Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
This is an old one, but Nurse Jackie is funny, serious and smart. I like seeing the inside world of a hospital. It feels pretty honest. I'm glad they keep old series for those of us who missed it the first time.
Having spent an almost 40 year career working in a large, community hospital about the only honest part of shows like nurse Jackie would be the interpersonal relationship drama. As a former colleague of mine once stated, "hospitals are like high schools - only with lab coats".

Some of the drug addiction that the show depicts is accurate, however, with Pyxis systems it is very difficult to steal meds and get away with it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Having spent an almost 40 year career working in a large, community hospital about the only honest part of shows like nurse Jackie would be the interpersonal relationship drama. As a former colleague of mine once stated, "hospitals are like high schools - only with lab coats".

Some of the drug addiction that the show depicts is accurate, however, with Pyxis systems it is very difficult to steal meds and get away with it.
I'm in 3rd episode and Jackie is scared they are going to Pyxis system. Are the docs really that egocentric behind the scenes? I always wonder what they talk about behind closed doors. I've heard surgeons listen to rock and roll during surgery or small talk all the way through.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #183
Moderator Emeritus

We just watched season 1 of Unforgotten (I think it was on PBS), with Nicola Walker (who must have a tremendous agent, she is in so many shows). Six episodes following a single case, lots of actors. Really good imo.

We got it from our library and have a hold on season 2 when it comes in.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #184

Quote:
Are the docs really that egocentric behind the scenes?
Yes, too many docs are egocentric. And unfortunately, among those with outsized egos, their behavior is not always limited to "behind the scenes".
Old 06-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #185

We loved Unforgotten on PBS and have been watching No Offence, a police show on Acorn. It’s great, but beware the lady boss can be a bit offensive in a Melissa McCarthy kind of way.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #186

It's not "new" but it was to me: Last Tango in Halifax on Netflix. Very poignant British rom-com about two families coming together, with a good bit of laughter and some tearful moments thrown in. There weren't many episodes, so it wasn't a huge commitment of time, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for just about anything BBC.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
What new series are you watching?
Old 06-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #187
Recycles dryer sheets

What new series are you watching?

Also not new, but DW and I are watching Longmire, several episodes at a time. Some of the storylines may stretch the credulity envelope, but the casting is spot-on.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #188
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We just watched season 1 of Unforgotten (I think it was on PBS), with Nicola Walker (who must have a tremendous agent, she is in so many shows). Six episodes following a single case, lots of actors. Really good imo.

We got it from our library and have a hold on season 2 when it comes in.

She is a great actress and I loved Unforgotten too. If you liked Unforgotten, you would enjoy River. She was superb in it too.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #189
Recycles dryer sheets

It's not super recent but we have been watching Poldark and we've loved it! We had been watching it on Netflix (it's DVD only) but then realized we could stream it for free from our Amazon Prime account. I highly recommend it!
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #190

Marcella, Netflix, if you like detective, murder mysteries. British and well done. Many twists while the detective has some real weaknesses. I'm on Season 1.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Marcella, Netflix, if you like detective, murder mysteries. British and well done. Many twists while the detective has some real weaknesses. I'm on Season 1.

We watched Season 1 and it was good enough to continue with Season 2. However, the opener in Season 2 a kid being tortured and a burned body of what appeared to be a young person. That's just too much to take for us for "entertainment".
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:23 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I noticed that Season 2 was out, so I started to watch it and realized that I couldn't remember the storyline from Season 1 since I watched it so long ago. Now, I am re-watching Season 1 again before I go onto Season 2. My mom used to come and visit me every year and she would read the same novels over and over every year, and I now know why. I remembered a lot of parts of Season 1, but I couldn't remember who the killer was, and I am actually enjoying watching it for the 2nd time.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Goliath is supposed to start its 2nd season on Prime soon.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:50 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I noticed that Season 2 was out, so I started to watch it and realized that I couldn't remember the storyline from Season 1 since I watched it so long ago. Now, I am re-watching Season 1 again before I go onto Season 2. My mom used to come and visit me every year and she would read the same novels over and over every year, and I now know why. I remembered a lot of parts of Season 1, but I couldn't remember who the killer was, and I am actually enjoying watching it for the 2nd time.
Many of us can live without season 3 of any show, for this reason!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #195

When does Homeland get bad? I’m in season 3. First two seasons were very good I thought. But I’ve heard at some point it gets stuck on boring story lines.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
When does Homeland get bad? I’m in season 3. First two seasons were very good I thought. But I’ve heard at some point it gets stuck on boring story lines.
It becomes 24-ish in later season.

Plausibility is thrown out.

One could also argue that it got derailed by the Carrie-Brody romance.

Brody was originally not suppose to survive past season 1. That may have been how the Israeli original did it.

But the CBS and Showtime executives thought the two leads had chemistry and that is what drew viewers to the show.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
We watched Season 1 and it was good enough to continue with Season 2. However, the opener in Season 2 a kid being tortured and a burned body of what appeared to be a young person. That's just too much to take for us for "entertainment".
Thank you for that. I actually quit watching after you said that. It got creepy for me.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Babylon Berlin on Netflix streaming. Berlin in the late 1920's and the time between the world wars. Covers things like the Soviet activities in Germany. I'm at episode 3 now.

Why did they go from subtitles to dubbed in the middle of the series. Kind of ruined it for us. Voices used in voiceovers are awful
Old 06-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #199

RE: Babylon Berlin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Why did they go from subtitles to dubbed in the middle of the series. Kind of ruined it for us. Voices used in voiceovers are awful
It completely ruined it for us and we stopped watching.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

The first episode had dubbing in it as I recall. I personally don't like subtitles as I cannot then focus on the graphics and facial expressions.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote