We are OLED Converts.... Are You!

I am dithering. In the before times (aka when we finished our home remodel in January) we were going to buy a 75" TV for our living room. The OLEDs were really expensive for that size and so I was leaning toward a non-OLED with a thought to get that for our next TV. Maybe even get a cheaper 75" that when OLED prices came down I would be comfortable just putting in our bedroom and getting the new OLED.

Well...events have transpired. Right now, I couldn't really wall mount a TV. It is not something we can do. Best Buy (who we were going to use for mounting) isn't doing them. Even if I could find someone, I don't want anyone in my house.

When we get to the after times (being in the during times now), then I guess I will look at prices and decide. Maybe by then the OLED TVs will be under where they are now.....

I was in Selfridges in London last year as saw the 77-inch Signature series LG wallpaper TV. Man it is gorgeous and like 3 mm thick right on the wall. Of course no ability to pivot so only for certain setups but gorgeous!! It's what I imagined when I read Fahrenheit 451 40 years ago. You would never know you weren't looking out a window. And there's an 88" version now.

Yes, get the OLED for twice the price

I’ve started looking for a 65 inch set for the bedroom. The OLEDs are still close to $2K at Costco while the Samsung QLEDs are $1,000 and Samsung LEDs are down to around $500.

Is the picture quality of an OLED screen so much better than QLED to justify paying twice the price?

It depends on the models you are comparing. Here is a reviewer's opinion of 2 top of the line models in 2019. Skip to the 7 minute mark of the video to get to the picture comparison.

I have a couple OLEDs and switch over to them 4+ years ago.

Not one of his better bits IMHO. And the google-phonic can't hold a candle to OLED. ;)

The only marginally annoying thing I notice is that the screen is a lot more reflective that my older TV. When walking about one can see window and light reflections, especially on black backgrounds and when the TV is off. However, saying that, when sitting in the viewing area and watching the TV, it is not noticeable.

Not one of his better bits IMHO. And the google-phonic can't hold a candle to OLED. ;)

Perhaps, but on point.

I looked at the OLED at Costco. At first I was blown away, loved it and went back several days in a row, even several times a day to admire it. Especially the variable refresh rate.

But after a while it did not seem like it refreshed frequently or variably enough. And the colors did not seem quite as crisp and vivid as I remembered.

Now I realize it just looks like crap and I need something better.

Perhaps, but on point.

I looked at the OLED at Costco. At first I was blown away, loved it and went back several days in a row, even several times a day to admire it. Especially the variable refresh rate.

But after a while it did not seem like it refreshed frequently or variably enough. And the colors did not seem quite as crisp and vivid as I remembered.

Now I realize it just looks like crap and I need something better.
Well Costco might not be exactly 'ideal' viewing conditions! And screens not optimized in any way. I agree with Shockwaverider on reflections in bright windowed rooms or with a poorly placed lamp but not greatly different from LEDs in my experience. They still pop for me, hence the second set. Unless price constrained, I would never go back to LED or recommend one over an OLED but to each their own. No visitors ever commented on the previous LED TVs in exactly the same set up - far from true for the OLEDs.

Well Costco might not be exactly 'ideal' viewing conditions! And screens not optimized in any way. I agree with Shockwaverider on reflections in bright windowed rooms or with a poorly placed lamp but not greatly different from LEDs in my experience. They still pop for me, hence the second set. Unless price constrained, I would never go back to LED or recommend one over an OLED but to each their own. No visitors ever commented on the previous LED TVs in exactly the same set up - far from true for the OLEDs.

Maybe it will look better when paired with one of my surround sound systems...

The TV looks great, but I forbid anyone from mounting a TV high over a fireplace. Its not the right angle for your neck. Ouch!

It depends on the models you are comparing. Here is a reviewer's opinion of 2 top of the line models in 2019. Skip to the 7 minute mark of the video to get to the picture comparison.

Interesting video, I watched the whole thing. Thanks for sharing. They are comparing the high end Samsung unit, which costs about the same as the OLED. But I would be curious to get people’s thoughts on how a $1,000 Samsung QLED compares in real world use to to a $2,000 LG OLED.

I’m guessing that if placed side by side you would notice a difference. But in real world use is it noticeable enough to justify twice the price to the average consumer?

The TV looks great, but I forbid anyone from mounting a TV high over a fireplace. Its not the right angle for your neck. Ouch!

Unless you are slouches like us :D. I am an Engineer remember. Our viewing angles and listening angles have all been calculated. I actually ran plumb lines from the speakers (and TV center), then adjusted their placement so that the person in the center of the couch (Me :)), had exactly all of them pointing directly at head height (mine when in comfy TV viewing mode). The TV angle has also been adjusted for my head height in slouch position. The speakers are all adjustable form an angle perspective. And, I do not care about anyone else.. LOL. We watch a lot of TV content and never have we had any neck strain issues.

Like you our friends also complained about the position, we hold (held) a lot of movie nights at our place and they are now believers.

Admittedly, I had to lower the Mantle 3.5" - 4" for the 65" TV.

Unless you are slouches like us :D. I am an Engineer remember. Our viewing angles and listening angles have all been calculated. I actually ran plumb lines from the speakers (and TV center), then adjusted their placement so that the person in the center of the couch (Me :)), had exactly all of them pointing directly at head height (mine when in comfy TV viewing mode). The TV angle has also been adjusted for my head height in slouch position. The speakers are all adjustable form an angle perspective. And, I do not care about anyone else.. LOL. We watch a lot of TV content and never have we had any neck strain issues.

Like you our friends also complained about the position, we hold (held) a lot of movie nights at our place and they are now believers.

Admittedly, I had to lower the Mantle 3.5" - 4" for the 65" TV.
If it works for you, that's all that matters.

My FIL has his mounted over the fireplace, I am not a slouchier and I can't watch for more than a little bit before I get a sore neck.

We have ours mounted just a few feet off the floor in a cabinet. Its almost directly at eye level when sitting straight.

In our new house we are mounting it off to the side of the fireplace, just a few feet off the floor.

We have ours mounted just a few feet off the floor in a cabinet. Its almost directly at eye level when sitting straight.

In our new house we are mounting it off to the side of the fireplace, just a few feet off the floor.

To each his own. I could not deal with that, we both wear glasses and I find I am looking at those with a really crooked neck, in the opposite direction that hurts you.

Think laying in bed, a low TV would not work. Our Bedroom TV is on a Chest of Drawers to raise it up and it is still uncomfortable unless your are sitting up. I wanted it on the ceiling, but DW would not have that at all. LOL.

To each his own. I could not deal with that, we both wear glasses and I find I am looking at those with a really crooked neck, in the opposite direction that hurts you.

Think laying in bed, a low TV would not work. Our Bedroom TV is on a Chest of Drawers to raise it up and it is still uncomfortable unless your are sitting up. I wanted it on the ceiling, but DW would not have that at all. LOL.

Having a TV in the bedroom is also a no no in our house.

If one of us wants to watch something, we use the cable app on our iPad.

Same for the bath. We used to have one mounted on the wall there, now, its on the iPad.

We went the Samsung Q-LED route instead. 75 inches of incredible picture quality! Although I would have been very happy with an LG OLED also. My wife is convinced there are no other TV brands than Samsung after our first one we purchased a few years back. That one is now the basement TV. The new one seems to have some intermittent audio sync issues that I have not yet quite figured out. But very happy with it.

The TV is fantastic!

Its weird. I am a techie, but I just have only a few times purchased the latest and greatest (computer, TV, or phone wise)....I guess I am just too frugal to splurge like that knowing in 2 years the same thing is 1/2 price.

My latest....macbook air 2020 (not the pro, and did not upgrade much), iPhone 11 (not the pro), RokuTV 55" for $279..... I just can't bring myself to buy the best!

Thinking about this, I understand why economists are so afraid of deflation! If everything was going down in price too many people like me would always wait!

Maybe I should read the blow that dough thread more....

ShokWaveRider,

Looks great. Do you have a center channel speaker above the set, and left and right book shelf speakers, and is that a subwoofer way up high on the right?

ShokWaveRider,

Looks great. Do you have a center channel speaker above the set, and left and right book shelf speakers, and is that a subwoofer way up high on the right?

Yeah, I know the sub should be on the floor but there is no room, so I compromised. Sometimes the bass vibrates DW's ornaments so she has to rearrange them.. :)

All the speakers are directional, so they can be aligned with a single spot. In the words of Sheldon, "My Spot" no one sits in my spot, except me of course..

OK. You guys and gals made me look. I'm still sporting a Hitachi rear projection 48" TV that I paid used for $180 over 10 years ago. Maybe at some point I'll "blow that dough"! I spend more time on my computer than I do in front of the TV. :D

Back
Top Bottom