Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #3081
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
That deal sounds unbelievably great.

Could there be some kind of program subsidizing the price?

How many units? Maybe a huge discount if they can get hundreds of households subscribing at once.
No subsidy, just part of a broader offering. A majority already used Spectrum, but locks in the entire community and for less than anyone was paying for even the smallest streaming options. But now has guarantee cash flow and prevents loss to streaming. But for $21/mo everyone ends up saving, many saving $100/mo. Perhaps could be great opportunity for larger communities to see if they can negotiate something similar. I saw that YouTube TV went to $65, I'd guess those types of service will go up just like cable did.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #3082

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Good idea, Thanks. But I'm good to go .
The stronger CBS station which had disappeared for about 2 weeks is now back. I'm a happy camper again, at least until next time.
Sounds good!
Old 07-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #3083

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
No subsidy, just part of a broader offering. A majority already used Spectrum, but locks in the entire community and for less than anyone was paying for even the smallest streaming options. But now has guarantee cash flow and prevents loss to streaming. But for $21/mo everyone ends up saving, many saving $100/mo. Perhaps could be great opportunity for larger communities to see if they can negotiate something similar. I saw that YouTube TV went to $65, I'd guess those types of service will go up just like cable did.
Quote:
Heh.... Spectrum cut a deal with our HOA, entire community now gets Spectrum Bronze and basically all the Silver channels, hundreds of HD channels, along with Showtime and includes a DVR and cable box for $21/mo added to our HOA fees. And they also tossed in an AppleTV 4k device. And limits annual increases to 5%.

Y'all can keep up the adventures in cord cutting, Spectrum now made this a no brainier to keep with the simplicity of cable. Or we also can stream using Spectrum app, including outside the home to sets, great putting TV on the lanai. [emoji41]. Maybe Spectrum felt it was time the disrupted became the disrupter.

Is this a condo complex or an SFD neighborhood, if you don't mind me asking? And how many units in the HOA?

And did Spectrum contact the HOA or did the HOA contact Spectrum?

Our HOA which is 16 homes if you count just our street but another 12 homes if you add an adjacent HOA. We were recently contacted by an oil/propane company to bundle for a commercial rate plus added reductions depending on how many homes sign on. It has the potential to significantly reduce our costs. (We are in the northeast where oil is the predominant source of energy and the climate means significant annual energy costs.)

At any rate our neighborhood is interested in the concept of optimizing our bargaining power.

Sorry for all of my pointed questions.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #3084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Is this a condo complex or an SFD neighborhood, if you don't mind me asking? And how many units in the HOA?

And did Spectrum contact the HOA or did the HOA contact Spectrum?

Our HOA which is 16 homes if you count just our street but another 12 homes if you add an adjacent HOA. We were recently contacted by an oil/propane company to bundle for a commercial rate plus added reductions depending on how many homes sign on. It has the potential to significantly reduce our costs. (We are in the northeast where oil is the predominant source of energy and the climate means significant annual energy costs.)

At any rate our neighborhood is interested in the concept of optimizing our bargaining power.

Sorry for all of my pointed questions.
This is a SFD community, 600 homes. HOA in conjunction with developer negotiated with Spectrum. Developer has a total of 4,000 homes to use as leverage. We also have internet provided for $39, so this was added on for total of $60/mo including 400/400 internet service.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #3085

Lucky you. I can see the the shear volume is driving the deal and low price.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #3086
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is a SFD community, 600 homes. HOA in conjunction with developer negotiated with Spectrum. Developer has a total of 4,000 homes to use as leverage. We also have internet provided for $39, so this was added on for total of $60/mo including 400/400 internet service.
Makes sense. How many channels for $21 package though?

Definitely not premium channels?

But the other part of the equation is, is there another viable provider in the area, like another cable company or maybe FiOS?

Or municipal Internet?
Old 07-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #3087

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Makes sense. How many channels for $21 package though?

Definitely not premium channels?

But the other part of the equation is, is there another viable provider in the area, like another cable company or maybe FiOS?

Or municipal Internet?
Here's list of all the channels included. Some additional Showtime channels and Music Choice channels too.

proof_pdf.jpg

Frontier is other provider in the area, I'd go with streaming before selecting Frontier
Old 07-06-2020, 04:43 PM   #3088

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Good idea, Thanks. But I'm good to go .
The stronger CBS station which had disappeared for about 2 weeks is now back. I'm a happy camper again, at least until next time.
There was the final Phase 10 of the FCC required channel repacks that just ended in June. That's probably why you are now getting your station back.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 07-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #3089
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
There was the final Phase 10 of the FCC required channel repacks that just ended in June. That's probably why you are now getting your station back.
Could be. I did do a rescan as suggested when the repack was going on. Actually, the repack made the reception weaker.

At least now, according to the signal strength on my DVR for the good CBS station is almost on the Good level.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:10 PM   #3090
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's list of all the channels included. Some additional Showtime channels and Music Choice channels too.

Attachment 35556

Frontier is other provider in the area, I'd go with streaming before selecting Frontier
Great lineup, especially for the price.

If there are two providers able to offer comparable Internet and comparable TV packages, it pushes prices down.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:24 PM   #3091
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Heh.... Spectrum cut a deal with our HOA, entire community now gets Spectrum Bronze and basically all the Silver channels, hundreds of HD channels, along with Showtime and includes a DVR and cable box for $21/mo added to our HOA fees. And they also tossed in an AppleTV 4k device. And limits annual increases to 5%.

Y'all can keep up the adventures in cord cutting, Spectrum now made this a no brainier to keep with the simplicity of cable. Or we also can stream using Spectrum app, including outside the home to sets, great putting TV on the lanai. [emoji41]. Maybe Spectrum felt it was time the disrupted became the disrupter.
Our association has a deal like that with Xfinity and I hate it. We do get a good deal.... not the $21/month bobandsherry get but $30-35 as I recall and 4% limit on annual increases. What we pay is about 1/2 of the full retail price.

But, owners end up forced to pay whether they want the service or not. Some owners would be perfectly happy with the 40 channels of OTA available for free in our location... or free OTA and a skinny cable package like Philo. Also, since it is embedded in my association fee we end up paying for 12 months even though we are only there for 6 months... effectively subsidizing a screaming deal for cable for the full-timers. I would rather have the freedom to do my own thing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 07-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #3092

Some may be interested in this video review of a Tablo DVR. It seems to start a little slow but hang in there, at 5 minutes it starts to show all the things possible with the Tablo.
It has two tuners, allowing you to record one station while watching another or record two shows at the same time. It also has automatic commercial skip.
It has lots of useful features.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:20 AM   #3093
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Our association has a deal like that with Xfinity and I hate it. We do get a good deal.... not the $21/month bobandsherry get but $30-35 as I recall and 4% limit on annual increases. What we pay is about 1/2 of the full retail price.

But, owners end up forced to pay whether they want the service or not. Some owners would be perfectly happy with the 40 channels of OTA available for free in our location... or free OTA and a skinny cable package like Philo. Also, since it is embedded in my association fee we end up paying for 12 months even though we are only there for 6 months... effectively subsidizing a screaming deal for cable for the full-timers. I would rather have the freedom to do my own thing.
Stuff like this is always an issue when a place has seasonal and full timers...and yes if you don't want it or can only use half the time it doesn't matter how cheap it is. In your case with half usage, you are paying rack rate for something you don't want..
Old 07-08-2020, 11:25 AM   #3094

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Some may be interested in this video review of a Tablo DVR. It seems to start a little slow but hang in there, at 5 minutes it starts to show all the things possible with the Tablo.
It has two tuners, allowing you to record one station while watching another or record two shows at the same time. It also has automatic commercial skip.
It has lots of useful features.
Looks good, I like the automatic commercial skip.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #3095

Fire TV better integrates live programming on Sling, Hulu Live and YouTube TV

Back when we had PS Vue, there was a very deep level of integration within the Fire TV platform. For example, there was a traditional guide on the Fire TV home screen, a "Live" tab with all your live sources in one place, a row on the home screen with "what's on now", live stations on your "recently watched" row, voice search that included PS Vue content and recordings, and voice navigation. You could press the mic button on the remote and say things like, "tune to CBS." This functionality is also available currently with Philo, Sling, Prime live channels, and some lesser-known live streaming services.

Today's announcement indicates that this same level of integration is coming to Hulu Live and YouTube TV, starting today for YTTV. We're still on YTTV for the time being despite the recent price hike. So it will be nice to finally get this functionality back that we enjoyed with PS Vue.

I think if we were starting over today, I'd probably go with Roku. I think their devices are better and the Amazon self-promotional stuff gets old on Fire TV. But I think this live integration is a slight differentiating factor compared to Roku.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #3096
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Looks good, I like the automatic commercial skip.
It may be working better now, but I could never get good , constant results with it (auto commercial skip)when it was free. They started charging for it a few months ago and I did not think it was worth it. The Tablo itself has been very good and I'm happy I bought it, and would again.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #3097

We've had the 4-tuner Tablo for over 3 years now and absolutely love it. It never gives us any problems.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 07-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #3098

Rescanned again today. The only stations I can get over the air are six versions of Home Shopping Network and similar. According to the FCC DTV reception map web page, I should be getting a "strong" signal for PBS and "moderate" signals for nearly every other station. If I move the target on the map one mile to the west, all stations are "strong." Such is life in an area with mountains.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #3099
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Rescanned again today. The only stations I can get over the air are six versions of Home Shopping Network and similar. According to the FCC DTV reception map web page, I should be getting a "strong" signal for PBS and "moderate" signals for nearly every other station. If I move the target on the map one mile to the west, all stations are "strong." Such is life in an area with mountains.
Exactly. Our last house we got 9 channels downstairs and over 40 upstairs with the same OTA antenna!!! Moved the antenna up and downstairs several times and the discrepancy was there every time...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 07-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #3100

This is my OTA lineup:

WCBS, StartTV, Dabl, WNBC, COZI, LX, FOX, Movies!, LightTV, Decades, WABC, Localish, Laff, WWOR, BUZZR, H&I, WPIX, AntennaTV, CourtTV, TBD, WNET, PBSkids, FNX, WLIW, Create, World, ALL ARTS, NYC-TV1, NYC-TV2, NYC-TV3, ION, Qubo, IONPlus, SHOP, QVC, HSN, MeTV, Grit, Mystery, NewsNetNJ, WeatherNJ, 3 FM audio only stations, Univision, BounceTV, Telemundo, Telexitos, RNN, Circle, Canal, WLNY55, Comet, Stadium, ThisTV, WMBC, Quest, Chinese, NTD, 4 FM audio only stations, Justice, UniMas, GetTV
Closed Thread