Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #201
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Go out and get an over the air antennae. They can be very small and unobtrusive. Ours is smaller than our cable thing. Assuming you can get signal. You can pick up the locals that way

You have to switch inputs on your remote to watch the locals OTA. Like doing a Roku. Which confuses Mrs Scrapr. But sometimes there are cable disputes and a station will drop off the cable but be on the OTA channels. So she figures it out

Do you mind identifying the OTA antenna you bought and how far your stations are from your house? According to https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
I can get 7 local strong signal channels and 1 moderate channel. Not sure an indoor antennae can pull them in. Can I share 1 indoor antenna with a 2nd TV or should I just buy a 2nd indoor antenna if the results are good?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTN View Post
Do you mind identifying the OTA antenna you bought and how far your stations are from your house? According to https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
I can get 7 local strong signal channels and 1 moderate channel. Not sure an indoor antennae can pull them in. Can I share 1 indoor antenna with a 2nd TV or should I just buy a 2nd indoor antenna if the results are good?
In my experience, that website is pretty darn optimistic.

For us it shows good coverage. In our family room we get just 1 OTA channel. Up in our second story bedroom we do get good coverage. So we have a TiVo up there and added a TiVo Mini to the family room so we're sharing the upstairs antenna (and DVR functionality).

Even worse, I looked up my DF's place in Florida. Again, it shows promises good coverage, but he barely gets one OTA channel (one story house). So I set him up with Direct TV Now and they provide a bunch of channels and even most of the local ones he wants. He's stills having lots of money over the Comcast Cable TV service he had.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #203
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
May be an apples and oranges thing. You folks are talking indoor antennas an the linked website says this:
Quote:
Signal strength calculations are based on the traditional TV reception model assuming an outdoor antenna 30 feet above ground level.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #204
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post

For us it shows good coverage. In our family room we get just 1 OTA channel. Up in our second story bedroom we do get good coverage. So we have a TiVo up there and added a TiVo Mini to the family room so we're sharing the upstairs antenna (and DVR functionality).

Even worse, I looked up my DF's place in Florida. Again, it shows promises good coverage, but he barely gets one OTA channel (one story house). So I set him up with Direct TV Now and they provide a bunch of channels and even most of the local ones he wants. He's stills having lots of money over the Comcast Cable TV service he had.
I get in excess of 32 channels, which is more than the 19 channels that that website says I should be getting. My indoor antenna was built from wire and a short section of 2x4 by Frank, who has been into ham radio for 45 years and has a specific interest in antennas. It cost me $6 to reimburse him for the cost but he made me a second one for free from the leftovers, for the TV in my bedroom.

Therefore, my recommendation to those wanting a good antenna is to cozy up close to the best ham radio hobbyist that you know...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Therefore, my recommendation to those wanting a good antenna is to cozy up close to the best ham radio hobbyist that you know...
If I tried that, I'm sure their wives would object.

omni
Old 01-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #206
Dryer sheet aficionado

How about some photos of that good antenna?
Old 01-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Here is one plan for an antenna

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cult...al-tv-antenna/

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As I posted, it's not "THAT good antenna", it's A COUPLE of good antennas, one for each of my two TVs. He has a number of great designs and used different ones for his own antennas. So really it's FOUR good antennas, each with its own characteristics. Ask a ham who knows what he is doing - - he will know a few good designs to try and experiment with.

The first one he made for me was of the simplest most common design ever, because he was in a huge hurry and late for an appointment. The photo below shows that one. It got pretty bent up when I moved, but it's straightened up enough now that it is satisfactory for me.

He used a much more complex design for the antenna he built later for the bedroom. But, I really don't think it's that much better and I am not posting a photo of my bedroom.

This isn't a great photo but there is no way I am going to move the antenna for photographic purposes. It works best like this. I used to hide it behind the TV, but lately I just don't care if it shows. I mean, who is going to judge me? Surely not Frank, and I am not exactly a party animal when it comes to inviting people into my home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antenna_small.jpg (38.1 KB, 65 views)

Old 01-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #209
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
May be an apples and oranges thing. You folks are talking indoor antennas an the linked website says this:
Quote:
Signal strength calculations are based on the traditional TV reception model assuming an outdoor antenna 30 feet above ground level.
I’m repeating myself, but this ^ is crucial. We get 9 channels OTA downstairs and almost 50 upstairs in our house, no matter where on either floor.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 01-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’m repeating myself, but this ^ is crucial. We get 9 channels OTA downstairs and almost 50 upstairs in our house, no matter where on either floor.
That's so odd. My indoor antenna is 3-6 feet above the ground (one story house built on a slab, set on a 3' high TV stand), and I still get 32 channels as opposed to their 19. Oh well. My best guess is that they must have goofed or something.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #211
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As I posted, it's not "THAT good antenna", it's A COUPLE of good antennas, one for each of my two TVs. He has a number of great designs and used different ones for his own antennas. So really it's FOUR good antennas, each with its own characteristics. Ask a ham who knows what he is doing - - he will know a few good designs to try and experiment with.

The first one he made for me was of the simplest most common design ever, because he was in a huge hurry and late for an appointment. The photo below shows that one. It got pretty bent up when I moved, but it's straightened up enough now that it is satisfactory for me.

He used a much more complex design for the antenna he built later for the bedroom. But, I really don't think it's that much better and I am not posting a photo of my bedroom.

This isn't a great photo but there is no way I am going to move the antenna for photographic purposes. It works best like this. I used to hide it behind the TV, but lately I just don't care if it shows. I mean, who is going to judge me? Surely not Frank, and I am not exactly a party animal when it comes to inviting people into my home.

Thanks! I say what works is best and if it’s cheaper, it’s better! [emoji41]
Old 01-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #212
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Thanks, looks pretty easy to make. [emoji41]
Old 01-14-2018, 12:41 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
They want $20 a month for those channels.
That's true. But if you live in an area with lots of hills, OTA antennas do not work, so $20 is a lot less than $100. Combine it with internet streaming and you can get local channels plus other entertainment. Local news can be made available for no additional cost with a Roku player and OnNews channel. But selection is limited.

Today, though, live feed TV (like You Tube and Hulu) are adding local channels which, if the cost meets your budget, means you can totally cut the cable cord. I consider this part still in development. For me, the live feed needs to be less than $20 a month to make it worthwhile.

-Rita
Old 01-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #214

Our neighborhood is scheduled to get i3 Broadband. I checked online to the offered services, the bundle and our AT&T is way less. We have phone, internet, 3 TV, HD, movie channels, 250 channels with all sports and so on. We record everything. Our monthly bill is $152.00. Not sure why everyone is so excited about i3 broadband.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #215
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
That's true. But if you live in an area with lots of hills, OTA antennas do not work, so $20 is a lot less than $100. Combine it with internet streaming and you can get local channels plus other entertainment. Local news can be made available for no additional cost with a Roku player and OnNews channel. But selection is limited.

Today, though, live feed TV (like You Tube and Hulu) are adding local channels which, if the cost meets your budget, means you can totally cut the cable cord. I consider this part still in development. For me, the live feed needs to be less than $20 a month to make it worthwhile.

-Rita

I actually use OnNews to watch 2 News Channels from Tennessee since I moved to Missouri last year. The broadcasts are not live but previously broadcasted recordings which doesn’t really bother me since I just want to see some news from the Nashville area that I use to watch. One channel broadcast is higher picture quality than the other. Either one satisfies my needs and usually I will watch one after the other until they repeat.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #216

I did OTA for years before switching back to a cable triple play.

I found that indoor antennas never worked - needed an outside or attic mounted antenna.

In the end, I bought a large (8-bay) UHF antenna and paid a local installer to install it in the attic and run the antenna cable down into my living room HDTV.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #217
Give me a forum ...

I sure wish Aereo had been legal.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #218
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I sure wish Aereo had been legal.
Don't we all!
Old 01-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Don't we all!
Aereo...

The funny thing is that people like me are simply not willing to pay the high sums needed to fund the modern entertainment industry. So, I put up an antenna (thankfully, I live in range of the transmitters), bought a Tivo and am happy as a clam with more entertainment than I can watch. Netflix and Amazon Prime video also provide some entertainment. But, the total cost to me (including amortizing the equipment and part of the Prime cost) is maybe $20 a month.

Aereo could have tripled their price and I still would have paid it. Now I get more for less. So perhaps I should thank those who killed it.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #220

OTA not an option for me.

Signal Legends
Strong Signal
Strong Moderate Signal
Moderate Weak Signal
Weak No Signal
No Signal
Callsign Network Virtual Channel Band
Click on callsign for detail
Strong Signal WTBY TBN 54-1 UHF