Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2022, 12:39 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just started running a test with the colored one . Should have comparable results in about 2 hrs.

Gonna run alone then cascaded two testers in the next run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color start -1.JPG (67.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg color start - 1a.JPG (90.1 KB, 13 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Got some numbers back. Nice having the dummy load.

According to this tester, the Ryobi battery I'm testing, spec of 45Wh now only has 18.531 Wh. Good to know .

How old is your Ryobi battery? I suspect that it is fairly aged, and has lost much of its original capacity.

Do new batteries test up to their capacity? Yes.

I have tested literally hundreds of cells that I bought on the surplus market. Depending on how long they have been in use, or perhaps just liquidated because of a design change, they may test anywhere from 90% to 100%.

Not all Chinese cell makers lie. Often it is the vendor who lies, not the manufacturer.

Now, the aging rate of the cells is a different story. Some age faster than others, and this is something you only know after owning and using them.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:34 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
How old is your Ryobi battery? I suspect that it is fairly aged, and has lost much of its original capacity.

Do new batteries test up to their capacity? Yes.

I have tested literally hundreds of cells that I bought on the surplus market. Depending on how long they have been in use, or perhaps just liquidated because of a design change, they may test anywhere from 90% to 100%.

Not all Chinese cell makers lie. Often it is the vendor who lies, not the manufacturer.

Now, the aging rate of the cells is a different story. Some age faster than others, and this is something you only know after owning and using them.
The Ryobi battery is quite old. I say over 10 years old. In fact, I bought another some time ago because this one seemed to not last as long as when new. The measuring kind of confirms this.

I did notice that the non-color tested did shut off before the battery is totally drained, so that too may be why the Wh result is lower than the specs. The tester shut off, but I have a plain battery tester (especially for the Ryobi) that shows 1 bar of energy left.

I'm curious too see with the color tester how much if any juice if left in the Ryobi batter when that tester shuts off.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:38 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Got a result to compare. Ran color tester alone. The color tester did drain the battery a little more but the numbers are close.

non-color: 3550 mAh, 18.531 Wh

color: 3654 mAh, 18.035 Wh

As for which one to choose? A personal preference.

Color calculates Wh automatically and probably a bit more precise. Also can turn off display during running.

I think (to my surprise) non-color display easier to read. Larger text.

The numbers I'm most interested in (mAh, Wh) are tiny on color.

Color about 2X as much is cost.

p.s. when the battery charges up, I'll run them both cascaded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color alone.JPG (91.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Oh, I also like that the non-color shows elapsed time, color does not.
Old 07-24-2022, 04:52 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Ryobi battery is quite old. I say over 10 years old...
45Wh down to 18.5Wh, or 41% of original capacity.

If it were a lead-acid or NiCad, would you expect it to work at all at 10 year old?

Yes, lithium cells last a long time, but not forever. They usually age fairly gracefully too, but a few go "kaput" suddenly.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 05:56 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Here's the numbers running both the color and non-color tester at the same time.

I've decided to keep the cheap one and return the color and the unopened Klein.

I prefer the very simplicity and display of the cheap one (despite having to calculate the Wh).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg both testers.JPG (65.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-18-2023, 12:44 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Thought I'd revive this thread as today I saw a USB tester on Amazon which might be exactly what I want. I just had to buy . Looks simple to operate and automatically calculates the Wh.

I could just as well use the one I have at the moment and calculate the Wh on my own. But the lazy in me thinks would be nice to not even have to use that brain cell.

Looks like the tester has to make the trip from China so may take a few weeks to arrive.

In the meantime, here is a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Uonlytech USB Tester.jpg (66.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-18-2023, 08:23 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thought I'd revive this thread as today I saw a USB tester on Amazon which might be exactly what I want. I just had to buy . Looks simple to operate and automatically calculates the Wh.

I could just as well use the one I have at the moment and calculate the Wh on my own. But the lazy in me thinks would be nice to not even have to use that brain cell.

Looks like the tester has to make the trip from China so may take a few weeks to arrive.

In the meantime, here is a picture.
Got a link the the device?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 12:15 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

My Uonlytech (brand name) USB Tester arrived today.

It works .

The button serves several functions like zeroing different measurements one a a time depending on how many rapid clicks.

It does function the way I want. Captures measurements when measured battery bank runs out of juice and long press on button resets all measurements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usb tester.JPG (78.8 KB, 6 views)