Join Early Retirement Today

Turning off Amazon Sidewalk
Old 05-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Turning off Amazon Sidewalk

So Ars Technica has a new article out about turning off Amazon Sidewalk. It appears to be a genuine privacy concern. I canít seem to find the off switch which is listed as Amazon Sidewalk. It is step 4 in the article. After step 3, I donít see Amazon Sidewalk.

The issue is that Amazon is automatically opting everyone in. The default should have been the other way where we can opt in if we like and not have to opt out. I access the Alexa app from my Amazon homepage. If you view the article, please let me know if you can see Amazon Sidewalk as I canít.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...ith-neighbors/
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2021, 02:29 PM   #2

Quote:
I access the Alexa app from my Amazon homepage.
I don't have an Alexa so I can't check, but this seems to be your problem. You can't do it from your homepage, only from the Alexa app on your phone/tablet.

Have you tried that?
Old 05-30-2021, 02:43 PM   #3

Thanks Braumeister. Tried from the Amazon homepage and the Alexa app. No Amazon Sidewalk showing up.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Your Alexa might be listening, she might know
I'm just funning with you Maximus and I applaup your insights.

I do not carry a hand held & enabled data device. Your mobile service provider(VZ, CMCS, TMUS, etc.) can & will locate you anyway.

Unless you buy a burner, with a gift card, etc.

Good luck & Best wishes....
Old 05-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

You could ask your Google Assistant. Or maybe Siri knows.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:13 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried the same steps this morning. Amazon Sidewalk does not show up for me either.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:35 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What? Where? I don’t have an Alexa app.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

No sidewalk in my Alexa app
qwerty3656 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

From the article,
Quote:
If you use Alexa, Echo, or any other Amazon device, you have only 10 days to opt out of an experiment that leaves your personal privacy and security hanging in the balance. [...] By default, Amazon devices including Alexa, Echo, Ring, security cams, outdoor lights, motion sensors, and Tile trackers will enroll in the system.
Wow!!! Oh Brave New World.

Anyway, thanks. I'll avoid purchasing these items as long as Amazon Sidewalk is turned on by default.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:28 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I see it in my app. More, then settings, then account settings fourth out of 5 lines under voice purchases and above workouts

If it isn’t there do you need to update the app possibly?
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:09 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The only device I have that would be affected by sidewalk (apparently) is an Echo.

I just downloaded the Alexa app to my Amazon Fire tablet and to my Android phone. I checked both apps, and could not find the Sidewalk feature listed anywhere, so I couldn't disable it.

I found this article, which states that the sidewalk feature is built into all Amazon Echo speakers "made since 2018."

My old employer gave all employees an Echo as a holiday gift in December of 2017, so maybe that's why I don't see the feature - my device is too old. Maybe my refusal to constantly upgrade every device in the house is finally paying off!

I can't disable it if I can't find it. Good luck to all who are trying to "kill" it.

https://www.tomsguide.com/reference/...mazon-sidewalk
Old 05-30-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah S View Post
I see it in my app. More, then settings, then account settings fourth out of 5 lines under voice purchases and above workouts

If it isnít there do you need to update the app possibly?
Thanks. That worked for me. I'm usually spot on regarding stupid vulnerabilities, but I missed this completely. Guess I'm getting old and less interested in trying to keep up with the never ending stream of security holes created by the IoT.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #13

I read about this several months ago but there was nothing to do at that time. Then today, I saw the Ars Technica article with instructions to disable. I just followed the instructions and had it disabled in a few seconds.

Not sure why people aren't seeing Amazon Sidewalk in their account settings. Probably need to update the app, though it should be updated automatically.

BTW, here's my favorite comment from the Ars Tecnica article:

Quote:
I assume the next Amazon project will automatically opt Prime members into using their homes as micro-fulfillment centers.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
The only device I have that would be affected by sidewalk (apparently) is an Echo.

I just downloaded the Alexa app to my Amazon Fire tablet and to my Android phone. I checked both apps, and could not find the Sidewalk feature listed anywhere, so I couldn't disable it.

I found this article, which states that the sidewalk feature is built into all Amazon Echo speakers "made since 2018."

My old employer gave all employees an Echo as a holiday gift in December of 2017, so maybe that's why I don't see the feature - my device is too old. Maybe my refusal to constantly upgrade every device in the house is finally paying off!

I can't disable it if I can't find it. Good luck to all who are trying to "kill" it.

https://www.tomsguide.com/reference/...mazon-sidewalk
Calico may be on to something here. My Echo was purchased in July of 2017. So maybe no Sidewalk firmware/hardware. Perhaps others who can’t find Sidewalk can check their purchase date to confirm this.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
From the article,
Wow!!! Oh Brave New World.

Anyway, thanks. I'll avoid purchasing these items as long as Amazon Sidewalk is turned on by default.
OK, thanks. I donít have any of those Amazon devices.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #16

If you use an Apple device, by default you are communicating with any Airtags in the area to send location data to the cloud so that the owner of the Airtag can identify a lost item. I’ve seen a few people express concerns about this but in general I’m not seeing a big rush for Iphone users to disable this feature to prevent their phones from helping identify the location of lost Airtags. I’m not sure how similar this is to Amazon Sidewalk but I would think there would be similar concerns if there was a true security or privacy issue.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post

BTW, here's my favorite comment from the Ars Tecnica article:
There are some hilarious comments to the article, but this one is worth noting for future reference:
Amazon might 'accidentally' change that [Sidewalk] setting back to sharing your network with some future firmware update. Microsoft does this constantly with Windows... whenever you update, many of your privacy/telemetry settings are routinely changed to opt-in, even though you explicitly opted out.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:17 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
If you use an Apple device, by default you are communicating with any Airtags in the area to send location data to the cloud so that the owner of the Airtag can identify a lost item. Iíve seen a few people express concerns about this but in general Iím not seeing a big rush for Iphone users to disable this feature to prevent their phones from helping identify the location of lost Airtags. Iím not sure how similar this is to Amazon Sidewalk but I would think there would be similar concerns if there was a true security or privacy issue.
Cool feature, I'd not heard of this before.

https://www.apple.com/uk/airtag/

Quote:
AirTag is a super-easy way to keep track of your stuff. Attach one to your keys, slip another in your backpack. And just like that, theyíre on your radar in the Find My app, where you can also track down your Apple devices and keep up with friends and family.

How does it work?
Your AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the Find My network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud ó then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy. And itʼs efficient, so thereʼs no need to worry about battery life or data usage.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Cool feature, I'd not heard of this before.

https://www.apple.com/uk/airtag/
We got some AirTags recently and they work well.
The only thing to be aware of is that you need a newer iPhone with the ultrawideband chip in order to get really precise tracking information.

My iPhone XS only tells me that it's in the house with me (Bluetooth range), but DW's iPhone 11 lets her track it down precisely to within a few inches of the thing. Very impressive!
Old 05-31-2021, 07:16 AM   #20

To disable Amazon Sidewalk
(Verbally instructed: Preferably on a computer, download the Alexa app.)
ēOpen the Alexa App
ēOpen More & Select Settings
ēSelect Account Settings
ēSelect Amazon Sidewalk
ēTurn off Amazon Sidewalk OFF for your account.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote