What "old" series are you watching?

The Ranch with Aston Kutcher and Sam Watson. A few of the "2 & 1/2 Men" folks too.
I binged watched it right after the election.

Another vote for Leave it to Beaver.

I think I have a crush on Wally... :blush:

I think I have a crush on Ward Cleaver--he always looked so neat and had a good life lesson for every scrape the Beaver got into.:flowers:

Using apps like Tubi, Kodi, I can watch about any old TV show. I've been watching Have Gun Will Travel, The Rebel, The Adventures of Jim Bowie, Doctor in the House (British),and Dobie Gillis.

The excellent Batttlestar Galactica has been mentioned, but (unless I missed it) not the equally wonderful Farscape, which is available on Amazon Prime video.

Now and then Father Knows Best, if only for Elinor Donahue.

We tried out Uncle Earl's Classic TV last night, I think it will be a regular stop now. Lots of shows that were scattered other places all in one spot. Just have to figure out how to keep track of where we are in the series as we watch them.

We tried out Uncle Earl's Classic TV last night, I think it will be a regular stop now. Lots of shows that were scattered other places all in one spot. Just have to figure out how to keep track of where we are in the series as we watch them.

I use hott notes on my computer to keep track.

Amazon Prime:

MI-5
Dalziel and Pascoe
The Last Detective
DCI Banks

BJ and the Bear. I get a kick out of Claude Akins as Sheriff Lobo . Not the greatest plot sometimes, but it was entertaining. Mills Watson was pretty funny as his deputy and pretty women galore on that show.

Last edited:
Has anyone else here been finding that GetTV has annoyingly loooooooong commercial breaks? I often toggle between 2 channels to avoid commercials and I can switch from GetTV to another channel which then enters an ad break, finishes it, returns to its show, then I go back to GetTV and they are STILL in their ad break! [Every ad break has one of those Medicare enrollment ads, doesn't anyone UNDER 65 besides me watch this channel?]

The only good thing about GetTV is that they show All in the Family episodes in their entirety - they include the short epilogue scene at the very end of the episode whereas my local networks usually ended the show at the end of their final, main acts (cut for time, likely). In most episodes, I am watching short scenes I have rarely, if ever seen before.

Black & White to Color TV

The younger whipper-snappers here may not know this crucial factoid about old-time TV that some of us older older folks remember: the rather sudden conversion from black & white to color that virtually all then TV series took over 1965/1966. (Which, coincidentally, occurred during a lot of other 1960s culture from B&W to 3D color... you name it...)

Many popular B&W TV series at the time switched to color over the 1965/66 holiday season. Fun quiz: name some. I'll start: "The Fugitive" (1963-67), starring David Janssen. Huh? Why would a a lil' kid like me at the time enjoy watching this? I dunno. But still, to this day, I consider it a great old-time TV series. (It's my of my faves that converted from black and white to color circa 1965/1966. Plus "The Andy Griffith Show.")

Again, what were some of your fave old-time TV series that switched from B&W to color. (Not trying to get off-topic; just adding some flavor to the history of old-time TV.)

Last edited:
Has anyone else here been finding that GetTV has annoyingly loooooooong commercial breaks?
As re: the conversion from B&W to color in the mid-60s, I remember when I was a kid in the early 1960s that there were only about three, maybe four, short 30 second to one minute commercials during a one-hour TV show.

For example, today I have DVDs of ALL the Beatles performances on "The Ed Sullivan Show." You can witness entire episodes that confirm how infrequent and short TV commercials were in those days.

Over the years since then, TV commercials have grown longer (three or four minutes long) and inserted more often during each episode.

The younger whipper-snappers here may not know this crucial factoid about old-time TV that some of us older older folks remember: the rather sudden conversion from black & white to color that virtually all then TV series took over 1965/1966. (Which, coincidentally, occurred during a lot of other 1960s culture from B&W to 3D color... you name it...)

Many popular B&W TV series at the time switched to color over the 1965/66 holiday season. Fun quiz: name some. I'll start: "The Fugitive" (1963-67), starring David Janssen. Huh? Why would a a lil' kid like me at the time enjoy watching this? I dunno. But still, to this day, I consider it a great old-time TV series. (It's my of my faves that converted from black and white to color circa 1965/1966. Plus "The Andy Griffith Show.")

Again, what were some of your fave old-time TV series that switched from B&W to color. (Not trying to get off-topic; just adding some flavor to the history of old-time TV.)

One of my best friend’s folks got a new color TV at that time. I remember going over to see it and watching a show in color. I think it was Lassie. I remember being awed by the beautiful color picture! Shows I liked back then included Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Lost in Space, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and Wonderful World of Disney.

I love the black and white Andy Griffith shows--but once they converted to color they are no good.

Perry Mason season 6

Signed up for another free month of CBS All Access.
They have the old Perry Mason series.
The entire season 6 is not available.
I read that Perry Mason was not in any of the episodes except for brief appearances from his hospital bed.
I guess I will have to find some other way to see it.

Nevermind: Netflix has it.

Last edited:
I love the black and white Andy Griffith shows--but once they converted to color they are no good.

IMO after Don Knotts left the show it went downhill from there. He was on a few color episodes, but I believe that was after he had already left the show and thereafter made sporadic appearances. It seemed boring after he left, the fun was gone.

I can't answer that one, because, our family never had a color TV in the sixties. :(

My Dad ran a TV Sales & Service business in the 50s and 60s so we had a very early color set. They were so hard to keep adjusted we had a B&W we watched most of the time since there was only one or two color shows a week on and the Thanksgiving and New Year parades.

Once I was out on my own I didn't buy a color TV till late 70s. We decided we need to because our young son was watching Sesame Street and they were yelling out colors and he was pointing to grey spots and saying blue, red, ....

FYI, we had an early color tv set with a remote! When you pressed a button on the clicker a motor would move the channel selector or volume knob around in a circle.
The remote actually had small tuning forks inside to send out an inaudible sound. Yeah, I was one of those who had to take things apart to see how they worked.
Oh yeah, we only had 3 stations to watch so the remote thing was more a gimmick.

My parents' first TV remote clicker made an audible click. The TV also responded to other sounds, for example it'd turn on if you tossed a set of keys onto the bed just right.

We had a remote control antenna too, the kind where you turned the dial on the box on your TV to the direction you wanted, then a small motor attached to the antenna pole step-turned the antenna around, ker-chunk, ker-chunk, ker-chunk.

(Close to the truth) Our remote quit working at one point and I think I created the first Alexa (voice activated) back in the 80's. I actually had two of them... Neither were named Alexa but they would turn the TV on and off, change the channels and adjust the volume on command... The older model (DW) didn't work nearly as well as the younger one (DD). However, both quit responding after a few weeks so I was forced to get another one (TV).

Is it time to change the thread title to Reminiscences of Antiquated Equipment? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom