Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 03:44 PM   #3581
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yes, they definitely do: TiVo Edge Antenna DVR - 500GB (including lifetime All-In Service) $289 That's $160 off.

Note that the sale is good on Black Friday only and "while supplies last" so it might be a good idea to order early in the day.
Wow, that’s a really good price. I wish I had better reception with an antenna. I’d buy a couple of those and ditch my cable. But last time I tried it I only picked up about ten channels.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #3582
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like Hulu's ad supported, non-live service will be offered for $2 per month on black Friday.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...al-1234839103/

Old 11-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #3583
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if the offer will apply to people who took it a couple years ago. If so, perhaps DW will end up doing it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #3584
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Looks like Hulu's ad supported, non-live service will be offered for $2 per month on black Friday.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...al-1234839103/
Joe, for someone like myself who has YouTubeTV would I get any benefit our of Hulu? The only thing I am missing on Hulu that I want is sports on Fox Sports. Does Hulu have this?
Old 11-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #3585
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the info. I probably would have missed it. For 2 bucks a month, it’s well worth it.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #3586
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Joe, for someone like myself who has YouTubeTV would I get any benefit our of Hulu? The only thing I am missing on Hulu that I want is sports on Fox Sports. Does Hulu have this?

Joe's post:

The bolded part answers your question.
Hulu has a selection of on-demand movies and TV shows.
https://reelgood.com/movies/source/hulu for a list of movies.
https://reelgood.com/tv/source/hulu for TV shows.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #3587

The comic Sally Forth took a dig at YouTube TV today LOL

https://www.comicskingdom.com/shared...5-228b8ed7c767
Old 11-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #3588

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I wonder if the offer will apply to people who took it a couple years ago. If so, perhaps DW will end up doing it.
If they don't just use a different e-mail address and that should work for you.
I went to cancel my $1.99 subscription deal from last Black Friday a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of a new offer coming up. I used the reason to expensive and there and then it offered me a free month plus another year at $1.99 so I took it. It does not show on my account screen yet so I called them to verify and she said that once my current subscription deal runs out then it would show the new deal. I don't watch more than a few shows a year on Hulu so definitely not worth $5.99 a month but at $1.99 that is a real deal.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #3589

Quote:
Re the Hulu Basic deal Slickdeals says
The deal will be available for "new and eligible returning subscribers" that have not had an active subscription within the past 3 months. If you are an existing customer (or had a subscription within the past 3 months), you just need to sign-up using a new email address.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #3590
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
It was already answered: this deal doesn't include anything live.

The Fox Sports RSN issue is a whole different problem. Neither Hulu+Live or YTTV have them at this time.

The $2 Hulu is probably worth it for the occasional movie or show, after you get sick of the others. I watched Parasite (won Academy Award) on my free Hulu trial last summer, for example.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #3591
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It was already answered: this deal doesn't include anything live.

The Fox Sports RSN issue is a whole different problem. Neither Hulu+Live or YTTV have them at this time.

The $2 Hulu is probably worth it for the occasional movie or show, after you get sick of the others. I watched Parasite (won Academy Award) on my free Hulu trial last summer, for example.
Thanks Joe, I watched Parasite also and I started a whole thread on my thoughts.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #3592
Give me a forum ...

I keep seeing the "Discovery Family of Networks" being run at the bottom of their networks and recently, this self promotion has ramped up with full blown commercials. The only reason I can see this is that they are trying to put in viewer's minds that they offer SO MANY NETWORKS...and this is being done because they are going to launch their OWN streaming service.

This cable cutting is really getting to be a pain in the arse. There are number of shows that my DW watches religiously and some have ads NO MATTER what service you use; UNLESS it's a service owned by the content owner. Example: Hulu Live+No Ads...yeah...not so much. So many of the shows (like ones owned by NBC Universal) have ads and you cannot get out of it, UNLESS you have Peacock PREMIUM PLUS. I noticed that "Mom" on Hulu also has ads...well, if you get CBS All Access, then you can watch it ad free. I could go on and on with this rant but my point is that the ability to watch current shows ad free is almost impossible...unless you subscribe to 72 different streaming services and it's very frustrating.

And the DVR option? I have found they all pretty much suck. Fast forwarding through commercials is all but impossible with our cable cloud-based version and I am not interested in paying extra for the DVR options on the other streaming services. Maybe I need to hook up our OTA antenna up to my old school VCR.

Personally, the few shows I watch I would just buy outright for the $20-30 for the season. At $50 a month, that would get me 20-30 shows which is WAY more than I really would want to watch.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #3593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Wow, that’s a really good price. I wish I had better reception with an antenna. I’d buy a couple of those and ditch my cable. But last time I tried it I only picked up about ten channels.
Have you put your zipcode in here,
https://antennaweb.org/
To see what channels would be available if you had a good antenna?
I receive 9 channels, but with the sub channels that adds up to 29 channels. If I takeout the duplicates, maybe 22 or 23 channels.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #3594
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I noticed that "Mom" on Hulu also has ads...well, if you get CBS All Access, then you can watch it ad free.
I'm not even sure that matters. I'm currently on trial with CBS All Access, and watching Star Trek: Discovery. Ads.

Is the trial not equivalent to pay? I'm going to presume it is. I shall not pay for ads on this service, so I shall not renew. It is a pretty expensive, narrowly focused service to be adding ads to.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #3595
Full time employment: Posting here.

The $60 a year version of all access does have ads, but they also have lots of shows that I can’t get until years after they air. I did try a free month on Disney and, without kids in the house, found it lacking in non-kid content that I can find free elsewhere. I plan to take advantage of the $2 a month Hulu offer in a few days. For those of us who grew up before VCRs and DVRs, commercials were a way of life. And sometimes they were painfully long. A 30 minute show would have a minimum of 10 minutes of commercials. I think we are totally spoiled now. $2 a month with commercials, $12 with none? My time, especially during COVID, is not worth the extra $10 a month. I DVR what I can and skip commercials. But I see no reason to skip reasonably priced pay services just because they have commercials. If you go OTR and don’t have a DVR/VCR (yes, I still have one, but the tapes might be gummy by now), you will still end up with commercials. Just like the old days.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #3596
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
The $60 a year version of all access does have ads, but they also have lots of shows that I can’t get until years after they air. I did try a free month on Disney and, without kids in the house, found it lacking in non-kid content that I can find free elsewhere. I plan to take advantage of the $2 a month Hulu offer in a few days. For those of us who grew up before VCRs and DVRs, commercials were a way of life. And sometimes they were painfully long. A 30 minute show would have a minimum of 10 minutes of commercials. I think we are totally spoiled now. $2 a month with commercials, $12 with none? My time, especially during COVID, is not worth the extra $10 a month. I DVR what I can and skip commercials. But I see no reason to skip reasonably priced pay services just because they have commercials. If you go OTR and don’t have a DVR/VCR (yes, I still have one, but the tapes might be gummy by now), you will still end up with commercials. Just like the old days.
Bolded mine. I agree. Which is why I think the $2 Hulu is well worth it.

I don't think $6 for CBS is worth it. But that's just me.

I will say this about the ads on CBS Star Trek: Discovery and Picard -- they were short and sweet. Maybe a bit repetitive, but never over 105 seconds, usually 60 or less. And only 3 breaks or so. I can almost swallow that.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #3597
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Have you put your zipcode in here,
https://antennaweb.org/
To see what channels would be available if you had a good antenna?
I receive 9 channels, but with the sub channels that adds up to 29 channels. If I takeout the duplicates, maybe 22 or 23 channels.
IME that is a poor tool... if I put in the address for or Vermont home I get "No stations found for the entered location." yet in reality I get 9 stations and 29 channels including all the major networks.

Other websites have indicated I would get marginal reception at that address. You really need to just try out an antenna to know for sure.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #3598
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IME that is a poor tool... if I put in the address for or Vermont home I get "No stations found for the entered location." yet in reality I get 9 stations and 29 channels including all the major networks.

Other websites have indicated I would get marginal reception at that address. You really need to just try out an antenna to know for sure.
I think TVFool is more accurate:

TV Fool
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 11-25-2020, 09:46 AM   #3599
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Bolded mine. I agree. Which is why I think the $2 Hulu is well worth it.

I don't think $6 for CBS is worth it. But that's just me.

I will say this about the ads on CBS Star Trek: Discovery and Picard -- they were short and sweet. Maybe a bit repetitive, but never over 105 seconds, usually 60 or less. And only 3 breaks or so. I can almost swallow that.
With both Hulu and CBS All-Access I have been quite willing to pay an extra $4-6 or so a month for commercial free programming for the short time that we had them. Other than a handful of shows that I was particulrly interest in I didn't find much to get excited about.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:49 AM   #3600
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think TVFool is more accurate:

TV Fool
IME that one is much better... but still for my location all the channels that I get are red or grey suggesting that I would need a roof-mounted antenna or "extreme measures" to get them but my attic antenna gets them fine (with a couple exceptions).

Closed Thread