What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

On Amc.....Better Call Saul. Not on at the moment. New season starts in the summer. I've always liked Blue Bloods on CBS. Lots of good stuff on Netflix and Prime.

If you have been out for 10 years....Breaking Bad. AMC is doing a 10th year anniversary marathon. Very very good show

Netflix Peaky Blinders. 1800's Britain gang from Birgingham. Have no idea if it is factual. But pretty good show. Although the last season wrap up seems like they may have jumped the shark a bit

Netflix Longmire. Friend of ours is one of the leading roles (Katee Sackhoff) I was a half dozen shows in before it clicked for me. But I enjoy Westerns.

Love Peaky Blinders. BBC has so many great series, especially murder mysteries. The character development is always great. If you're into "weird" Hand of God gets you there. Of course, Stranger Things is awesome. Best comedy ever is The Amazing Mrs Maisel. Won big in Golden Globes.

I get crap for not watching Game of Thrones, Dexter, House of Cards, Stranger Things, The Walking Dead.

I liked Supernatural, True Blood, Big Brother, Big Bang Theory, most of the PBS Frontline Reports, and for some odd reason Leah Remini's Church of Scientology show...When we had free cable for a while we watched that Intervention on A&E occasionally to remind ourselves it isn't THAT bad.

I got hooked on Pickers, Ice Road Truckers, Duck Dynasty and one of my more favorites Ricks Restoration. That's the low-grade crack I watch. My wife likes those Bravo desperate housewives.

A lot of great suggestions here.

One of my all time favorites I don't see mentioned - Boardwalk Empire. LOVED it!

Star Trek Discovery (oh man, last night's episode!)
Brokenwood Mysteries on Acorn
Vera on Acorn
Goerge Gently on Acorn
Travelers on Netflix

OP here,

I did watch an episode of Justified. I admit it was good and will be watching it again. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Keep them coming. I am sure I am not the only one benefiting from all the suggestions.

One of the shows I want to check out is the Good place with Ted Danson that was mentioned earlier. I loved him in Becker, so funny, so I want to see what else he has done.

Last edited:
I did watch an episode of Justified. I admit it was good and will be watching it again.

It gets MUCH better about mid-way through the first season, but worth watching the early ones anyway for the character/plot development.

Seal Team, Hawaii 5 O, SWAT

Available via Amazon Prime:

Britannia - binged over the weekend as I could not stop watching Plenty of unpredictable outcomes in the sub-plots. If you like Vikings or Game of Thrones, you'll enjoy this series. Fair amount of spectacular scenery footage too.

Detectorists - story of two blokes and their metal detector escapades. Funny funny show!

Victoria - +1 This was surprisingly good but maybe because I had low expectations. I thought the actress that plays Victoria is very good.

Justified - Probably the only series that I have streamed multiple times. I never get tired of the characters. And I, too, thought it got better with each new season.

Available via Amazon Prime:

Britannia - binged over the weekend as I could not stop watching Plenty of unpredictable outcomes in the sub-plots. If you like Vikings or Game of Thrones, you'll enjoy this series. Fair amount of spectacular scenery footage too.

Detectorists - story of two blokes and their metal detector escapades. Funny funny show!

Victoria - +1 This was surprisingly good but maybe because I had low expectations. I thought the actress that plays Victoria is very good.

Justified - Probably the only series that I have streamed multiple times. I never get tired of the characters. And I, too, thought it got better with each new season.

For those with Acorn, there is now a third season of Detectorists airing.

A big thank you to those that are including what streaming service these shows are on.

Wow, I got to try Justified. So many good reviews here, and I never even heard of the show until this thread.

Last edited:
OTA - not all are new, but some may be to the OP:

The Good Doctor

Better Late Than Never (Henry Winkler, William Shatner, Terry Bradshaw, and George Foreman go traveling around the world having funny & interesting adventures)

Superior Donuts

Lethal Weapon

The Last Man on Earth

Riverdale

The X-Files

Lucifer

Life in Pieces

Hulu - Marvel's Runaways

I like Madame Secretary on CBS Sunday nights. If you liked West Wing, you will like Madame Secretary.

A funny British comedy is Doc Martin. Use to be on BBC America but I think the most recent season was on Acorn but I borrowed the free CD at the public library.

I really enjoy all the PBS Masterpiece Theater programs--especially Victoria, Poldard and Call the Midwife. Call the Midwife will start back up soon. You wouldn't think that a story about British midwives set in the 50s in Britain would be good but it is--my husband and I really enjoy it although there are some very realistic baby birthing scenes.

Lucifer (based on the Neil Gaiman character from the Sandman comics) is light and fun - it's basically Castle. Self-absorbed character helps pretty police detective solve crimes.

Longmire was fantastic. Great casting, and they do a good job of making New Mexico look like Wyoming.

We just completed 11 seasons of Frasier - it holds up surprisingly well. Only a couple of clunkers in the whole series. (We were at the HD simulcast of the Met's performance of Tosca last Saturday, and I immediately recognized "Vissi d'arte" as Niles' favorite aria.)

Nordic Noir is fun. The best one is Trapped (Icelandic), followed by Shetland (Scots). Fortitude (also shot in Iceland) is rather grisly.

The best SF out there right now is The Expanse (waiting for season 2 to drop onto Netflix), followed by Travelers (also on Netflix). Star Trek: Discovery is going in some interesting directions.

It truly is a golden age of television, but the downside is that if a show fails to grab or hold us, we'll abandon it without a second thought. The absolute worst thing I've seen recently was Tin Star on Amazon Prime. Gawdawful - great actors and great scenery crippled by a badly written, badly plotted script.

Surprised no one has mentioned The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon Prime). It just won 2 Golden Globes. First season is only 8 episodes but it is very enjoyable.

Nightcap just mentioned Travelers (Netflix). That's the current one we are doing and it's pretty good as well. 2 seasons are out - we are in middle of season 2.

OP here,

I did watch an episode of Justified.

Keep going! I was at home today (sick), and binge watched the rest of Season 2, and most of Season 3. It is getting so good! I agree that it's important to watch from the beginning so you can see how the characters are getting where they are later. Probably finish Season 3 now that I woke up. :)

Add: The humor is different, but just my kind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom