Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
Looking at the cut-rate plans here remind me of why I keep AT&T. We pay $92 per month for two iPhones with a 3GB data plan and unlimited everything else. That number includes taxes, tips, gratuities, cumshaw, and baksheesh.

The savings for a similar plan with a second tier company just don't add up to enough to make it worthwhile. YMMV, Reg. Penna., Pat. Pend., of course.
You understand some of those "second tier" companies are simply subsidiaries and/or resellers of "first tier" company services? Example: Cricket Wireless is owned by AT&T and will sell you the same unlimited AT&T network service with 4GB data plan for $250 less per year.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You understand some of those "second tier" companies are simply subsidiaries and/or resellers of "first tier" company services? Example: Cricket Wireless is owned by AT&T and will sell you the same unlimited AT&T network service with 4GB data plan for $250 less per year.

Let's not include taxes, tips, and assorted baksheesh so that we can compare apples and apples. My plan is $80 per month. Now, among other benefits that AT&T offers is the ability to use my phone as a mobile hotspot. That alone would cost an extra $10 from Cricket. Now the prices are exactly the same. International texting and messaging? Comes with AT&T. Extra cost on Cricket. Rollover up to 2GB of unused bandwidth? Automatic on AT&T, not on Cricket.

I think I've made my point. For what I use, it isn't worth the bother or extra expense to switch from AT&T.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Let's not include taxes, tips, and assorted baksheesh so that we can compare apples and apples. My plan is $80 per month. Now, among other benefits that AT&T offers is the ability to use my phone as a mobile hotspot. That alone would cost an extra $10 from Cricket. Now the prices are exactly the same. International texting and messaging? Comes with AT&T. Extra cost on Cricket. Rollover up to 2GB of unused bandwidth? Automatic on AT&T, not on Cricket.

I think I've made my point. For what I use, it isn't worth the bother or extra expense to switch from AT&T.
Good for YOU - stick with what works. It took me a while too - I even had to switch to a carrier that offered CDMA technology because both my home AND my mountain cabin seem to be in a GSM deadzone (or at least a near-dead zone) for some odd reason, and CDMA works much, much more reliably for me. Fortunately, there are tons of choices!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I've made my point.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have ting on a gsm android phone, and while it's cheap, I have found it unreliable. Had to take a taxi ($80) instead of uber ($35) home from the airport because couldn't' connect to uber' s network, even outside the airport doors. Ting customer service said "airports can be a problem." Well, everyone around me seemed to be connected. If it were possible, I would have asked one of them to get an uber for us!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #46

just deleted
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #47

Then there's this if you are a comcast customer
https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/

It will use the Verizon wireless network. I just found out that if you use 1.1GB, you pay $24; so not proportional to use. 30 day return policy for full refund.

And no reports of actual usage experience yet. I'd watch & wait.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
As far as I am aware, all iPhone 5g sold in the USA have dual band capability (GSM as well as CDMA) built in. In Europe, there are GSM-only versions because they don't use the CDMA technology at all. However, I don't know of any CDMA-only version. So, you should not need another phone! If your phone has a SIM slot, then it will accept any European GSM SIM.
Of course, you will want to back up your phone before you travel overseas (if nothing else, you could lose it!), but using a GSM SIM does not have anything to do with backups. Just install the SIM and re-boot the phone.
I actually used my iPhone 5s last month in England as is, no swapping out SIM card, same US number. I used Verizon's $10 a day travel plan (yeah, I know, but only charged if you use it) that works with your Verizon plan for data or phone limits. It worked great. Will see if my new iPhone 7 will work as well in Germany next month.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #49

I would suggest reviewing your minutes/text used and see if some of the pay-go plans available meet your needs. I've been using H2O Wireless (uses AT&T network) for about 1.5 years now and it's worked out great for me. I use their pay-go plan, minimum cost is $9 every 90 days, $.05text-talk/min, $.10data/MB. Anything unused carries over as long as you don't let your account expire, I use $9 auto charge every 90 days to avoid that. Brought my unlocked Moto G over, total cost is $36/year and have accumulated enough carry over $'s so not concerned about using data when I need it.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

LG Nexus 5X phone (Android Version 7.1.1)

Cricket Wireless - $35/month total.

Unlimited talk, text, with 4 GB Data.

Uses AT&T towers.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
As far as I am aware, all iPhone 5g sold in the USA have dual band capability (GSM as well as CDMA) built in. In Europe, there are GSM-only versions because they don't use the CDMA technology at all. However, I don't know of any CDMA-only version. So, you should not need another phone! If your phone has a SIM slot, then it will accept any European GSM SIM.
Of course, you will want to back up your phone before you travel overseas (if nothing else, you could lose it!), but using a GSM SIM does not have anything to do with backups. Just install the SIM and re-boot the phone.
It's worth a try! The phone definitely has a SIM slot- I needed it when I switched from Verizon to Ting. My next adventure is Iceland, and if swapping out the SIM card doesn't work, it would probably be a good place to buy an international phone.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I use Tracfone. $100/yr plus the phone which cost me $100 and has lasted 3 years and still going strong. I have put an extra $20 in a couple times but that's still no more than $10/mo average. This won't work if you are a big talker but it's an easy way to save for me. No reason at all for me to pay $40+ for a monthly plan somewhere.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I use Tracfone. $100/yr plus the phone which cost me $100 and has lasted 3 years and still going strong. I have put an extra $20 in a couple times but that's still no more than $10/mo average. This won't work if you are a big talker but it's an easy way to save for me. No reason at all for me to pay $40+ for a monthly plan somewhere.
I use Tracfone as well. Bought a Motorola Moto E for $20 about a year ago. Got the Tracfone plan for 1,200 talk minutes, texts and data for $100 a year and so far it's working great. I have lots of minutes left since most of the time I'm at @ WiFi area and use that for calls text and data. Next year might be cheaper since the minutes roll over and I can buy another year (with no minutes) for less than $50. It does not work overseas though. So not an option for frequent travelers. Very happy switching from my $130/mo AT&T plan to $8.33/mo.

As an aside, for those that want to spend zero monthly $ and have access to WiFi most of the time, the Moto E works just fine with WiFi enabled and zero monthly costs by using a Google voice number. Of course, no phone on the road or non WiFi areas but I'm old enough to remember that the world continued to spin just fine when all we had were land lines and the cord wouldn't reach very far...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #54

I have the same plane as Nightcap. Another thing about AT&t, they roll over unused data each month. As I use little data, I normally have about 5 gig to play with.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
It's worth a try! The phone definitely has a SIM slot- I needed it when I switched from Verizon to Ting. My next adventure is Iceland, and if swapping out the SIM card doesn't work, it would probably be a good place to buy an international phone.
You don't need an "international phone." Any GSM phone will work fine. I do not want to mess with my regular phone and the information on it, so we have been carrying an old Nexus 1 to take the purchased SIM cards. Even the newer Nexus 4 is around fifty bucks on eBay or your local CraigsList so it's a cheap option.

If you travel a lot as we do, Project Fi is a pretty good deal IMO. 135 countries with no screwing with SIM cards, no uncertainty with having service, and in our case we will both have our phones so we can call each other if necessary. We just switched and have not actually tried it outside the US but all the reviews are very favorable.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I actually used my iPhone 5s last month in England as is, no swapping out SIM card, same US number. I used Verizon's $10 a day travel plan (yeah, I know, but only charged if you use it) that works with your Verizon plan for data or phone limits. It worked great. Will see if my new iPhone 7 will work as well in Germany next month.
You know, I just realized I used this phone in Iceland in 2015. I had a Verizon plan then and just paid the extra to have International roaming while I was there. I'm taking my info from Ting's site and it may be faulty. I'm definitely going to head to Iceland with this phone and try a local SIM card. If it fails and I have to live with Wi-Fi only (or buy another phone) I'll survive.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I'm happy with Ting. It meets my needs at under $30 a month. I'm a moderate user of data and my friends are text message addicts.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:55 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I did a search, but the newest threads I could find are a few years old at least.
I have a couple of ideas.
First of all, let me explain that DW and I have Verizon Wireless, Unlimited Data plans, and we are now up to $220/ month. I really don't think we need to have unlimited plans.

We ditched the land lines, but frankly, with "bundling" plans from the internet providers, they just about give the phone service away, so we're really not saving much there.

We have iPhones, and we text and send photos occasionally. I wouldn't want to give up texting, but could live without the photos if it saves a bunch of money. The idea that I'm spending over 2600 bucks a year for our phones makes me want to barf.
We have a family share plan with Verizon Wireless. It may be 10GB data shared, or similar. The cost per month, without any charges for phones, is $130.79 for 3 lines. That includes a corporate discount on the first line.

When we lose that discount, it will probably be time to switch plan and get new phones, maybe. Still using iphone 4S.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Another satisfied Googlefi user. We pay about $50 a month for two phones with 1 gig of data each. Rarely go over that but if we need more data it is automatically added in 1 gig increments and you get rebated for what you don't use. If you travel it is good because it just works wherever you go usually. No goofing around with sim cards or anything.

I'll admit the service isn't the best coverage wise but for the most part we use WiFi and have coverage wherever we need it.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #60

Another vote for GoogleFi ($27 a month). yes I bought the phone but coverage is superb for me, DH used his internationally with no issues before I got mine.

afaic, it's the best way to android. And the google sync up is v nice.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote