What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

On a lighter note, recently watched a couple old episodes of the 'Addams Family' on Amazon Prime Video, actually pretty funny with Uncle Fester and the crew.

Add me to the others that recommend "What We do In The Shadows". A bit of offensive language (to some folks potentially) but a real hoot. Like "The Office", it breaks the 4th wall.

Watched the first episode of Yellowstone, we liked it.

Watched the first two seasons of Yellowstone -- that opening sequence (in season one) is the most stunning opening ever. We are waiting to record tomorrow's "Season Finally" and then binge watch. Great show, great scenery.

7th season of Endeavour is on PBS currently. You can still watch episodes 1,2 & 3 through the PBS roku app.

Probably missed it, but haven’t seen it mentioned. Fortitude on Amazon Prime. I thought the first season was good. Second season had more blood and gore. Was still okay, but not as good as season one. Stanley Tucci in the first season was a good character.

Rita has a new season out. If you have never watched Rita, you are missing out.

Probably missed it, but haven’t seen it mentioned. Fortitude on Amazon Prime. I thought the first season was good. Second season had more blood and gore. Was still okay, but not as good as season one. Stanley Tucci in the first season was a good character.

Great series! Season 3 even better.

Take a watch on Amazon. The series is called "The Worlds Toughest Race". Ive long been a fan of Survivor and the Amazing Race.....but this one is those on steroids! It is an eco-challenge over 11 days and appears to be 10 episodes. The teams are from all over the world and you see those elite teams (clearly the better racers) and those in their later years competing (those in their 60's). It is an inspiration to watch the sacrifice and passion for this team sport.
I'm exhausted just watching. IMO well worth the time.
What happened to Team Flying J, do you know? Did one of their team lose his leg? I could not believe that. Excellent series.

Bosch

Really enjoying The Good Fight, Bosch and All Rise. All LA based.
I've watched 7 of 10 of season 1 of Bosch. No spoilers, but want to make a comment about content and ask about future season content.

The whole of season one deals with a criminal who is a psycho. This is evident right away, so I could have done what I often do "Mad slasher, I'm not interested", and turn it off. But I was willing to put up with it for a while. I had no idea they would drag it out the entire season!

I got to thinking about the case, and realized that a traditional "Law and Order" would have done that case in an hour. Or maybe a two-parter. I'll admit to being mildly interested in the interplay between some of the characters, but I don't find anybody that's likable enough to root for. So dealing with disturbed whack jobs and a bunch of highly flawed "good guys" ain't my cup of tea.

My questions are... Do later seasons still follow the "mad slasher" script? Does it keep the plodding pace through actual case developments? If so, I'm not going for S2.

My questions are... Do later seasons still follow the "mad slasher" script? Does it keep the plodding pace through actual case developments? If so, I'm not going for S2.

I wouldn't call it 'mad slasher scripts' but each season does follow a different investigation to completion along with some carry over about specific events in Bosch's past. I like the series.

I wouldn't call it 'mad slasher scripts' but each season does follow a different investigation to completion along with some carry over about specific events in Bosch's past. I like the series.
Would you call season 1 a mad slasher script?

In my opinion, if you don’t like season 1, don’t see why you’d like the others any better. Personally I like Bosch. Don’t find it plodding or overly bloody. But all the seasons follow relatively similar paths.

To me a 'mad slasher script' is more like the Michael Myers character in the Halloween movies so to me it doesn't fall in that category. If you're looking for the 'Law and Order' style where each show is a complete story than you might want to move on.

Last edited:
'I May Destroy You' on HBO is one of the better new shows out there but it's quite intense and not for everyone - the intended audience is much younger. The main character is well written but not "likable" in a traditional sense of the word: she's talented writer with questionable work ethics, bigger than life sense of style and affinity for drugs, alcohol and casual sex. Which doesn't mean that she deserves what happens to her. The show is about the aftermath of sexual assault and is a pretty rough ride even though there's a lot of humor in it. If you're irritated by flawed millennials and politics of feminism this will not be for you but if you remember how tough it was sometimes to navigate your way through youth, you may enjoy it.

In my opinion, if you don’t like season 1, don’t see why you’d like the others any better. Personally I like Bosch. Don’t find it plodding or overly bloody. But all the seasons follow relatively similar paths.
Thanks. I think I'll pass then, presuming the main perps of S02, S03, and S04 are highly disturbed individuals, as was the main perp of S01.

The term "mad slasher" isn't precisely accurate, but it's what we call it in our house when the story lines go after a "sick-o that kills people". I don't have an aversion to stories that span the whole season, provided things keep happening. The problem I have is that I find the pursuit of sicko's uninteresting. Writers get a "free pass" to have the perp do anything, and explain it away ... why did he do that... it makes no sense ... a normal person wouldn't do that ... oh wait a minute, he's not normal. So, yeah, Law and Order (original) fine, but SVU, not fine cuz the perps are typically skickos that don't need 'traditional' motivation.

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I'll pass then, presuming the main perps of S02, S03, and S04 are highly disturbed individuals, as was the main perp of S01.
Season 2 is quite different from Season 1. As Vanity Fair puts it:
Season 2 is not only superior to Season 1 (a serial-killer story line that got tangled up in its own stomach knots), it’s everything that True Detective Season 2 should have been had it not succumbed to sadistic, self-pitying, mood-mongering, garbage-barge bloat.
At 10 episodes, Bosch Season 2 is long but lean, a neo-classical procedural that maintains a close shave. Everything about it is old school with a modern shine.

One day at a time - netflix redo of the 70's sitcom. Surprisingly funny although the first episode was a bit slow. Rita Moreno shines as the live in Cuban grandmother.

I've watched 7 of 10 of season 1 of Bosch. No spoilers, but want to make a comment about content and ask about future season content.

The whole of season one deals with a criminal who is a psycho. This is evident right away, so I could have done what I often do "Mad slasher, I'm not interested", and turn it off. But I was willing to put up with it for a while. I had no idea they would drag it out the entire season!

I got to thinking about the case, and realized that a traditional "Law and Order" would have done that case in an hour. Or maybe a two-parter. I'll admit to being mildly interested in the interplay between some of the characters, but I don't find anybody that's likable enough to root for. So dealing with disturbed whack jobs and a bunch of highly flawed "good guys" ain't my cup of tea.

I watched the whole of S1. You summed up my objections to the show quite well. It could have been edited down to maybe four episodes.

Bosch is probably the least interesting detective I've ever run across. He works every waking hour, ignores his daughter, basically doesn't have a life. He listens to jazz, big whoop.

I watched the whole of S1. You summed up my objections to the show quite well. It could have been edited down to maybe four episodes.

Bosch is probably the least interesting detective I've ever run across. He works every waking hour, ignores his daughter, basically doesn't have a life. He listens to jazz, big whoop.QUOTE]

This makes me sad.. the Bosch series of books is probably my favorite series ever. Bosh is basically the old West sheriff who travels from town to town helping the town get justice from the murdering "outlaws".

The books are about bad guys but just as much about Bosch and what makes him want justice to prevail. A character study ..there are 20 books following him as he ages and struggles with balancing life and his personal demons from childhood.

Not surprising that it doesn't translate well to a min-series.

Back
Top Bottom