Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #3601
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
With both Hulu and CBS All-Access I have been quite willing to pay an extra $4-6 or so a month for commercial free programming for the short time that we had them. Other than a handful of shows that I was particulrly interest in I didn't find much to get excited about.
I guess this is where the industry is going: seasonal subscriptions. Unless they can produce continuous compelling content, people will come and go.

I haven't subscribed to Disney+ yet. I'll let a few seasons of Mandalorian get in the can first, and then binge it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #3602
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
IME that one is much better... but still for my location all the channels that I get are red or grey suggesting that I would need a roof-mounted antenna or "extreme measures" to get them but my attic antenna gets them fine (with a couple exceptions).
Yeah, perhaps so, though I prefer erring on the side of being conservative. I'd hate to buy an attic antenna because the tool says it should work, only to learn later that I need more horsepower, so to speak.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #3603
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, perhaps so, though I prefer erring on the side of being conservative. I'd hate to buy an attic antenna because the tool says it should work, only to learn later that I need more horsepower, so to speak.
Order it from Amazon and return it if it doesn't do the job?
Old 11-25-2020, 10:04 AM   #3604
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I think TVFool is more accurate:

TV Fool

Last I knew TV fool was not updating. I used TV fool for years.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #3605
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Last I knew TV fool was not updating. I used TV fool for years.
It may not be. That said, in the vast majority of cases, little has changed except for a few stations changing frequency (say from high UHF to high VHF) and perhaps changing power a bit.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #3606
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Order it from Amazon and return it if it doesn't do the job?
Exactly. In getting to the point where I get the channels I get I have bought 4 antennas and returns 3. The first two were from Walmart and the second two were by mail from Channelmaster. Interestingly, the least espensive $40 antenna that I bought at Walmart has worked as good or better than all the others.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #3607

For those who don't mind watching shows the next day, and want the ability to stream and record shows, you can look into PlayOn. They currently have their annual Thanksgiving sale of $34.99 for a lifetime license.

https://www.playon.tv/offers/upgrade/

You are limited in what you channels/networks/streaming service/whatever you want to call it you can record from, but by purchasing the one-time license, you have the ability to skip commercials. If commercial skip is enabled, once you have recorded a show and you are ready to watch it, you will be prompted with "Do you want to skip commercials?". You click on "Yes" and the show plays and automatically skips commercials.

Some of the channels require logins, so you will need a subscription, others do not. It just depends.

You can set up one-time recordings or series recordings.

The channels available are:
  • ABC
    Amazon Prime Video
    CBS
    Charter
    Spectrum
    Crackle
    The CW
    Disney+
    Fox
    HBO Max
    HBO
    Nordic
    Hulu
    NBC
    Netflix
    Peacock
    PBS
    Roku Channel
    Showtime
    Showtime Anytime
    Tubi
    Vudu
    Xfinity
    YouTube
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 11-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #3608
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
For those who don't mind watching shows the next day, and want the ability to stream and record shows, you can look into PlayOn. They currently have their annual Thanksgiving sale of $34.99 for a lifetime license.
You do, I believe, need a computer and a way to connect it to your TV for this to work. (I highly recommend it, BTW)
Old 11-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #3609
Give me a forum ...

Another issue for some is that recordings are limited to 720p.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #3610
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
For those of us who grew up before VCRs and DVRs, commercials were a way of life. And sometimes they were painfully long. A 30 minute show would have a minimum of 10 minutes of commercials. .
I don't think this is accurate. As far as I know, commercial breaks have indeed gotten longer. There are a few articles that break this down, but this fella came up with this:

-In 1952, 13 percent of the time was spent watching commercials (only 4 minutes out of every half hour!)

-In 2018 that number had increased to 32 percent or 19 minutes of the hour.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #3611
Full time employment: Posting here.

At one point in TV history I believe there was a law or agreement that limited the number and length of commercials on any show. They have indeed become longer - the ones near the end of an hour long show can be 4 to 5 minutes each. Which is why most people use a DVR so they can skip commercials. The TV companies and their sponsors know that, so they add more commercials. Airtime ain’t free. There was a huge fight when VCRs first came out (before cable) with TV stations wanting to put a surcharge on each VCR and tape sold to make up for lost commercial revenue. I remember something similar by the recording studios when the first cassette tapes came out. None of it ever happened. Now you can pirate recordings, shows, movies from the internet. The world has changed.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #3612
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Airtime ain’t free.
Hey, I get it. And I am more than willing to pay for the content. As a matter of fact, I bet there are a decent number of folks that would even pay a premium for that...I am one (for the few shows that I do really like) but it's almost impossible to do so. There just has to be more money in it for the content owners to sell ads than it is for the end consumer to pay extra to opt out of them totally. Of course, this isn't and end all be all...I readily admit that there are plenty of choices with no ads; Netflix, Amazon, etc.

DVRs were great, but they are getting smart with this, too. Our cable company only has a cloud based version and there are several shows that you cannot FF no matter what you do. Even a couple of channels seem to let you FF, but then will kick you back to the beginning of the show.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:18 AM   #3613
Recycles dryer sheets

Hulu has a Black Friday deal of $1.99/month for 12 months for their ad supported subscription. Only for new customers. Apparently they have had the same promotion previous years, but this is the first year we cut the cord.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #3614
Give me a forum ...

Other black Friday deals:
https://thestreamable.com/news/best-...aming-services

I'm thinking of biting on the $12 per year CuriosityStream offer.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #3615
Give me a forum ...

I should do a poll on what users pay for TV streaming (or maybe TV all sources) without internet. But there are probably too many caveats.

We find ourselves using Hulu Live and nothing else for $55/mo, about to go to $65/mo out of laziness in part, mostly because DW simply won’t tolerate the complexity that comes with getting what she wants using a variety of services/apps/sources. There’s no way around this for me. I hooked up an antenna twice to show her how many “free” channels we could have including all the major networks, she flatly refused to deal with switching input sources - period. Same with third party DVRs, definite NO.

We’ve never been seasonal subscribers, but we probably should. We’ve never done Netflix (unheard of I know), Amazon, HBO, or the like. DW loves movies and I’ve offered to subscribe, she always says no

Live news and especially sports remain a draw for us, or it would easy to drop to on demand steaming only and save much more.

But like everyone else it appears the remaining consolidated major providers are positioning themselves to keep their content exclusive - killing off (or making them prohibitively expensive) bundlers whether streaming, satellite or cable. It’s annoying to see channels splinter off month and after month.

Will bundlers, one source for all popular content, disappear eventually?

Will live TV disappear, with everything on demand someday (not soon)?

So I muddle along paying more and more for less, but still saving a lot versus cable or satellite, so far.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 11-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #3616
Give me a forum ...

It is really interesting, Midpack, how I've changed over the years. Somewhere earlier in this thread I may have complained in a discussion to you how much easier cable is over something like Hulu+live, and that's why I was keeping it (direct channel input, return to last channel button, etc.)

Today, I'm now a mad app-flipper! My, how I've changed.

DW has just disengaged from TV. She never was much of a TV person. She lets me drive. She jokes that someday she's going to have to learn how to operate the new TV because she has no clue.

Like any bad habit, I had to bite the bullet and just drop news+sports to see if I could live without. After two months, the desire wore off. I can still get a hit of sports with OTA for key games. PlutoTV and others have some news. Philo added Newsy. That's enough.

We currently subscribe to Netflix and Philo, and use Tablo for OTA. Works pretty well.

I get HBO Max for "free" with my AT&T internet.

I expect more unbundling in the future. I'm coming to terms with it as long as I don't have the big streaming bundles overlayed on it.

The biggie for us are the FOX RSNs. This is a trouble area since both Hulu and YTTV have dropped them. They have all but announced they want to unbundle into their own service, soon. Cost unknown. If YTTV or Hulu pick them back up, we may seasonally subscribe for some sports.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #3617

All I pay for is internet, $50 mo, for 60MBPS.
I need to complain, I have two friends with 100MBPS and pay less than I do with the same company.
We have OTA, Modbro and USTVGO.TV, Pluto TV along with Amazon that we very rarely use.
This is kind of silly, in that we have 50x our yearly expenses, so we have plenty to spend on cable or, any streaming service, but what we have seems to work for us.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #3618
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Will bundlers, one source for all popular content, disappear eventually?

Will live TV disappear, with everything on demand someday (not soon)?

So I muddle along paying more and more for less, but still saving a lot versus cable or satellite, so far.

One source gone? I think so. Well, until people get tired of dealing with 37 services and there is a "revolutionary service!!!" that will bring it all together in one place...for a so, so reasonable price. What's old is new again!!!

Live TV going away? Maybe OTA, but since sports will be a thing for a while...I don't know how that would not be live for a very long time.

I have certainly bitched about the whole thing enough in this thread, but I am like you...it's all about the DW. If it wasn't for her shows/wants/needs...I would simply have an OTA antenna for local news for weather/etc. and I would just outright BUY the few shows I watch. It would be much cheaper and a whole helluva lot easier!
Old 11-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #3619
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
If it wasn't for her shows/wants/needs...I would simply have an OTA antenna for local news for weather/etc. and I would just outright BUY the few shows I watch.
I don't know if she'd be willing to use a different app, but you could get a Fire Recast or Tablo to watch OTA TV without switching TV inputs.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #3620
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I don't know if she'd be willing to use a different app, but you could get a Fire Recast or Tablo to watch OTA TV without switching TV inputs.
But you may need to switch apps.

Next week I'm going to have to have a Roku 101 lesson with DW.

The Tablo helps a lot because we don't have to switch inputs to the actual TV antenna input, and the Roku. I think once she gets the app thing, she'll be fine.

She can drive a car with a manual transmission. She's got this!

Closed Thread