VHS-to-Digital Conversion

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I think I’ve seen threads on this topic before but usually on digitizing audio (LPs, cassettes, etc).

I have a number of old VHS tapes that I’ve carted around with me and wanted to convert to digital format but didn’t know how. I’d also carted my old VCR along with the tapes.

I’d had a device on my Amazon shopping list for a while but never bought it. I finally did and tried it out this weekend. The results were excellent and the box is super easy to use. What it produces are videos in MP4 format (I’ve added these to my MacOS library).

Two thumbs up from me for this simple solution!

ClearClick Video to Digital... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V9JNRZY

I think I’ve seen threads on this topic before but usually on digitizing audio (LPs, cassettes, etc).

I have a number of old VHS tapes that I’ve carted around with me and wanted to convert to digital format but didn’t know how. I’d also carted my old VCR along with the tapes.

I’d had a device on my Amazon shopping list for a while but never bought it. I finally did and tried it out this weekend. The results were excellent and the box is super easy to use. What it produces are videos in MP4 format (I’ve added these to my MacOS library).

Two thumbs up from me for this simple solution!

ClearClick Video to Digital... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V9JNRZY

I have the same device but wasn't happy with the results. The picture quality of the MP4 files seemed too dark and washed out for me.

I ended up finding another solution that created better quality output. Though was not as easy as the click and record use of the ClearClick video.

Glad it worked out for you!

It looks like any video player with RCA outputs can be plugged into this device and it will convert the source material to .mp4 format video files in 480p resolution.

This means that not only may VHS tapes be converted but also camcorder tapes, DVDs, Betamax tapes, etc.

These .mp4 files are saved onto a portable USB hard drive, or a USB thumb drive. You may then plug the USB drive into your TV and view the content.

There is a small LCD screen on the device so you can monitor the progress of the conversion. No need to hook up a TV or computer.

Looks like a slick device.

I have the same device but wasn't happy with the results. The picture quality of the MP4 files seemed too dark and washed out for me.

I ended up finding another solution that created better quality output. Though was not as easy as the click and record use of the ClearClick video.

Glad it worked out for you!

They mentioned something about the quality like you describe on their Amazon page and claim to have fixed it in their 2.0 product (which is what I have).

I’m totally satisfied with my results. I was skeptical and tried it first on a commercial tape. I was scared it would eat an old tape or something but realized that wouldn’t happen because the only thing that touches the tape is your VCR.

I’d made sure to clean the VCR heads too before I boxed things up before moving here. And played and retensioned the tapes before boxing them (remember those “Be Kind, Rewind!” stickers at Blockbuster??).

[ADDED] The VHS tapes were also always stored in indoor, air-conditioned, humidity-controlled locations. I think that helped.

Last edited:
My local library has a Library of Things and lends out the Elgato VHS to digital converter.

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Video...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I borrowed it for a few weeks. It was very easy to use, worked very well and was FREE. I didn't finish all of our VHS tapes so I will borrow it again.

The quality if the result mainly comes from the quality of the VHS tape. Some of ours had deteriorated badly.

We had a lot of home movies on vhs that DW converted. No doubt that the quality is suffering, but at least they’re in a format that can be preserved from here on out. Those tapes don’t hold up well, not to mention that getting a vhs player is next to impossible these days. I had to abscond one from my dad. He had one in a guest room that hardly ever got used.

We had a lot of home movies on vhs that DW converted. No doubt that the quality is suffering, but at least they’re in a format that can be preserved from here on out. Those tapes don’t hold up well, not to mention that getting a vhs player is next to impossible these days. I had to abscond one from my dad. He had one in a guest room that hardly ever got used.

I agree. MP4 is also a pretty compressed format that makes it easy to share. I have USB sticks that should make it easy to copy and mail to friends and family. Example: one home video that I haven’t yet converted was made with a camcorder by a sibling and is an interview with our dad (now passed away) about family and his own childhood memories. My family will be thrilled to just receive it and won’t be picky at all about quality!

They mentioned something about the quality like you describe on their Amazon page and claim to have fixed it in their 2.0 product (which is what I have).

I’m totally satisfied with my results. I was skeptical and tried it first on a commercial tape. I was scared it would eat an old tape or something but realized that wouldn’t happen because the only thing that touches the tape is your VCR.

I’d made sure to clean the VCR heads too before I boxed things up before moving here. And played and retensioned the tapes before boxing them (remember those “Be Kind, Rewind!” stickers at Blockbuster??).

[ADDED] The VHS tapes were also always stored in indoor, air-conditioned, humidity-controlled locations. I think that helped.

Glad that it worked out for you. I have the 2nd generation too. Maybe there are different versions of same model. Not sure.

I still kept my old one. Not to convert but to use the LCD as a small monitor should I need to convert using my other set up.

Glad that it worked out for you. I have the 2nd generation too. Maybe there are different versions of same model. Not sure.

I still kept my old one. Not to convert but to use the LCD as a small monitor should I need to convert using my other set up.

That’s too bad. I wonder what’s causing the problem?

This is yet another learning experience for me. I’m now using the “automatic shutoff” feature, set to stop recording at two hours, the standard length for all tapes I have. Once converted they can be trimmed/cut down to size if needed.

The benefit is that I can leave it unattended and do other stuff while the session proceeds.

That’s too bad. I wonder what’s causing the problem?

This is yet another learning experience for me. I’m now using the “automatic shutoff” feature, set to stop recording at two hours, the standard length for all tapes I have. Once converted they can be trimmed/cut down to size if needed.

The benefit is that I can leave it unattended and do other stuff while the session proceeds.

Did you compare the before vs after of the videos? If so, how did they compare?

When I used that device, the original was for sure of better quality.

Like you said, perhaps they put a fix since when I got mine.

Did you compare the before vs after of the videos? If so, how did they compare?

I don’t have the VCR connected to a TV at my home. I’d like to keep it that way.

I played the converted file off the USB stick plugged in to my TV and also my iMac. They looked fine, definitely not dark.

I don’t have the VCR connected to a TV at my home. I’d like to keep it that way.

I played the converted file off the USB stick plugged in to my TV and also my iMac. They looked fine, definitely not dark.

Okay. If I understand correctly, you didn't do a compared but used the lcd screen of the device to see what VHS got transferred to MP4.

As long as you are happy with the outcome, that's all that matters :).

Okay. If I understand correctly, you didn't do a compared but used the lcd screen of the device to see what VHS got transferred to MP4.

As long as you are happy with the outcome, that's all that matters :).

Not quite. I watched the result
on a TV playing from the USB stick. The screen on the device is convenient.

Another of my goals was to see if I could play the videos off my Apple Music library to my TV using Home Sharing. That was the trickiest part of the process but it works - yay!

Not quite. I watched the result
on a TV playing from the USB stick. The screen on the device is convenient.

Another of my goals was to see if I could play the videos off my Apple Music library to my TV using Home Sharing. That was the trickiest part of the process but it works - yay!

Good thing you played from the USB stick. When I used the device, the lcd screen looked good, but the MP4 was like I said, too dark and washed out.

Good thing you played from the USB stick. When I used the device, the lcd screen looked good, but the MP4 was like I said, too dark and washed out.

Well, I’ll keep the original source tapes in any case.

I have a lot of stuff taped in the pre-streaming days, movies and such. They’re not acceptable for recycling here, so in the trash they’ll go. It’s nice to remove unused clutter.

Well, I’ll keep the original source tapes in any case.

I have a lot of stuff taped in the pre-streaming days, movies and such. They’re not acceptable for recycling here, so in the trash they’ll go. It’s nice to remove unused clutter.

Definitely keep the original tapes.

I kept my original vhs tapes also.

I also digitized old cassettes into mp3 files. I did part with the old cassettes. Wasn't easy, but I feel good about the mp3s.

...but at least they’re in a format that can be preserved from here on out....

that's what everyone thought with 8mm, betamax, VHS, etc. I'm confident that today's "mp3/4" versions (as well as today's version of computers) will be obsolete one day. I have no idea what will be next but I'm confident our children will be converting our mp3/4's to something else down the road.

that's what everyone thought with 8mm, betamax, VHS, etc. I'm confident that today's "mp3/4" versions (as well as today's version of computers) will be obsolete one day. I have no idea what will be next but I'm confident our children will be converting our mp3/4's to something else down the road.

You’re probably right about future conversions but hopefully digital formats will be more long-lasting and not subject to deterioration of the physical media (tape).

I used a slightly different process. but then I like to tinker. I have a USB Video capture device that connects to anything with RCA or S-video outputs. With the software provided I was able to capture and save my VHS and HI-8 videos. I just did a batch a few months ago, fortunately the 30+ year old tapes played fine (stored vertically in a cool, dry place).

Once they are digital it is much easier than between physical media. For example, the open source program FFmpeg provides a large library to convert between any digital formats; as new ones come out over the years additional libraries to support them have been added. Shotcut is another open source program that I use to edit videos and it can do the same. Of course there any many commercial programs as well, but I am still frugal in this area :).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
...but at least they’re in a format that can be preserved from here on out....

Once they are digital it is much easier than between physical media. For example, the open source program FFmpeg provides a large library to convert between any digital formats; as new ones come out over the years additional libraries to support them have been added. Shotcut, is another open source program that I use to edit videos and it can do the same. Of course there any many commercial programs as well, but I am still frugal in this area :).

Right - the important thing is, that once in a digital format, they can be copied to a new format w/o any loss in quality (unless that is chosen to reduce file size). But I suspect loss-less options will be around 'forever', considering storage just gets cheaper and cheaper.

You just need to convert while there is still support for the old formats, but I doubt that will ever be a problem for common formats.

For the old analog formats, every copy to a new format would reduce quality - no way around that in the analog world.

-ERD50

Many years ago we bought an VCR with a DVD recorder.. It worked great for both recording old tapes, and also movies from Satalite.

I’ve been using QuickTime (pre-installed on the iMac) to edit the mp4 files, mostly cropping/trimming. It’s another learning step for me as my only prior experience with QuickTime was on Windows.

I threw out all my VHS tapes many years ago. I used a board that fit in my PC and had svideo and RCA inputs. What I came to realize was the nobody cares about these videos (and scanned pictures and slides); nobody is going to look at them. I happened to end-up with my Dad's 8mm film, slides, etc, plus all of my stuff. Everything got digitized, saved to DVD and handed out to the sibs, and kids. Crickets. Nobody cared to watch. This might be a family culture thing, though.

I'm glad I did it, though. It just wouldn't sit right to just toss the media. I think I spent too much effort on how good the quality of the copy was; the older the media, the worse the quality anyway. You're 99% of the way there just doing the digital capture.

Back
Top Bottom