Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
You are correct as far as I now. A Bolt would be a better deal for those who get or will soon get 4K TV's. But it is much more expensive and perhaps the expense is a big hurdle for many. By the way the Tivo delivers the full OTA HD experience when one plays back a recorded show. It really is very nice, even on my 720p Plasma TV. Love that Plasma display!!!
Bolt might do Netflix and Amazon 4k streaming but I doubt it would record any future 4K broadcasts, either OTA or cable.

Since neither of those standards are set yet.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2017, 10:38 AM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote for Tablo but with the caveat that picture quality is not quite as good as OTA. I believe there is some compression.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
How is the video quality? I find the uncompressed (or less compressed?) OTA signal to be so much sharper than cable/sat. I cannot tell the difference between direct antenna to TV and antenna to Tivo recording to TV. I wouldn't want to lose that.

My unscientific impression: looks good to me.

I haven’t had any complaints with video quality, but I also haven’t compared it side-by-side with the OTA signal.

We have our Tablo hard wired, so that most likely helps. It is converting the video stream, probably to mpeg4. That could cause some video degradation, but not necessarily anything you’d notice.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't read all the above, but we just signed up for YouTubeTV - $35 a month. Will be cheaper than our DirectTV account ($118). We only watch news and a few US shows; the rest we watch on AcornTV and Amazon Prime. Will add BritBox when we cancel DTV.

YouTubeTV: You can have up to 6 Google accounts signed in, each person gets their own Library, and there's a DVR-type function too. Their interface looks good - you actually SEE what's live on each channel. Can watch on iPad or laptop etc. - just need to use Chrome browser. Can control your TV with iPad. Still in learning mode but more details here:
https://tv.youtube.com * needs to be in your area to sign up (moving across country now)
Old 11-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

Tablo converts to h.264. Great picture quality but not original MPEG2. Never notice the difference in most situations. I'm a perfectionist and still have no problem dropping Dish. Highly recommended for potential cord cutters. Very easy to set up and use. Wish I had YouTube TV available here.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #166

Roamio OTA w/ lifetime service (old 500GB model) now $199 @ tivo.com for Cyber Monday, free shipping.

Just ordered another of the above.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #167
gone traveling

Still using DirecTv NOW for $35/month. They have CBS and NBC now, just have to go outside of DTV NOW for ABC on the ABC App. Picture is very good, no complaints. I keep reading they are going to have cloud DVR, but not yet. DW complained for a while without the DVR capability, but quickly got use to watching what shows she likes when they come on.

So far, minimal to no streaming issues for the downstairs TV's (Den and MBR). Upstairs is a little harder. I am thinking of a splitter for the cable internet and having a 2nd modem and wireless router upstairs for that area...
Old 11-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #168

Hulu is offering me another one-month trial subscription. Just finished a third, one-month trial with Amazon Prime. Might take a short break from the time suck that streaming can become before signing on for a free month with Hulu for the holiday season.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #169
Administrator

I just read Google will not make YouTube available on the Amazon FireTV beginning next month. This may be negotiating or posturing, but it may impact cord cutters. Story here https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...e-tvs-in-2018/
Old 12-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Hulu is offering me another one-month trial subscription. Just finished a third, one-month trial with Amazon Prime. Might take a short break from the time suck that streaming can become before signing on for a free month with Hulu for the holiday season.
Are you talking about Hulu or Hulu w live TV, very different.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 12-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
I haven't read all the above, but we just signed up for YouTubeTV - $35 a month. Will be cheaper than our DirectTV account ($118). We only watch news and a few US shows; the rest we watch on AcornTV and Amazon Prime. Will add BritBox when we cancel DTV.

YouTubeTV: You can have up to 6 Google accounts signed in, each person gets their own Library, and there's a DVR-type function too. Their interface looks good - you actually SEE what's live on each channel. Can watch on iPad or laptop etc. - just need to use Chrome browser. Can control your TV with iPad. Still in learning mode but more details here:
https://tv.youtube.com * needs to be in your area to sign up (moving across country now)
YouTubeTV looks great on mobile devices, but having to use a mobile device to broadcast to TV AND only via Chromecast kept me away (you can't use YouTubeTV with Roku, Amazon Fire, Apple TV or any other streaming device). And there are lots of reports that your mobile device may get pretty hot if you use it for TV for long periods. FWIW

The options all vary considerably, DirecTV Now, PS Vue, Sling, YouTubeTV, Hulu w live TV, etc. - it's really an individual choice as to which fits best for each viewer.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I just read Google will not make YouTube available on the Amazon FireTV beginning next month. This may be negotiating or posturing, but it may impact cord cutters. Story here https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...e-tvs-in-2018/
I think this is going to be an ongoing problem as the various media companies arm-wrestle over streaming rights. It has been going on for years with Netflix where they cut a deal with a movie studio for some period of time, then the contract is up and they can't negotiate a new deal so a whole package of movies/shows disappears.

Buying hardware from a company that is also now producing content (Amazon) is likely to exacerbate the problem. I'll stick with Roku for streaming hardware.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 12-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #173

Samsung is investing in Pluto TV.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...ontent-n811211

Pluto has more subscribers than all the rest combined and it's free. They have over 5 million subscribers. The video quality on their 4K channel is by far the best I have seen period.

I am running Sling Blue, Pluto, Netflix Premium, and a host of other free channels hosted on ROKU.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Samsung is investing in Pluto TV.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...ontent-n811211

Pluto has more subscribers than all the rest combined and it's free. They have over 5 million subscribers. The video quality on their 4K channel is by far the best I have seen period.

I am running Sling Blue, Pluto, Netflix Premium, and a host of other free channels hosted on ROKU.
Pluto has more subscribers, but it's free...

Pluto is mostly no name networks, even more obscure than all the clutter networks in the cable/satellite world, so you get what you pay for once again. It wouldn't begin to replace PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling, YouTube TV or Hulu w live TV.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #175
Full time employment: Posting here.

PlutoTV is interesting. It seems to have all the castoffs and misfits from HDTV. I do like the Slow TV (trains going through Norway). They have some fun/quirky stations. Some decent older movies.

It is definitely a supplement or something for a change of pace. They even have the channel where it is girls in bikinis on the beach with music playing from the old HDTV days.

Playstation Vue continues to meet all our needs on Fire TV. Netflix and PlutoTV add some diversity.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #176

Quote:
For me it was a huge deal when I couldn't get Amazon Prime Video on the Chromecast. By contrast, removing the YouTube app from Fire TV is a small disappointment. Content-wise, it's not really comparable, at least IMHO. Plus, there are dozens of other ways to get YouTube on the bigscreen if desired, including at least two ways without ever leaving the Fire TV input... the new Silk browser or Kodi. Both are more cumbersome to use than the app however.

In any case, I do wish Amazon and Google would learn how to play nice and cut a deal. It doesn't do anybody any good when you cut off access to your content to a large group of device owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
PlutoTV is interesting. It seems to have all the castoffs and misfits from HDTV. I do like the Slow TV (trains going through Norway). They have some fun/quirky stations. Some decent older movies...
A couple months ago, I installed Pluto on Fire TV and explored it for about 15-20 minutes. It was mildly interesting, but really nothing there for me. I've never looked at it again. I know it's getting lots of attention and some investment, so I'll check back at some point.

Currently, we subscribe to PS Vue, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Curiosity Stream, and PBS Passport. We get Hulu via DD's login. We never leave the Fire TV platform/input. There's way more content there than I have time to sit in front of the tube. New content comes faster than I can add it to my watch list.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Amazon finally released their app. for Apple TV.

Amazon is obviously pushing their own hardware, which has to be a loss leader for them. So you'd think they'd want to be on as many devices as possible, like Netflix's approach. Bezos is supposedly serious about producing original programming, with the deal they made for the prequel to Lord of the Rings.

If he wants the largest audience possible, he's going to have to get his app. on as many devices as possible.

Google is also trying to favor their own devices. Youtube app. on Apple TV 4K doesn't support HDR videos and they want to try to force people to use their VP8 and VP9 codecs instead of the more universal H.264 and H.265.

Sony tried to make its proprietary codecs popular. That's why they lost out on MP3 players and smart phones. It also hurt them for a long time with digital cameras too.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Pluto is mostly no name networks, even more obscure than all the clutter networks in the cable/satellite world, so you get what you pay for once again. It wouldn't begin to replace PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Sling, YouTube TV or Hulu w live TV.
Our primary live TV comes from Sling Blue for $24.99 per month. However my wife spends 80% of the time on Netflix. I use Pluto for news access that I don't have with Sling Blue ( i.e. CNBC, Business News network). They have a decent selection of free movies also. The "no name networks" carry the same programming as the filler stations that cable and satellite services offer. Keep in mind, before cable TV, television was free over the air and still is. Those broadcast stations relied on advertising for revenue. What Pluto is doing is offering the filler channel type programming and some live news channels for free with their revenue stream coming from advertising. As their base grows, they will offer more and more free programming on their platform. Like Sling and Netflix, you can watch Pluto on your PC, tablet, or phone, or your second home.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I got a popup this morning when using my Fire stick. Just bought 2 sticks....chaps my a$$. Not planning to change as I like the FS. If I need to watch youtube I will watch it on my Chromebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

I haven't seen much on Pluto that is to my liking. A couple of channels I might watch I can find elsewhere.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #180

I have roku's on most TV's but on one I have a low Charter Spectrum cable box. Charter used to soak me by demanding one box per TV, so I dropped. Now with an app that will run live TV on Roku, I am only a partial cord cutter.

Anyhow, some of my Roku's are pretty old. I decided to upgrade one to a Fire TV. IMHO, it is the best for my price range. However, I had to return it as the Spectrum app is not available for Fire TV. Fire TV has been out for at least a year. Why isn't Spectrum playing nice with Fire TV?
Closed Thread