Transfering FreeOTP Codes to New Phone

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, I got a new smartphone (Android) but am not sure as to how to transfer the FreeOTP Codes to the smartphone.

I did keep the QCR codes from all except one (forgot to do a screen capture or print out) account.

Is transferring to codes a straight forward as temporarily turning off 2FA on the accounts and then after Google copies the apps onto the new phone, to then re-add with the old QCR codes? Or is the process more involved?

Thanks in advance.

I don't want to do any rooting or running scripts and such to try and restore from a backup of the FreeOTP codes.

The joys of change and owning a new phone :facepalm:.

Looks like I didn't have any takers.

Ready or not ... I'm going under. See how much damage I can do :popcorn:.

I activated my new phone but unless I did something wrong the Google move stuff from old phone to new phone didn't accomplish too much. Moved over only some apps but no sign in info. I have an email program (non-gmail) none of the folders moved over.

It'll probably take me all weekend to reinstall all the settings before I will even look at the FreeOTP thing.

Phone upgrade is "P" alright. Not for Progress but a Pain in the you know what.

I'm missing the flip phone days :(.

what is a FreeOTP Codes thing ?

Exactly what I was wondering. I have an Android tablet, use all sorts of Google services, and consider myself pretty tech savvy, but I have no idea what FreeOTP codes are.

Exactly what I was wondering. I have an Android tablet, use all sorts of Google services, and consider myself pretty tech savvy, but I have no idea what FreeOTP codes are.

FreeOTP is an open source 2FA authenticator app.

My attempt at switching over to a new phone is a big Grrrrr! Not carried over was a password app. Now just trying to find which app is in the Google playstore I'm looking for is looking for a needle in a haystack.

Last edited:
FreeOTP is an open source 2FA authenticator app.

My attempt at switching over to a new phone is a big Grrrrr! Not carried over was a password app. Now just trying to find which app is in the Google playstore I'm looking for is looking for a needle in a haystack.

OK... I think I get it now. You're trying to install the FreeOTP app on your new phone and restore its configuration/data, so all the "codes" from the sites you had set up on your old phone will seamlessly work on the new. Is that it? If so, I would have thought it'd be as simple as running a full restore from the latest full backup of your old phone.

I doubt many here know what 'Free OTP" codes are. I didn't. Maybe some background would help get replies?

Or, if you don't know, you can't help anyway?

-ERD50

I never heard of FreeOTP either.

A quick look on the Web revealed these reviews:

"Couldn't be easier to use, works with anything and doesn't require accounts or sharing data. Brilliant! The one downside is no easy import/export method."

"Works perfectly until you buy a new phone. You have to manually re-register all your tokens on your new phone, unless you are a software engineer with Android experience."

OK... I think I get it now. You're trying to install the FreeOTP app on your new phone and restore its configuration/data, so all the "codes" from the sites you had set up on your old phone will seamlessly work on the new. Is that it? If so, I would have thought it'd be as simple as running a full restore from the latest full backup of your old phone.

Don't know if there is such a thing as making a full backup of the old phone. As not not as easy as creating an image of a PC, if that's what you are thinking about.

Anyhow, I've spent a good part of the weekend trying to configure my new phone. I say the phone is now about 70% like my old. Some will take some more poking around. Haven't even started on the FreeOTP codes yet.

I'm now about 80% done with configuring my new phone.

The notifications don't work properly on some apps, like Facebook.

Looks like with this version of Google's android, Google took a page of out Microsoft's Win 10 approach to power management settings. Instead of keeping things simple like in the past, now there are more toggles and settings to KICC (Keep it Complicated and Confusing) :facepalm:.

Phone notifications are both a boon and a bane. Excessive notifications are a major cause of distractions, and at the same time, zero notification means you may miss out on important alerts. However, with the Android 11 update, quite a few users have been unable to get their app notifications working, resulting from which users are missing out on vital alerts.

With Android 11, Google has revamped the notification module, and now, there are quite a few customization options, including the nifty chat bubbles.

https://www.guidingtech.com/top-ways-fix-android11-notifications-not-working/

Back
Top Bottom