Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #901
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FYI: Sling TV has a promotion right now (until 8/4) of "Free" service until Aug 20.

I say "Free," because they require you to put in your email and credit card info. They will charge you if you don't cancel before.

I'm tempted... but not sure I want another complication of forgetting something. I forgot my Paramount deal and got charged for full for 2 months because I wasn't paying attention. I apparently put the wrong date in my reminders.

Still, a good opportunity to try Sling if you ever thought it may be for you.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 02:47 PM   #902
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
FYI: Sling TV has a promotion right now (until 8/4) of "Free" service until Aug 20.
Saw that and was tempted for a moment, but not going to bite.

I subscribe to Sling Orange for a few months each year to watch college football on the ESPN network. In the past I subscribed for five months, starting the first Saturday of the season (Sept 3 this year) but I've learned if I delay signing up until the second Saturday of the season (Sept 10) I can save a full month of subscription cost ($35 + tax). The final game of the season, the National Championship, will be on Monday, January 9, the day before my fourth subscription month expires.

This strategy results in me missing a few games that first weekend, which is not a big deal since most are little more than preseason scrimmages. Not that I really need that $35, but why waste it if I don't have to?

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:54 PM   #903
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Saw that and was tempted for a moment, but not going to bite.

I subscribe to Sling Orange for a few months each year to watch college football on the ESPN network. In the past I subscribed for five months, starting the first Saturday of the season (Sept 3 this year) but I've learned if I delay signing up until the second Saturday of the season (Sept 10) I can save a full month of subscription cost ($35 + tax). The final game of the season, the National Championship, will be on Monday, January 9, the day before my fourth subscription month expires.

This strategy results in me missing a few games that first weekend, which is not a big deal since most are little more than preseason scrimmages. Not that I really need that $35, but why waste it if I don't have to?
Notice how they timed this to just avoid the first college games?

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #904

Quote:
Notice how they timed this to just avoid the first college games?
Yep. Obvious play to get an extra month out of subscribers to avoid missing many of the big time bowl games and the college playoffs.

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #905
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm tempted... but not sure I want another complication of forgetting something. I forgot my Paramount deal and got charged for full for 2 months because I wasn't paying attention. I apparently put the wrong date in my reminders.
So, you are looking for a babysitter?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:52 PM   #906
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I say "Free," because they require you to put in your email and credit card info. They will charge you if you don't cancel before.

I heard about this a few days ago, but as soon as I saw a CC was required, I didn't give it a second though. I don't have time to watch any more crap anyway. lol
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:26 AM   #907

Apple is offering three months of free AppleTV+ to Apple Card holders, even for existing subscribers. I donít have the link anymore but a quick Google search should find it. You have to remember to cancel in three months, though.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:36 PM   #908
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is Sling Blue + Orange my best bet for cheap football? $50. Youtube TV is $64.99. Spectrum is $55 but I also have a fee for Local Broadcast Surcharge of $22. And with Spectrum, I can only watch it from my home network (most of the channels).

I may continue through the end of March Madness.
Z3Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:22 PM   #909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Is Sling Blue + Orange my best bet for cheap football? .
Yes, that appears to be the case.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:25 AM   #910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Is Sling Blue + Orange my best bet for cheap football? $50. Youtube TV is $64.99.

I may continue through the end of March Madness.
Sling has broadcast channels in only a few markets so you may need an antenna. For college football and basketball I have Sling Orange+Sports at $46 + tax. I don't get NFL/FS1 like you would but I gain ESPNU, SEC/SEC+, ACC/ACCx, 6 regional PAC-12 networks and Longhorn Network.

For the occasional game on NFL network I want to watch, I can easily switch to Blue+Sports anytime so it's basically included in the price. There may be restrictions on switching during the first month. I didn't learn about this feature until later.

Quote:
Q: Can you switch each day? Say I want Orange on Saturday, Blue on Sunday and then Orange again Monday-Saturday.

What about switching quicker than that? Letís say FS1 on Blue has a game in the afternoon I want to watch, and then ESPN on Orange has a game in the evening. Can I switch that quickly?
A: Yes to all that.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote