Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #2601
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
One thing about living overseas is that it forced our hand on TV-watching. Most of the US-based services either don't work at all or provide a limited and/or delayed set of shows. So we've watched all the series and movies we care to by just waiting until they stream or come out on DVD and then download them. And unlike the U.S., there has never been such a thing as 'six-strikes' notifications from ISP's in Mexico.

It's not about penny-pinching. We've been Netflix customers off/on since the old DVD delivery days. I'll gladly pay them or Hulu or HBO when I feel like I've seen everything on my current service. Here it's about availability, poor streaming/download experience, etc.
The way to get access to us streaming services abroad is to use a VPN back to the us so the provider sees a us ip address. Of course this is a copy right violation, since the media are licensed on a country basis. For for pay streaming services you would need a us billing address also.

For distributing ota signals there are several boxes such as Tablo Air tv etc that will take an over the air signal and convert it to ip to allow it to be streamed over wifi or an ethernet cable to a router. If doing this you might want to get a small travel router to handle all traffic just connect that to the internet using and have all devices sign onto that wifi.
I am in assisted living, and their wifi will not allow 2 devices on the wifi to work, so I installed a Gl-info 750 slate box and my new visio tvs can see the internet channels, as well as take chromcasts from apps on the phone or windows. It is not really cord cutting since the place as regular cable but adds a lot more networks, such as pluto and Xumo directly, plus allows chromecasting of youtube etc.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 04:01 PM   #2602
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Who says I'm resistant. I'm talking about people who have lost some mental abilities.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I intentionally didn't quote you or anyone else because I was speaking generally. Many people who don't like change are that way because they are losing mental abilities and can't cope with change. Others would just rather not. I don't even mean to criticize that, as long as you recognize you may be passing on something you'd find better after a short learning curve.

Truthfully, I'm somewhat resistant to change on many things.

Quote:
So one remote is good, especially if it won't let you accidentally change inputs.

Next question for ya'll. Can you just use "channel up/down" to surf channels?
Kind of. I can only speak for YTTV. You can use the Live Guide view, and go up and down to see the show on that channel, with a picture to help you identify it. Not quite the same with channel surfing, but I stopped channel surfing years ago when I'd hit too many commercials and would have no idea if I was skipping over something good. I like the YTTV live guide better than Dish's because of the pictures, and because I can order it in a way that makes sense to me, rather than by the assigned channel numbers.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #2603
Give me a forum ...

One thing that I thought that I would mention here. We have Xfinity in Florida. With the stock X1 remote if you are watching a recorded show and press the page up button it will advance 5 minutes and the page down button will rewind 5 minutes.... but you can reprogram those to forward 30 seconds and rewind 15 seconds by powering off and pressing Exit, Exit, Exit, 0030 and then powering on.

But better yet, those 30 second forward and 15 second back buttons also work with On Demand viewing... effectively sidestepping the prohibitions on FF and rewinding while watching On Demand programming.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-p...or-xfinity-x1/

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-03-2019, 04:29 PM   #2604
Give me a forum ...

We are trying YouTube TV with a Roku Express. We were watching the Panthers football game on CBS when the screen went black, all other channels we are OK. We shut everything down and waited a few minutes and the channel came back on. Same thing just happened when watching NBC news a few minutes ago. Any idea why we are getting a black screen on some channels?
Old 11-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #2605

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
The Tablo app (view OTA channels) lets you pull down a mini guide to see what's on the other live channels. It doesn't let you see live what's on those other channels, it just describes it in text. Not quite as simple as a up/down channel button, but not bad.

I rarely watch anything live though, I'm 99% watching recorded programs. That's also the only way to use their automatic commercial skipping features.
That's not how my Tablo works. It has a guide with the channels and the name of the show, just like a regular TV guide.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 11-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #2606

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
That's not how my Tablo works. It has a guide with the channels and the name of the show, just like a regular TV guide.
Yes, it has a guide screen. But while watching a program you can swipe down and access a mini-guide.

I mentioned this there was a question about channel surfing, which I assume means watching live channels.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:29 PM   #2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Yes, it has a guide screen. But while watching a program you can swipe down and access a mini-guide.

I mentioned this there was a question about channel surfing, which I assume means watching live channels.
Oh. Yeah. I never use that. I always go back to the guide.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 11-04-2019, 04:50 AM   #2608
Give me a forum ...

I was playing with the Roku last night trying to use just the one remote. I got the version that can also turn the TV on and off, although initial programming had a hard time finding my old Panasonic Plasma.

Works fine. Exploring some of the free TV last night was fun.

I won't belabor the cognitive impairment thing any more. I'll end it with this: I predict that smart TVs and streaming devices will have (or already have hidden) a hotel mode to lock things down and keep surfing simple. This is helpful or necessary for certain applications: hotels, cognitively impaired, guest mode, airbnb, etc.

Update: PBS Live on YouTube TV
Old 11-04-2019, 06:01 AM   #2609

Update: PBS Live on YouTube TV

Today (Nov 4, 2019) was the day PBS was supposed to go live on YouTube TV. But according to the latest update from cordcuttersnews.com: YouTube TV Has Delayed The Addition of PBS & PBS Kids For a “Few More Weeks”.

Here's another brief quote from the story:

Quote:
PBS and YouTube TV have jointly decided to delay the launch for a few more weeks with a target prior to 2020. Everyone wants the best experience for viewers; therefore some final testing is still being rolled out.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #2610
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Today (Nov 4, 2019) was the day PBS was supposed to go live on YouTube TV. But according to the latest update from cordcuttersnews.com: YouTube TV Has Delayed The Addition of PBS & PBS Kids For a “Few More Weeks”.

Here's another brief quote from the story:
It’ll be interesting to see exactly what they rollout. While all PBS stations have a core of national programming, they also have unique local programming and some (but not all) other “local” programming from other major metro affiliates - the latter is often great programs. IME the PBS streaming app has national and (your) local, but no programs from other affiliates - so inferior to your local OTA programming. That’s been one of the big issues with PBS streaming, every affiliate has a unique mix of programming, more so than major commercial networks.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 11-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #2611
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It’ll be interesting to see exactly what they rollout. While all PBS stations have a core of national programming, they also have unique local programming and some (but not all) other “local” programming from other major metro affiliates - the latter is often great programs. IME the PBS streaming app has national and (your) local, but no programs from other affiliates - so inferior to your local OTA programming. That’s been one of the big issues with PBS streaming, every affiliate has a unique mix of programming, more so than major commercial networks.
When I subscribed to "Passport" several years ago, I went to PBS.org but was sent to RMPBS.org to subscribe. (RMPBS = Rocky Mountain Public Broadcasting System - 2 channels 6.x & 12.x) Renewals have been handled through the same URL.

Since I never watch anything (other than sports & news) live, I never really thought about that. I record everything so as to time-shift and/or eliminate commercials. That includes PBS via PlayOn.

Anyway, I went to the ROKU PBS App and found that indeed the Title Bar is labeled RMPBS. However, other than "search" the available categories are:

Spotlight
My Favorite Shows -- which is, apparently, shows I have watched
Featured Shows
Just Added
Broadway's Best
RMPBS Shows - Apparently the Locally produced stuff
Watchlist -- two shows that at some time in the past I had somehow flagged
Featured Videos
Country Music
Fall Dramas
Previews -- Coming Soon
PBS Digital Studios

Not that I fully understand this categorization but it doesn't seem like I am missing anything by subscribing in my local area. Are you saying that if I subscribed say to the Chicago area the only change would be from "RMPBS Shows" to "WGN (or whatever) Shows"?
Old 11-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #2612
Give me a forum ...

^^^ The easiest way to see it is look at the OTA schedule for RMPBS and then look at RMPBS Passport and you’ll find some programs missing. If all your favorites are available, you’re all set for now at least, read no further.

WTTW Chicago was once my local station, and we watched a lot of content along with satellite. When we cut the cord and bought a Passport subscription, we immediately noticed some of our favorite programs were not there. All the many big national programs were there (e.g. Victoria) and all the WTTW productions, but for example Milk Street from WGBH was not available - it was on OTA. There were some others missing, a disappointing surprise to us.

When you buy PBS Passport subscription, you buy through one PBS affiliate and you’re locked into what they offer for a year. You can’t change your designated local PBS during the year.

So again, just look at what’s on the free PBS app (it will show everything including Passport programs even without a Passport subscription, you just can’t watch Passport programs without a subscription) with your chosen PBS station and make sure all the OTA programs you want are available. If not, you might want to buy your Passport subscription from another PBS station, we chose WGBH Boston in our case. If you’re local PBS is a small affiliate, you’ll probably get much less programming.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #2613

Quote:
Agreed, it's the "missing programs" that we watched the most back when we had cable TV. Really hoping to get those back with YTTV. (missing programs = programs aired by our local PBS member station but not available on the PBS app, even with a Passport subscription).

It's my understanding from the original July 29 PBS press release that what we'll get on YTTV is a "livestream of all PBS member stations that choose to participate."

Some streaming services just wanted a national PBS feed, but PBS was only interested in providing local live streams, same as what's carried by cable and satellite providers. Here's a quote from Ira Rubenstein, PBS chief digital officer:

Quote:
We’ve spoken with every provider that offers live linear streaming, some are open to having local station feeds, and some absolutely won’t. Obviously we are talking only to those that support the local streams.
So I have to believe that's what we will eventually get with YTTV. But, we'll see. I've also read that some of the "missing programs" could be blacked out in the initial rollout because it's been very difficult for many of the smaller member stations to secure digital rights. That is possibly part of the reason for the delay.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #2614
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
^^^ The easiest way to see it is look at the OTA schedule for RMPBS and then look at RMPBS Passport and you’ll find some programs missing. If all your favorites are available, you’re all set for now at least, read no further.
So again, just look at what’s on the free PBS app (it will show everything including Passport programs even without a Passport subscription, you just can’t watch Passport programs without a subscription) with your chosen PBS station and make sure all the OTA programs you want are available. If not, you might want to buy your Passport subscription from another PBS station, we chose WGBH Boston in our case. If you’re local PBS is a small affiliate, you’ll probably get much less programming.
Oh! This got way too complicated. We have two local PBS stations, 6.x and 12.x. The schedules for the next three days (from midnight to 11:30pm) are completely different for each station. In any event I could not see anything that would exclude my "Passport" use. The complicated part came when I tried to get a complete list of what exactly was available (to me) in Passport to compare to the two EPGs.

I think I will call it a day.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #2615
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Oh! This got way too complicated. We have two local PBS stations, 6.x and 12.x. The schedules for the next three days (from midnight to 11:30pm) are completely different for each station. In any event I could not see anything that would exclude my "Passport" use. The complicated part came when I tried to get a complete list of what exactly was available (to me) in Passport to compare to the two EPGs.

I think I will call it a day.
It's not complicated but fine. We know what PBS programs we like(d), so we just looked to see if they were all on our local PBS Passport, and found they weren't. So we subscribed thru WGBH Boston instead.

My purpose was just to warn potential PBS Passport subscribers they might be better off subscribing through a major metro PBS affiliate than a small local one, or not if you have great local content. That simple.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #2616
Give me a forum ...

Talk about resistance to change... These PBS affiliates need to come into this century.

More streams from the affiliate == more opportunities to show your beg-a-thon.

Right now, I can't get PBS over OTA, and a lot people around here can't.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #2617
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's not complicated but fine. We know what PBS programs we like(d), so we just looked to see if they were all on PBS Passport, and found they weren't.
Yeah, it was only so because I didn't have a specific program in mind. It was an interesting experience though. I did learn a few things.

Quote:
My purpose was just to warn potential PBS Passport subscribers they might be better off subscribing through a major metro PBS affiliate than a small local one. That simple.
Oh! I did understand that and hope I didn't detract from that (very) useful advice. If I did, it was unintentional.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #2618

Quote:
I was playing with the Roku last night trying to use just the one remote. I got the version that can also turn the TV on and off, although initial programming had a hard time finding my old Panasonic Plasma.

Works fine. Exploring some of the free TV last night was fun.

I won't belabor the cognitive impairment thing any more. I'll end it with this: I predict that smart TVs and streaming devices will have (or already have hidden) a hotel mode to lock things down and keep surfing simple. This is helpful or necessary for certain applications: hotels, cognitively impaired, guest mode, airbnb, etc.
Roku has guest mode, you can enable it by device by logging into your Roku account. My Rokus are pretty old so if yours is brand new, you should have it.

Guest ModeGot visitors? This mode lets your visitors log in to enjoy their own subscription channels on your Roku device.

Be sure to check out the Pluto app owned by Viacom. Well over 100 live streaming channels plus on demand to binge watch as well for FREE. The setup has this really annoying guy talking to you so be warned but if you can get past him there is a lot of stuff to watch. Last month they had 18 James Bond movies, both live and on demand.
Pluto TV

Pluto TV
Old 11-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #2619
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
Be sure to check out the Pluto app owned by Viacom. Well over 100 live streaming channels plus on demand to binge watch as well for FREE. The setup has this really annoying guy talking to you so be warned but if you can get past him there is a lot of stuff to watch. Last month they had 18 James Bond movies, both live and on demand.
Pluto TV

Pluto TV
Yeah, I was surprised how much stuff is on Pluto. Nice!

There was also something called Filmrise. I've been wanting to rewatch Memento, and there it was. Commercials are a bit of a pain, but the price is right.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:18 AM   #2620
Give me a forum ...

After about 2 weeks of trying different indoor antenna/amp combinations due to that REPACK, think I finally found the right combination to get my OTA viewing back on par. Ending up using an antenna/amp that I got as a freebie end even works better than an old antenna I bought of about $100 a few years ago.

Now I get all the major channels with little to no pixelation even when train passes by. On par, as that's how things were before that darn REPACK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2460.JPG (403.8 KB, 25 views)
Closed Thread