USB-A to USB-C for ipad

Finance Dave

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ok, this has happened to us twice now.

We have Apple products, but hate their "stock" charging cords...flimsy and don't last long. Bought some better "braided" ones. They worked fine. Bought another set, they did NOT work...you plug the phone in and on the phone in the upper right corner it says "not charging". Had to return them.

Fast forward to today...bought the wife a new ipad...has the USB-C connector...so we bought some additional cables...USB-A to USB-C. It was a 3-pack of different lengths. The ad specifies mostly Samsung devices, but says it will fit "all USB-C devices". Just received them today, tried them...no workie....get that "not charging" message.

When I go into Amazon and try to find some of these cords that are SPECIFICALLY for Apple or say they will work on Apple, almost none of them do. What is going on here?

I would like to have some choices of different lengths, colors, etc...but for some reason almost none of them are approved for Apple?

Anyone know what's going on and have a recommendation?

We have Apple products, but hate their "stock" charging cords...flimsy and don't last long. Bought some better "braided" ones. They worked fine. Bought another set, they did NOT work...you plug the phone in and on the phone in the upper right corner it says "not charging". Had to return them.

Fast forward to today...bought the wife a new ipad...has the USB-C connector...so we bought some additional cables...USB-A to USB-C. It was a 3-pack of different lengths. The ad specifies mostly Samsung devices, but says it will fit "all USB-C devices". Just received them today, tried them...no workie....get that "not charging" message.

When I go into Amazon and try to find some of these cords that are SPECIFICALLY for Apple or say they will work on Apple, almost none of them do. What is going on here?

I would like to have some choices of different lengths, colors, etc...but for some reason almost none of them are approved for Apple?

Not an Apple guy but this article may help:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/usb-c-vs-thunderbolt

Apple does not use USB-C. They use their proprietary Thunderbolt connectors. They are physically the same but somewhat different in software and capabilities.

Apple does not use USB-C. They use their proprietary Thunderbolt connectors. They are physically the same but somewhat different in software and capabilities.

Could have fooled me, both the below Apple websites quote that the iPad Air uses USB-C and make no mention of Thunderbolt.

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/ipad-air-5th-generation-ipadaf1251d3/ipados

https://www.apple.com/ipad-air/

USB cables vary in quality, especially when buying a generic from Amazon or off a retailer shelf. Apple devices are fussy as far as the quality of the USB cable they will work with. It's hit or miss when using non-Apple cables. The best bet is to accept that some are going to work and some won't and experiment until you find a merchant/brand that does work, then buy a few extra as they will degrade over time.

Do not rely on the description shown for cables on Amazon, instead use the reviews and look for some that specifically say folks are using them with Apple devices. Unfortunately, though that will help, it is not always a 100% guarantee - because any Amazon merchant can just piggyback off an existing Amazon listed product and say theirs is the same. To reduce the possibility of this, look for those with a branded name (whatever it may be), and have hundreds or thousands of 4-star or better ratings.

Non-Apple devices are generally less fussy as far as the quality of USB cable required to work. However, even then, very cheap ones may work for data, but fail for charging, or fast charging.

These are the ones I last purchased in January and April and work fine for both DW's Apple devices, my non-Apple devices, and they've held up well to normal usage:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095P8HF7Y

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FF4RLQN

You might also check the power output of the wall wart you're using to charge it. iPads need more than iPhones in general, so look at the specs.

Yup, go with Anker. More expensive than the no-name stuff but much better quality. Still cheaper than Apple.

Could have fooled me, both the below Apple websites quote that the iPad Air uses USB-C and make no mention of Thunderbolt.

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/ipad-air-5th-generation-ipadaf1251d3/ipados

https://www.apple.com/ipad-air/

They highlight USB-C because it is much better at transferring power. The plug into the iPad is still a lightning cable.

“While USB-A could only support up to 2.5 watts and 5 volts, USB-C now supports 100 watts and 20 volts easily enough for larger devices. The practical benefits of this include pass-through charging; effectively a USB hub that powers laptops, and also charges other devices simultaneously.”

Welcome to Apple's "walled garden", where everything must have an Apple logo on it ($$) or it may not work.

Sorry, that’s just not true.

USB C refers to the physical connector. It’s a great physical connector - especially since there is not “wrong way” to plug it in.

Cables that use USB C provide power, data (including video) and this is defined by the USB and Thunderbolt specifications. Frankly these specs are a mess and lead to confusion. (For USB pay attention to USB number, not USB letter - so USB 4.0 vs USB C)

If all you care about is charging you need to make sure the USB C cable you buy provides enough wattage. If it doesn’t, the device won’t charge or will charge very slowly.

To be safe look for USB C cables that are "USB-IF certified”. This is a new certification to assure people that the cables will provide power a given level. They should say what wattage they provide.

If you care about data transfer too - hooking up a disk, a SSD, or video display, then you need to make sure the cable supports the needed data speeds and protocols. That’s a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Finally don’t buy cheapo (no name) cables. You’ll be sorry.

Stick with: Amazon Basics, Belkin, Anker, Monoprice, or device manufacturers (HP, Dell, Apple, etc.)

They highlight USB-C because it is much better at transferring power. The plug into the iPad is still a lightning cable.

Sorry, not true.

The original iPads used lighting cables, but no shipping iPad still uses it.

All Apple iPads now use USB C connectors.

Apple does use USB-C extensively. Both my iPads use USB-C. And my laptops.

We like the Apple cables just fine.

We’ve also used Anker cables.

Amazon has their own brand and they’re OK, but sometimes don’t last.

Last edited:
I disagree with the original premise that the stock Apple cords are flimsy. Every phone or iPad I have ever had, the cords lasted as long as I owned the device. I usually upgrade every 3 years or so, sell the old one on eBay, rinse and repeat.

You might also check the power output of the wall wart you're using to charge it. iPads need more than iPhones in general, so look at the specs.

The wall transformer I’m using works fine for my ipad(which is an older model) and was supplied with my iPad.

“While USB-A could only support up to 2.5 watts and 5 volts, USB-C now supports 100 watts and 20 volts easily enough for larger devices. The practical benefits of this include pass-through charging; effectively a USB hub that powers laptops, and also charges other devices simultaneously.”

The new 5th gen iPad Air that we bought is NOT Lightning….it is USB C

I disagree with the original premise that the stock Apple cords are flimsy. Every phone or iPad I have ever had, the cords lasted as long as I owned the device. I usually upgrade every 3 years or so, sell the old one on eBay, rinse and repeat.

YMMV, but every Apple supplied cord we’ve had has failed miserably by fraying and breaking near the end within 6 months.

We keep our devices a long time….still have iPhone 8….the cords supplied with those we bought around Black Friday didn’t last until May.

Last edited:
Thanks to several of you for good info and trying to help, but as you can see there is a LOT of misinformation. I’ll update once we find something that works.

YMMV, but every Apple supplied cord we’ve had has failed miserably by fraying and breaking near the end within 6 months.

We keep our devices a long time….still have iPhone 8….the cords supplied with those we bought around Black Friday didn’t last until May.

Sounds like you're unusually tough on the cables; I've almost never had an Apple cable fail. There are braided cables available which are much more robust, so you probably ought to look for one.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charging-MacBook-Galaxy-Charger/dp/B088NRLMPV/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=braided+usb+c+cable&qid=1666274717&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjMzIiwicXNhIjoiNC45OCIsInFzcCI6IjQuNzUifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-3

What's happening is that the cable + adapter combination is not delivering the power Apple has spec'd for the device. Instead of slow-charging (like my non-apple devices do) it 's just a no-go for you.

The descriptions online can be wrong when you're buying cables. Better accessory sellers have accuracy in the descriptions. Also check the review comments.

We’ve had a large number of Apple devices an used their cables and this has not been our experience - no fraying, no breaking near the end. Do you pull on the cable or pull on the connected when you disconnect the cable?

Sounds like you're unusually tough on the cables; I've almost never had an Apple cable fail. There are braided cables available which are much more robust, so you probably ought to look for one.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charging-MacBook-Galaxy-Charger/dp/B088NRLMPV/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=braided+usb+c+cable&qid=1666274717&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjMzIiwicXNhIjoiNC45OCIsInFzcCI6IjQuNzUifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-3

My wife is an Android user and her charger cord was cracked where it entered the plug. Small piece of electrical tape solved the issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom