Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #1901
Recycles dryer sheets

Just started “The Queen’s Gambit” on Netflix, about an orphan who is a chess prodigy. The first episode was excellent, hoping that the rest are as good.
Zona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 06:12 AM   #1902
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Code 404. Great Comedic Twist on the Traditional British Procedural. Staring Stephen Graham and Daniel Mays.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:05 AM   #1903
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I decided to get into the Halloween spirit. The Haunting of Bly Manor suits me. It's not a "gotcha" scary series. It's more of a love story with ghosts of past, a gorgeous English Manor and believable characters. Well acted and good reviews. There are no shocks, just a relatable story. Well written.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #1904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Flesh and Blood on PBS has me on the hook.
Took me an episode or two to really get into it but the final scene (I saw it coming; DW was taken by surprise) was worth it.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #1905
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Midpack: We just finished watching Season 1 of Fargo on FX (on demand). Not sure what to think, though it was somewhat unpredictable which is always appealing to me, and unlike most programs IMO. There are 3 more seasons, #4 in progress. Not sure if we’ll keep watching or not. Evidently each season is essentially independent of another.

Try season two. My favorite plus a great cast: Brad Garrett (Everybody Loves Raymond). Kirsten Dunst, and Jesse Plemons (Breaking Bad). KC gang comes north.
Fargo is top notch, all seasons. I'm watching the current season now, again good stuff, with maybe the inclusion of Chris Rock as a mob boss.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #1906
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona View Post
Just started “The Queen’s Gambit” on Netflix, about an orphan who is a chess prodigy. The first episode was excellent, hoping that the rest are as good.
We watched Episode 5 last night and will watch the final two tonight. It is one of the better written and acted shows that I have seen in a long time.

It bogs down slightly in Episode 5 with some back-story and side issues -- that may prove relevant later but...

It is well worth the time spent watching it.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 07:19 AM   #1907
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Fargo is top notch, all seasons. I'm watching the current season now, again good stuff, with maybe the inclusion of Chris Rock as a mob boss.
+1.

Just finished Away on Netflix. Started out a little slow but finished well.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:33 AM   #1908

The Mandalorian season two just started on Disney+
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:10 PM   #1909
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
+1 Queens Gambit
+1 Away
+1 Ratched
+1 The Great Hack
+1 Devils
+1 NeXt
Old 10-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #1910
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
tonite we finished the first 3-seasons of Line of Duty on AMC. we enjoyed it immensely. S4 is avsilable free on either Netflix or Prime so we’ll start that. S5 and S6 are not free so we will have to wait until that changes.
I'm part way through Season 3 on Prime... excellent series.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:09 PM   #1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Glad to see some of my favorites on there--Call the Midwife is my all time favorite
Started on your rec and must say I really like it. It is different in a very good way.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:43 PM   #1912
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not sure how we missed Community, but. there are 6 seasons on Netflix. Each season has about 25 episodes that are about 20 minutes duration. We got hooked after a couple episodes. Funny and poignant at the same time, a light diversion. The characters will grow on you.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:07 PM   #1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm part way through Season 3 on Prime... excellent series.

Is this series a British crime drama? About corrupt cops among other things? I’m interested, and trying to make sure I’ve found the right show. There’s several called Line of Duty.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:16 PM   #1914
Recycles dryer sheets

After Queen’s Gambit anything else seems mediocre...
EA-Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:53 AM   #1915

Just started season 5 of Billions.

Disappointed! For so long that show was well written and tight. Now it's like a parody of itself with bad writing and even bad acting. Time to hanging up.

Meanwhile, loving Season 3 of Star Trek Discovery. Boldly taking that franchise in new directions without ever feeling like they're doing something just because they should.

In the aftermath of Chadwick Boseman passing away, I hope people will embrace Sonequa Martin-Green who plays the lead role as Michael Burnham. She's a fantastic black actress playing an awesome, powerful, uplifting character.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:32 AM   #1916
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona View Post
Just finished this series last night. Very good series.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:34 AM   #1917
Give me a forum ...

I want to watch The Queen's Gambit (I am learning to play chess) but I don't have a Netflix subscription. Any other way to watch Queen's Gambit? I guess I could sign up for a free trial of Netflix and binge watch it.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:09 AM   #1918

Quote:
I want to watch The Queen's Gambit (I am learning to play chess) but I don't have a Netflix subscription. Any other way to watch Queen's Gambit? I guess I could sign up for a free trial of Netflix and binge watch it.

If you don’t want to binge, just start a subscription and cancel after a month (or whenever you are finished). The streaming services make it easy to cancel / re-enroll. I just re-activated our Disney+ subscription to watch The Mandalorian. We will watch that and whatever else we find interesting for a couple of months, then cancel. By starting/stopping our streaming subscriptions we get the entertainment we want without out-of-control subscription fees.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #1919
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA-Sports View Post
After Queen’s Gambit anything else seems mediocre...
The one about chess?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:22 AM   #1920
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Queen's Gambit was incredible. You could finish the whole thing on a rainy Saturday. Definitely could finish two episodes each evening for 3 or 4 days.

If you have a friend on Netflix they can send you a referral code and they get a bonus of some kind.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote