Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2021, 06:38 PM   #3061
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Recently subscribed to Netflix. Watched and enjoyed The Crown, Maid and Queens Gambit. I am looking for suggestions of Netflix series that don't have too much violence and vulgar language. What suggestions?
I also try to avoid shows with a lot of violence. I have enjoyed these:
Call the Midwife (excellent!)
Downton Abbey
The Good Place
Unorthodox
Last Tango in Halifax
Offspring
History of Swear Words
Night on Earth

You can also search for BBC and PBS shows.
Likes_to_Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2021, 07:19 PM   #3062
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes_to_Lurk View Post
Downton Abbey
The Good Place
Unorthodox
Last Tango in Halifax
Offspring
History of Swear Words
Night on Earth

Royal Pains is a hoot. But I see it doesn't stream on Netflix anymore. IMDB seems to have it
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:17 PM   #3063
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes_to_Lurk View Post
Downton Abbey
The Good Place
Unorthodox
Last Tango in Halifax
Offspring
History of Swear Words
Night on Earth

Thanks, I have PBS Passport and have watched most of the PBS shows. Call the Midwife is my favorite. I will look into some of the ones on your list that I have not watched to see if they are on Netflix
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:48 PM   #3064
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I am looking for suggestions of Netflix series that don't have too much violence and vulgar language. What suggestions?
It's not on Netflix but you definitely want to steer clear of Showtime's "Dexter: New Blood!" Watched the first episode tonight and although a little slow to start, it sure picked up in the last 20 minutes! Not yet up to the level of the tensest episodes of the original but there are a lot of irons in the fire for future plot twists.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #3065
Give me a forum ...

COBRA Season 2, yet another Top Notch British Drama, SkyTV
Old 11-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #3066
gone traveling

Yellowstone, very exciting season premier. Also watching Dexter and YellowJackets, haven't made up my mind yet.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #3067
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Yellowstone, very exciting season premier. Also watching Dexter and YellowJackets, haven't made up my mind yet.
Yesterday I watched the first 3 episodes of the new season of Yellowstone. Very good.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #3068
Administrator

Netflix just announced a more accurate methodology to rank its more popular shows and movies. Article from The Verge here.

Netflix new page showing the most popular shows and movies in rank order here.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #3069
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Netflix just announced a more accurate methodology to rank its more popular shows and movies. Article from The Verge here.

Thanks for the list of the most popular Netflix shows. I will look it over. However I think the DH and I are not the typical viewers, we must live in an alternate reality. We hate most of the most popular shows (too much violence, bad language, etc). Maybe what we should look for is a list of the most "unpopular" shows.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:39 AM   #3070

Not a new series by any means, but I have been watching "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" on ROKU TV. (Also on Peacock.) These are 25 minute short stories with a twist at the end, usually dealing with the dark side of human nature.

The quality of the acting is impressive, and there are plenty of big name actors: Joseph Cotten, Vera Miles, Ellen Corby, etc. (I think they wanted to work with Hitchcock.) Also, lots of actors that were just starting out--Charles Bronson, John Forsythe, Cloris Leachman, Darrin McGavin, Gene Barry, Peter Lawford, John Cassavetes, etc.

The dialogue is effortless and a joy to listen to. It's fun to see how society functioned back in the 50's. I'm constantly scanning the background of cityscapes to get a sense of how it was to live back then. I got a chuckle when someone marveled at the pay of a new job paying ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS A WEEK!

It's in black and white but they must have been fully restored because video and audio quality is excellent. There's even closed captioning, though not needed.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #3071
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the list of the most popular Netflix shows. I will look it over. However I think the DH and I are not the typical viewers, we must live in an alternate reality. We hate most of the most popular shows (too much violence, bad language, etc). Maybe what we should look for is a list of the most "unpopular" shows.
What streaming services do you subscribe to?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:06 PM   #3072
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Not a new series by any means, but I have been watching "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" on ROKU TV. (Also on Peacock.) These are 25 minute short stories with a twist at the end, usually dealing with the dark side of human nature.

The quality of the acting is impressive, and there are plenty of big name actors: Joseph Cotten, Vera Miles, Ellen Corby, etc. (I think they wanted to work with Hitchcock.) Also, lots of actors that were just starting out--Charles Bronson, John Forsythe, Cloris Leachman, Darrin McGavin, Gene Barry, Peter Lawford, John Cassavetes, etc.

The dialogue is effortless and a joy to listen to. It's fun to see how society functioned back in the 50's. I'm constantly scanning the background of cityscapes to get a sense of how it was to live back then. I got a chuckle when someone marveled at the pay of a new job paying ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS A WEEK!

It's in black and white but they must have been fully restored because video and audio quality is excellent. There's even closed captioning, though not needed.
It's funny, but when I watch those older shows all I can think of is how BAD the acting is. Maybe it's just a different style of acting but it's certainly not up to par with today's better shows.
People may not like some of the themes of today's shows but the overall production values, and the acting make this truly the Golden Age of Television.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #3073

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
It's funny, but when I watch those older shows all I can think of is how BAD the acting is. Maybe it's just a different style of acting but it's certainly not up to par with today's better shows.
People may not like some of the themes of today's shows but the overall production values, and the acting make this truly the Golden Age of Television.
I understand your point. Most of the older shows did have some bad acting; I'd say Hitchcock's show was an exception.

The better produced shows of today do feature excellent acting. But there's also a lot of bad acting on the run-of-the mill productions on most networks.

On a related note, I've been catching some old episodes (1961 and 1962) of Gunsmoke (on Paramount network) and am impressed at the quality of the scripts.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #3074
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayDreaming View Post
"Midnight Mass" - a limited series on Netflix. It's set in a fishing village that's seen better times, it feels like Maine although I don't think they say so. A new priest comes to the island, strange things happen - it really feels like it could be a Stephen King novel. Half-way though and I'm enjoying it.
I just started watching “Midnight Mass”. Agree - has a Stephen King feel to it. I’m only on episode 3 and I’m hooked.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:58 PM   #3075

Just watched the first two episodes of "Mayor of Kingstown" on Paramount+. To say its violent would be an understatement. It is compelling and I am looking forward to more episodes dropping soon (they aren't releasing the whole season in one drop).
Luvtoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #3076

Quote:

Interesting that Dynasty made the list. One of my neighborhood cohorts and school classmates is one of the main characters in that series. That would be the second successful series that i've had a personal connection to. The first was a buddy of mine dated/married then divorced one of the main Farscape actresses. Its not as big of a world as we think.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #3077

Monk. It is new to me. LOL!
Old 11-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #3078
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Recently subscribed to Netflix. Watched and enjoyed The Crown, Maid and Queens Gambit. I am looking for suggestions of Netflix series that don't have too much violence and vulgar language. What suggestions?
Schitt's Creek! Hilarious.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:10 AM   #3079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
I understand your point. Most of the older shows did have some bad acting; I'd say Hitchcock's show was an exception.

The better produced shows of today do feature excellent acting. But there's also a lot of bad acting on the run-of-the mill productions on most networks.

On a related note, I've been catching some old episodes (1961 and 1962) of Gunsmoke (on Paramount network) and am impressed at the quality of the scripts.

I would add The Twilight Zone to an old show with good acting.
Social commentaries that are still relevant today.
You just need to over look the “special effects” [emoji23]
Irishgirlyc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:09 AM   #3080
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What streaming services do you subscribe to?
Currently we subscribe to Youtube TV, Netflix and PBS Passport (we have pretty much watched everything of interest on PBS Passport). We have just started Netflix so I am mainly interested in good TV series on Netflix without a lot of violence and vulgar language.