Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What type of phone do you use or recommend?
Old 05-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What type of phone do you use or recommend?

Been hearing alot about the new Iphone 8 it will probably cost a ton. I currently use a 6plus. Seems like the Samsung's are even more popular as many people say they prefer the Android system.
What phone do you use or do you recommend?
Just curious.
Refresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

The best smartphone I have is the Motorola E 2nd Generation. I think I paid about $55 for it 2 years ago.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I finally decided that the price of iPhones exceeded the value I was getting out of them. Also, my iPhone 5S was rapidly becoming impossible to hear or be heard on, for normal voice calling. I was tired of yelling into my phone.

So, after having an iPhone on Verizon since nearly the beginning, I switched. I went to Cricket Wireless, signed up for a $30/month plan, ported my number over, and got a free LG Spree smartphone.

Honestly? I love it. For me it's perfect although YMMV. It's great for regular (voice) phone calling, and the quality of voice transmission is fabulous; I can hear not just the voice, but also the right tone quality or timbre of that person's voice. No more need for me to yell into my phone. My iPhones have never had voice transmission this good, even on day one. Also texting is so easy that I started doing that for the first time.

OK, the cheapskate in me also loves that it was free and that makes me want to grin every time I use it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm an Apple fanboy.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #5

I have an Apple 6s. While I may look at the 8, it will take some kind of improvement for me to shell out 800 bucks or so to buy a new one.

I also have a older Ipad Mini. The only reason I'm thinking of replacing it is because it is running slow. As long as the 6s is snappy, I'll keep it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #6

I use the Iphone 6plus. DH uses and I phone 5. DH's phone was didn't have any battery life left he purchased a new batter and a kit to put it in and youtubed how to install. Works great.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

My husband has a 5S, brand new a replacement of mine. Mine is 6. But I use speaker phone most of the time on my cell. I can't barely hear otherwise.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

After spending most of my waking hours on the telephone while I worked at MegaCorp, I have decided to forgo having a cell phone in retirement. And I'm like a bird let out of a cage.

But I'm not married to a bird, and my DW has an inexpensive Samsung smart phone purchased at T-Mobile for around $120. It does anything she needs to do--which means answering the phone and making a few phone calls. She rarely even texts, and hardly knows how to use the internet.

We have no interest in having an I-Phone or high line Samsung phone that costs $550 to $800.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #9

I just switched from a iPhone SE to a 6S and like the larger screen size.

I just got home from 4 weeks in Spain where I was traveling to different towns and meeting new people each day. It seemed that most of the people either had Samsung or Apple phones.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresher View Post
... What phone do you use ... ?
I just bought a discounted Nexus 5X for $250 and signed up for Google Project Fi. In general I buy used Nexus GSM phones that are one or two generations old. Let the early adopters take the depreciation. Then I use them until there is some specific reason that I need to upgrade. Just like buying a used car and driving it until it gets a terminal illness.

Project Fi was the change driver this time, causing me to ditch my Nexus 4. Basic charge is $20/month, unlimited talk and text in the US using WiFi (VoIP), Sprint or T-Mobile networks opportunistically. Also phone & text coverage in 135 countries, sometimes free (Canada, for example) and sometimes at fairly low rates. Data is $10/GB, pay only for what you use & no minimum. Same data price in any of 135 countries around the world. Last month my data bill was $0.97. They also provide free data-only SIM cards, so both of our Nexus 7 tablets are also on the same $10/GB deal at no extra cost. We typically travel internationally a couple of times a year so the international features are a big advantage for us. https://fi.google.com

Prior to switching, I was on a family plan with my wife at https://www.puretalkusa.com/. Paid $15/month total for both phones. Don't remember how many minutes, but unused minutes rolled over to the next month & we are not heavy users so we pretty quickly built up a huge bank. Maybe they killed that plan, tho, as I don't see it on their site any more. Still, I think what they do offer still looks pretty good.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
I sure got my moneys worth from mine
Old 05-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #11

I sure got my moneys worth from mine

I am the proud owner of a Motorola W233. i got it used on eBay for 9 dollars including shipping. I bought it right after i retired so im thinking the spring of 2009. Its still going strong, I loaded it up with 1000 minutes initially, and they last a year. i add 20 bucks one a year and the unused minutes roll over to the next year period. The screen says some now defunct cell phone company, but it works like a charm with a t mobile sim card. It does everything i need , like when i have to go to a funeral home in Long Island and i get lost , i call the Parlor and tell them im at the intersection of so and so what do i do now? Or when the bride sends me to the store for 1 or 2 items and i forgot what she said. Its awesome , battery lasts for weeks without usage, it has text message capabilities but i dont use that function. It has a tools button that has a calendar for reminders and a calculator. I use those. As a matter of fact i put in a reminder that i need to send out another 5 THOUSAND in estimated tax. Cell phone is not a line item in my budget the 20 bucks falls into the livin large misc category.> By the way every word in this post is 100 % fact, we live a simple life.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I have an iPhone 5s with AT&T. No complaints about the phone. The service is spotty at times, but i don't have another carrier to compare, so I guess it's ok.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #13

Iphone 7 Plus and very happy with it. I buy a new one every year, so I'm on the AT&T Next program where I make twelve monthly payments of $40.00 and then turn in the phone and get a new one. I like always having the latest technology.

And, my company pays for it, so it's a luxury that I don't have to feel guilty about.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #14

Samsung S7 Edge. Best phone I've ever had.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #15

I have an iPhone SE (basically an iPhone 5S). I like the size and I've been happy with Apple. However, getting close to retirement and I think in retirement, I will have a much different phone. Today I saw something called Jelly. It claims to be the smallest phone. I think I may look into something like that when I retire. For now, I'm on MegaCorp phone and data plan so I'll keep my Apple.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ We are never cutting edge phone people, we usually skip a good 3-4 generations before upgrading, then I waterfall my phone to my mother who thinks she's getting a new supercomputer, science ficton device.
Hexanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:36 AM   #17

iPhone 6 - which I will keep until it breaks or no longer does what I need it to do.

The 6s was too large to fit into my pocket which made it inconvenient.

With some countries introducing rules allowing border police to download everything on my phone/lap top when I travel, I will be looking for a second "travel only" phone which will only have minimal personal data on it.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:54 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refresher View Post
Been hearing alot about the new Iphone 8 it will probably cost a ton. I currently use a 6plus. Seems like the Samsung's are even more popular as many people say they prefer the Android system.
What phone do you use or do you recommend?
Just curious.
We won't know until they actually announce but the rumors I've read suggest the next iPhone iteration will include a 7s and 7s Plus at the same price as the current 7. Rumor has it they will also roll out an iPhone 8 at a higher price ($1000?) with way more features to recognize the 10th anniversary since the original iPhone.

I have a 6 Plus and I will keep it as long as possible as they're too pricey to buy a new one every 2 years for my use. We use ours for internet access primarily, that's why we chose the Plus size. If I was mostly using it to text and make calls, I wouldn't even bother with an iPhone - way overkill.

We used to have Android phones, never again. Nothing against Samsung.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:07 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

6+ is good with me.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:13 AM   #20

I usually buy the previous Android model (new) on ebay every 2-3yrs. $50. beats $1000. any day. Currently have a Moto Droid Mini (got tired of carrying around a television screen) - like it a lot.