Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2022, 05:33 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
Should this be about 9 miles after the square root is taken?

Yes, I should have taken the sqrt, the proper result is 8.7 miles.

Here is another formula 1.22459height.

1.22459 * SQRT 50 =1.22459 * 7.071 =8.659
https://sites.math.washington.edu/~conroy/m120-general/horizon.pdf

Here's an online calculator,
http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm

Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2022, 04:02 PM   #62

To address the problem of starting with a relatively weak OTA signal, then loss of signal when splitting to many TV's, you can have tuners in the attic (very near the antenna) and your downlead, instead of being coaxial cable, is Ethernet. That gives you a signal that doesn't degrade for long distances. But this solution does require an external box to select the channel (your TV's tuner isn't used). I've got HD HomeRun tuners in the attic and Kodi software running on a Raspberry Pi. That works great. Takes some tinkering, though. So not quite turn-key, but pretty close. No coding, just some configuration that could take an hour or a month, lol!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same here. Three newspaper subscriptions do it for me. Of course, even the major papers are 50% clickbait now

Quote:
Originally Posted by schellem View Post
Well if you have not seen the evening news lately you might want to watch it somewhere first. All of the major network evening news shows are probably more than half commercials now. It's awful how they tease you with upcoming segments that only get played after 3-4 rounds of commercials. The later part of the news is typically 1-2 minutes of news then 3 minutes of commercials. I have quit watching.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:15 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Wow! Quite a piece of work. I wonder if he has any idea at all how a parabolic reflector works. My bet would be that he has simply added wind resistance to a perfectly good antenna.
My bet would be that you don't have a clue..........
Old 01-09-2022, 05:28 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yeah, that article would be better titled as "I attached my new antenna to my old Satellite dish mount, and used the existing cable".

There was no comparison of reception with/wo the dish, I also suspect it's not adding much (focal point looks all wrong). It might even be hurting reception.

I mean, sure, use the old mount and cable, that makes sense. But he makes it sound like the dish itself made the antenna a million times (I believe that's the current value assigned to "badass") better.

-ERD50
You may have completely missed the point of the article ERD50. Satellite dish antennas are allowed where the author is located. Yagi's, logs, etc., for line of sight propagated sigs are not. So the author disguised a yagi or log (can't tell for sure) in front of the now passive dish and won the game. He's just faking having a satellite dish (allowed) and actually has a directive ground/skywave uhf antenna of some sort.

If he removes the passive/unused dish, he now has a not allowed directional TV antenna.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:32 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
You may have completely missed the point of the article ERD50. Satellite antennas are allowed where the author is located. Yagi's, logs, etc., for line of sight propagated sigs are not. So the author disguised a yagi or log (can't tell for sure) in front of the now passive dish and won the game. He's just faking having a satellite dish (allowed) and actually has a directive ground/skywave uhf antenna of some sort.

If he removes the passive/unused dish, he now has a not allowed directional TV antenna.

Sheeesh.........
I did miss that. [edit]No, I don't think I missed that (see below). [/edit]The title could have been "How I disguised my antenna with a satellite dish", if that was the point. But the title is "I turned my satellite dish into a badass HDTV antenna".

Actually, re-reading the posted link, I don't see any reference at all to trying to disguise the antenna as a satellite dish, only that he used the mount and cable.

And I was under the impression (as others have said - see post #49), that HOA cannot ban an outdoor antenna.

So please point out where I missed anything about antennas not being allowed - or take that "Sheeesh........" back, please.

I think it was statsman (post #43) with the HOA problem, not the author of the linked article. Did you get those two confused?

further edit:

Here's the entire text from that link. Where does the author state anything at all about trying to hide the antenna with the satellite dish?

Quote:
Pulled the cone off my DirecTV satellite dish and mounted an RCA ANT751 HDTV antenna instead. The antenna sells for $52 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT751-Qua...rds=rca+ant751

Secured the ANT751 to the satellite dish using the included U-bolt and two nuts. Used the included brackets to get it nice and snug.

DirecTV already had coaxial cable running from my living room to the satellite dish. I used the included coaxial transformer on the antenna and just screwed in the existing coaxial cable.

The finished product! Luckily my old DirecTV dish was already pointed in the right direction for my local channels. Used http://www.antennaweb.org/ to confirm.

Already had DirecTV coaxial cable running into my living room through my basement. No need to replace and drill new holes into my house.

Plugged the coaxial cable into my TV and viola! Used the "Channel Manager" to scan for local channels.

Perfect signal reception! Took less than 30minutes to install and I save roughly $82 a month!
-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:48 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
]The title could have been "How I disguised my antenna with a satellite dish"
It could have been a lot of things, but it wasn't.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:37 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I've got HD HomeRun tuners in the attic and Kodi software running on a Raspberry Pi. That works great. Takes some tinkering, though. So not quite turn-key, but pretty close. No coding, just some configuration that could take an hour or a month, lol!
The whole "Just connect an antenna to your TV and you will have local channels" idea overlooks the entire picture (no pun intended). Even if you have strong signals from all towers you want, you still have to deal with how to get local channels recorded. And as you indicated, it becomes a bit more tricky if you have multiple TVs to feed a TV signal or an OTA recording to.

That's our issue. Our closest antenna farm is 17-18 miles away, and it appears getting stable TV reception won't require an outdoor antenna. Add a quality indoor/attic antenna, along with a good OTA DVR (say Tablo) with hard drive (internal/external), and your initial costs can exceed $300. All for something we don't record very often. This past year my DW recorded *zero* TV shows/movies from a broadcast channel. Now, she does record the NBA finals, which have been on ABC.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:53 PM   #69

I have a $30 DVR that records fine using a USB hard disk, clunky but it does the job.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:02 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I would erect a large rooftop antenna and when the HOA says "take it down", file a Federal lawsuit and have some fun!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:05 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
The whole "Just connect an antenna to your TV and you will have local channels" idea overlooks the entire picture (no pun intended). Even if you have strong signals from all towers you want, you still have to deal with how to get local channels recorded. And as you indicated, it becomes a bit more tricky if you have multiple TVs to feed a TV signal or an OTA recording to.

That's our issue. Our closest antenna farm is 17-18 miles away, and it appears getting stable TV reception won't require an outdoor antenna. Add a quality indoor/attic antenna, along with a good OTA DVR (say Tablo) with hard drive (internal/external), and your initial costs can exceed $300. All for something we don't record very often. This past year my DW recorded *zero* TV shows/movies from a broadcast channel. Now, she does record the NBA finals, which have been on ABC.
I have an attic antenna and a Fire TV Recast OTA DVR attached to it that feeds either live TV or recorded DVR programs to any of our 4 tvs (each TV previously had a Fire Stick so there was no cost there. Snce the Recast uses my home wi-fi feeding TV signal or an OTA recording to multiple tvs is simple, not tricky at all.

My initial costs were $40 for a RCA yagi antenna, $150 for a refurbished Fire TV Recast. If your tvs don't have Fire Sticks then those are ~$30 each.

I figure it would have cost me more than $150 to have coax run to each tv so the Recast was a deal and the OTA DVR was gravy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:00 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We are light OTA DVR users, especially since most of the shows we watch drop on Hulu the next day.

We do use it. I got a refurbished Dual 64G from directly from the company for $99. No external hard drive required. It has enough capacity for us in our light use. Tablo frequently offers sales of equipment, especially of refurbs. We have it for 18 months now and it is working well. Our primary use is to pause or time shift, especially the news. I'll turn on the news and let it buffer, and fast forward through most of it for weather and sports.

I suspect they have a pretty high return rate due to people not getting the reception they want. That's an antenna problem, not a Tablo problem. Looks like pb4uski also has a refurb for the Recast. It was likely returned for the same reason.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:10 AM   #73

If you know what you're doing and/or are willing to compromise, sure, you can save on the costs. Many people don't know what's required, or they want close to what they had before, especially those who have had cable, satellite, or Internet (i.e. Uverse) TV services for all of their adult life.

Those just now deciding to cut the cord are likely to purchase new, assuming they don't look at the total cost and potential antenna issues to receive and record their local channels and decide against it. You can go with Hulu or YT or fubo for the local channels, assuming they have the rest of your desired channels.

If someone has been doing this for a while, I sometimes wonder if they've forgotten how frustrating it is to cut the cord. Or maybe it was just intuitive to them from the beginning. If it were just me, I would get an antenna and skip the DVR. I only use broadcast TV for local events, like severe weather forecasts. DW is another story.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:39 AM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If someone has been doing this for a while, I sometimes wonder if they've forgotten how frustrating it is to cut the cord. Or maybe it was just intuitive to them from the beginning.
I cut the cord in Dec of 2018 and I recall it was liberating, not frustrating. It was a similar feeling to retiring, only on a smaller scale.

We were spending $80+ a month on Dish and I just ran the numbers showing we've spent an average of $30/mo on streaming over the past three years. As we've learned more about what services we want or don't need, our cost has declined from $39/mo in 2019 to $23/mo last year. Lots of opportunity to take advantage of $0.99/mo deals and other discounts throughout the year. Note: having good OTA reception has helped hold costs down to get sports and local news coverage.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:36 AM   #75

FWIW, I was doing some work on a TV on my dining room table. I had no "antenna" to connect to for testing. I ended up using a piece of wire looped around a chair. Being 30 miles away from the transmitting towers, I didn't get my usual 60-80 OTA channels that I get with my attic antenna though. I did get a few, very week signals, enough to test out the TV. Remember those old set top UHF loop antennas? That's what I was replicating.

And as for the dish conversion antenna, I'm not sure that the dish was adding anything to his signal strength. The dish is focused to the satellite anywhere from 10-20,000 miles above the equator. I don't think the ASTC broadcasting antenna is in that line. I suspect that he was just using the dish as the mounting device for his antenna. Perhaps he was disguising the antenna with the dish, or not.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:21 AM   #76

The Fire TV Recast ($230) plus Fire TV Stick ($40) [one per TV] seems like a pretty good deal if one didn't want to tinker too much. Good if you don't have Ethernet wired already. Looks like it has 2 tuners.

I have two of the older HD Homerun boxes, each with 2 tuners, and I already had Cat-5, but people have the HD Homerun units connected through wifi. I'm invested in what I'm using for DVR (HD Home Run > CW_EPG on Windows) because I've been a developer on that project since the first days of beta digital TV. For live TV, as I said, Kodi on the Raspberry Pi, but no DVR on that TV, so I last only until the first commercial, LOL!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:09 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If someone has been doing this for a while, I sometimes wonder if they've forgotten how frustrating it is to cut the cord. Or maybe it was just intuitive to them from the beginning. If it were just me, I would get an antenna and skip the DVR. I only use broadcast TV for local events, like severe weather forecasts. DW is another story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I cut the cord in Dec of 2018 and I recall it was liberating, not frustrating. It was a similar feeling to retiring, only on a smaller scale.
I was frustrated at first. Then liberated.

Over a period of 3 years, I dipped my toes. At that time, streaming devices, and actual streams were poor quality. Then I got a newer Roku, services improved, and I got over my anxiety about sports and news and took the leap. Liberation.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:16 AM   #78

I don't have a background in electronics or antennas but I did trade in my dish for an antenna 25+ years ago. I went through 1 antenna I bought from Radio Shack that eventually oxidized and hurricane winds blew it down. I had it attacked to the side of the house on a 20 ft pole. Then I had shingles replaced with a metal roof and have been using one of the $100 ClearStream directional antennas on a 20 ft pole for the past 5 years that works well through the oak and palm trees to the stations about 15 miles away.
Most local channels except PBS have pretty lousy programing and too loaded with commercials for me to tolerate. My wife like to watch the news but I found it frustrating when I will see almost as much from the "coming attractions" for the 6 and 10pm local news programs so I stopped paying attention except for the weather. Mostly we use Netflix and Hulu for our TV entertainment. I'm glad books don't require any technology to read other than ebooks from the public library.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:24 AM   #79

Quote:
The Fire TV Recast ($230) plus Fire TV Stick ($40) [one per TV] seems like a pretty good deal if one didn't want to tinker too much. Good if you don't have Ethernet wired already. Looks like it has 2 tuners.

I have two of the older HD Homerun boxes, each with 2 tuners, and I already had Cat-5, but people have the HD Homerun units connected through wifi. I'm invested in what I'm using for DVR (HD Home Run > CW_EPG on Windows) because I've been a developer on that project since the first days of beta digital TV. For live TV, as I said, Kodi on the Raspberry Pi, but no DVR on that TV, so I last only until the first commercial, LOL!
Is the CW-EPG have any significant differences to the one by Gary Ryan? I ask because that is what I have used for the past 4-5 years along with WMC to record shows on my computer. I also have 2 HD Homerun tuners so we can record multiple programs but don't use them for our regular OTA tv's. I have an 8 way splitter to send signals to all the tv's and HD Homerun boxes.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does anybody know if Amazon is planning to update the Recast box? It seems to be falling behind. I was looking at it a few months ago, but am concerned I would be buying into an orphaned line of products.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote