but it seems to be working better than the Win 8 that came with my laptop (which I bought 5 years ago when I was FIRE'd). I don't use Edge, just Chrome and have been moving more and more to the Google world with less and less Windows traditional applications in my life. The Google system was the best compromise with my mobile transition (Android phone and tablet).
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The distro I'm thinking about is Linux Lite. It's a distro that are geared towards those switching over from the Win world. A new release just came out. I have the previous version (3.8) on a laptop and that reminds me of Win 7.

Another distro I looked at briefly is Peppermint which I like too (the software manager uses the same one as Linux Mint), but found lite more intuitive.

It's fun to go to distro watch and see what flavors are out there as seems like a new one pops up each day.

https://distrowatch.com/
An update, I'm kinda torn between two distros. Had some time to tinker a bit with the Peppermint OS 8 distro with some of the settings. Now, I'm torn between two distros. Linux Lite vs Peppermint. Jury is still out as to which I'll move to in the future.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #29

I have been trying out Arch Linux on the side for the last year and have decided it is just too unstable as a main OS. So I am staying with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (long term support) for now. Will probably move to Ubuntu Mate LTS in the future.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I went over to the dark side (Apple/Mac) about five years ago and never looked back and have no regrets whatsoever.
Me too, but only a couple years ago. I was fed up with all the Windows updates and the crashes.

I'm sticking with my MacBook pro, iPad mini (mostly for reading) and my iPhone.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Best $3.94 I Spent in My Life
Old 06-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

The Best $3.94 I Spent in My Life

Was helping a friend look troubleshoot something a couple days ago. Had to install Win 10 on my laptop to troubleshoot.

Those darn tiles on from the start menu didn't take long to give me fits.

So, I went ahead and spent the best $3.94 in my life and got a piece of software called Start10 that blocks out all that tile nonsense and allows me to choose a start menu look similar to Win 7 .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg start10.JPG (538.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (87.3 KB, 26 views)