Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What "old" series are you watching?
Old 07-31-2022, 09:37 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What "old" series are you watching?

Already mentioned: Johnny Carson TV has been added to my Sling lineup (Orange+Blue). It’s a great go-to when nothing else is of interest. They show complete episodes. It reminds me why Carson was “King of Late Night” (definitely when compared to current offerings).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2022, 09:43 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Friends. Now that I’m older, they seem timeless, funny and quirky. Jennifer Anniston has a great career going. She hilarious in the movies “ The Millers” and “Bad Bosses”

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:13 AM   #143

Bought the Emergency DVD series after catching a few episodes on ME TV.. It helped lead me into my career...
We have several over the air channels that play nothing but old series... Its like going back in time.. Yesterday one ran a Leave it to Beaver marathon... hope they don't run a Star Trek one next weekend... I'll watch that.. MASH 2 episodes every day...

Wife bought me a T-Shirt....
"1300 Channels on satellite, and I'm watching Andy Griffith reruns"
Old 08-01-2022, 04:31 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
Bought the Emergency DVD series after catching a few episodes on ME TV.. It helped lead me into my career...
We have several over the air channels that play nothing but old series... Its like going back in time.. Yesterday one ran a Leave it to Beaver marathon... hope they don't run a Star Trek one next weekend... I'll watch that.. MASH 2 episodes every day...

Wife bought me a T-Shirt....
"1300 Channels on satellite, and I'm watching Andy Griffith reruns"
Andy Griffith is one of the best ever, a classic. We have a whole town here in NC devoted to that show--Mt Airy.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:34 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Frasier, usually the last thing we watch before bedtime. A mental palate cleanser.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:46 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

I binge watched The West Wing and The Newsroom back a while ago on HBOMax. Both great, smart and funny shows... I wish that there were more shows like that available.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:37 AM   #147

It was funny watching a couple episodes of the old Kung Fu series with David Carradine. The new big screen TV's really magnify how bad the makeup was back then. All of the bald headed monks were wearing head covers that wasn't so noticeable back in the day when watching it on a small screen low def. TV, but it really shows through now.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:35 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I binge watched The West Wing and The Newsroom back a while ago on HBOMax. Both great, smart and funny shows... I wish that there were more shows like that available.
Madame Secretary is very similar to West Wing, not sure where Madame Secretary is showing but I bet it is on somewhere on reruns.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:51 AM   #149

The Ed Sullivan Show
Star Trek N.G.
Columbo

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:54 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Heh! You beat me to posting this. How true.

I also recall when shows were subtitled "IN COLOR" .. Remember having to warm up the TV?
Yes! - and the dot in the center of the screen when it was turned off.

Also, if I am not mistaken, remember the National Anthem played at the end of the "broadcast day" before the test pattern or the' snow' went up. All B&W of course in the late '60s at our house. LOL

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:57 AM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

We seem to always have an old series going. Grimm and The Mentalist which were repeats. Bones, The Closer, Major Crimes and Person of Interest, which were new to us. Friends and How I Met Your Mother always have something silly to laugh with.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:45 AM   #152

I've never liked westerns but accidentally caught a bit of a classic Gunsmoke radio show on the internet and listened. Then I deliberately started listening to Gunsmoke radio dramas through earbuds while doing stuff around the house. Really enjoying them. Next thing I know I'm watching TV episodes on Paramount Plus. The black and white hour long episodes from the early 60's. Paramount Plus only had 2 seasons available so after I'd seen those the next thing is I'm DVRing stories from INSP network on cable. Discovered the very early years were one-half hour stories. Very compact story telling and great plots.

This show is not your typical 60's TV show. Stories don't always end on a happy note, in fact, they usually don't. This was surprising to me and many stories really pack a punch.

I'm now past the black and white stories and into the color era. There must have been a change in the main writers or the production crew as these stories, while pretty good, are not as compelling as the black and white era stories.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:44 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Andy Griffith is one of the best ever, a classic. We have a whole town here in NC devoted to that show--Mt Airy.
It is, and been to Mt Airy several times for the Fiddlers Convention.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:17 AM   #154
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Rockford Files is my favorite detective show. I love how he lives in a run down mobile home on some prime ocean front real estate and does a lot of fishing. His humor and delivery really make the show. It seems he always loses out on the big payday but always bounces back and seems very content. The other characters are great too including Angel Martin and Rocky his Dad. He has lots of big name guests who appear on the show also.
dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:15 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
... Remember having to warm up the TV?
Now you wait for them to 'boot up'! The more things change...

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:10 PM   #156

Highway Patrol with Broderick Crawford as Mr. Dan Matthews (no rank mentioned). 2150 to headquarters! early morning on MeTV.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:16 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Madame Secretary is very similar to West Wing, not sure where Madame Secretary is showing but I bet it is on somewhere on reruns.
Madam Secretary is on Netflix.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:24 PM   #158

I watched all 20 seasons of Gunsmoke a couple years back as it was airing 6 days per week on MeTV and when they started over, I started watching again about half way through the series watching about 10 seasons again to the end. I use an antenna and computer based DVR to record MeTV broadcasts.

watched the original Twin Peaks series on DVD as well - hadn't seen it before.

I watched some episodes of Crime (Peacock) and Kolchak (MeTV), but I didn't really like them. I had watched Crime Story some way back in 1986 and liked it at the time, but Kolchak was new to me.

Recently watched the mini-series Battlestar Galactica on Peacock.

Now, I am watching House some evenings on Peacock, but I have already seen many of those episodes before.

I watch one episode of Star Trek TOS per week as aired on MeTV.
GenXguy is online now   Reply With Quote