Want an OTA DVR that does not require Internet

The skip function is in whatever you use to playback. I use VLC and I have 4 different skips defined (for instance, I defined control-right and control-left to skip 15 seconds, but I have larger and smaller skips defined).

I have an old free version of VLC Player. Need it when Quicktime Player won't work. Does the paid version have lots of features? I hate the way every time I drop a video into it, it sticks it into a permanent "playlist" and I can't figure out how to remove it. Or stop it from doing it.

I use my TV to playback. Don't desire the DVR to be connected to my computer at all. If I want to permanently save something I will carry the hard drive over to my computer & plug it in & copy the file.

Some people say they FF commercials - that takes a lot of attention & effort & always overshooting & reversing. Commercials are in 30 second blocks. I know that THIS show has 6 minutes in the second commercial break. So I hit the key 6 times and zone out for ten seconds while it gets there.

Been using a $30 "Homewerx" DVR that does what I want except the user interface just sucks donkey dingdongs. Keys have different functions depending on what menu item you are in, and meaningless words or abbreviations on the key itself. Have to drill down thru 3 menus to get to common functions like setting a recording time, or getting to the directory of recorded items. The FF and REV functions in the DVR seem very slow to respond to the key, so difficult to stop when the commercial is over.

Been using a $30 "Homewerx" DVR that does what I want except the user interface just sucks donkey dingdongs. Keys have different functions depending on what menu item you are in, and meaningless words or abbreviations on the key itself. Have to drill down thru 3 menus to get to common functions like setting a recording time, or getting to the directory of recorded items. The FF and REV functions in the DVR seem very slow to respond to the key, so difficult to stop when the commercial is over.
My "Homewerx" is starting to fail, the screen is going all weird, I DO NOT recommend this product.

For goodness sakes just go buy a used Tivo w/ lifetime off eBay for an OTA DVR.

Or you might get one cheaper from the for-sale sub-forum on tivocommunity.com

In about 2009 I bought a Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 capture device. It takes a component output (red, green, and blue) and optical output and converts it into a video file. The software has always been super glitchy and Hauppauge can never get things right on the software side. Recently they have some new software that seems to work if you manually start and stop recording, but timing shows remains a problem.

I have a system for using the Homewerx.
1) Copy TV episode description from TitanTV website
2) Paste into a text file, which constitutes an index of what I have on the HD
3) add a note specifying the network, date, start time, and also total runtime

4) when I schedule a recording, I alter the start time to one minute earlier, because the DVR takes about 20 seconds to actually start recording (even if I leave the unit powered on).

5) to playback, I use (3) above to locate the episode on the HD, since the filename is network, date, start time.

Back
Top Bottom