Join Early Retirement Today

Trying to Identify a TV Series
Old 08-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Trying to Identify a TV Series

Some nights ago, I began to watch a British police drama on one of the streaming networks I have on my Roku. However, last night when I returned to continue watching it I can't seem to find it. I was pretty sure it was on Amazon Prime but now I'm not so sure. Alas, I did not add it to my watch list and don't remember the name of the series. None of the actors were known to me. So I wondered if I describe a bit of the plot, if anyone might recognize it and be able to provide me the name.

Anyway, the good guy roles include a female Detective Sergeant (DS) who is just joined on a case by her new (black male) partner who has just been transferred from the English equivalent of Internal Affairs and who has no homicide experience but as a Detective Inspector (DI) outranks her. So right off the bat, there is friction between the two. The DS is single while the DI is married with a family. Anyway, the case involves a naked dead man tied face down to his bed with a knife sticking out of the back of his neck. Flashbacks are used to establish how the deceased wound up dead and involving a young female sex worker who has befriended a black man who works in a dance club. This guy actually saves the young woman from an assault outside the bar by the guy who is eventually murdered. The black bar worker is foreign and seems like a decent guy who is seeking refugee status. However, there are hints that this "nice" guy has a dark past.

Hopefully, this is enough info for someone who has seen this TV series to identify it for me so I can get back to watching it. Thanks for any help!
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #2

"Unforgotten"?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4192812...f_=tt_eps_sn_1
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #3

The Bay?

https://www.deadgoodbooks.co.uk/itv-the-bay/
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Unfortunately, no. I've seen that series and quite liked it. Lots of suspects and not always an anticipated ending.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
Sorry not that one either but thanks for the suggestion. It might be one to watch.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ian,

What else do you have besides Prime that you might have watched this show on? What do you have accessible with your Roku besides Prime?

Also, was it really a black DI? Not an Indian? (I only say this as one poster posted Unforgotten.) As far as my memory goes, the only British TV show that a black DI or DS plays a prominent role in that I watched is Luther. Line of Duty has one black guy somewhere in S1, but the storyline doesn't match.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Ian,

What else do you have besides Prime that you might have watched this show on? What do you have accessible with your Roku besides Prime?

Also, was it really a black DI? Not an Indian? As far as my memory goes, the only British TV show that a black DI or DS plays a prominent role in that I watched is Luther.
I also have Netflix, HBO, and Showtime Anytime that are without commercials and what I watched had no commercials. It could have been Netflix except it doesn't show up on the continue watching list for that service.

Definitely a black guy not Indian. Also not Luther which I've seen. Something sticks in my mind that the series was from 2017 but I'm not certain of that. The antagonist couple are turning into serial killers as they try to hide their tracks.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:27 PM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

You were watching Prime Suspect.
Fireat50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireat50 View Post
You were watching Prime Suspect.
No, I don't think it's that either. I think the protagonist in Prime Suspect is a higher up not a mere DS. Plus the partner in the show I was watching was black and a DI so of a higher rank. Are there episodes of Prime Suspect where a young sex worker and her black refugee friend are the killers?
Old 08-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

If it's Amazon Prime, if you have watched the show even partially, it should show up at the top with the header of "Watch next TV". At least, that's the way it looks to me with my Amazon Prime. You don't see it there?
Old 08-22-2020, 09:29 PM   #11

I'm not sure whether you're describing a TV series or movie (even though you use the word "series") but you can look through the list at https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/...british-police which I think includes both and has pictures.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #12

Check this list

https://timbarron.net/entertainment/...ime-mysteries/
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:47 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

"We Hunt Together"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10661302/
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbervest View Post
I'm not the OP, but that must be it. I looked through Amazon Prime, but I don't have Showtime.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:24 AM   #15

Quote:
That's it! I could have sworn it was on Prime but I will have to look on Showtime instead. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
That's it! I could have sworn it was on Prime but I will have to look on Showtime instead. Thanks for the help!
I'm so glad the group figured this out, because I am a huge Eve Myles fan. I just watched the trailer - whoa!!

Eventually this will end up on one of the streaming services I already pay for, and I will watch it then.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Happy to help. I haven't actually watched it but I was intrigued by the challenge and googled "british TV naked man face down knife". Bingo!
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Happy to help. I haven't actually watched it but I intrigued by the challenge and googled "british TV naked man face down knife". Bingo!
Wow, I didn't think of doing that, but good job!
Old 08-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I'm so glad the group figured this out, because I am a huge Eve Myles fan. I just watched the trailer - whoa!!

Eventually this will end up on one of the streaming services I already pay for, and I will watch it then.
I really liked Eve Myles in Keeping Faith. I will definitely grab her future shows as well.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Happy to help. I haven't actually watched it but I intrigued by the challenge and googled "british TV naked man face down knife". Bingo!
I was going to ask how you figured it out thinking perhaps that you had seen the series already. I tried googling things related to the police protagonists but didn't think to use the far more restrictive description of the actual murder. Kudos for figuring it out!