Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Get the smaller screen and when home use and external big screen, i have a 17" unusable on a plane, too big.
Works fine in Business Class....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Which would you choose - a 17 inch laptop 2.95 lbs vs a 15.6 inch laptop 2.41 lbs.?
Old 05-05-2019, 11:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Which would you choose - a 17 inch laptop 2.95 lbs vs a 15.6 inch laptop 2.41 lbs.?

Thanks everyone. I just ordered the 17 inch from Costco, which has a 90 day return policy. Will see if it fits my needs. I dont want to strain my eyes too
Old 05-06-2019, 12:03 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
It’s for home use. I have 17 now.
Then it doesn't matter, as you could get a 27" or larger on your desk and plug the laptop into the nice big screen.

I use 2 screens off my computer a 27" and a 24", so the total width is: 51"
Old 05-06-2019, 12:06 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I just ordered the 17 inch from Costco, which has a 90 day return policy. Will see if it fits my needs. I dont want to strain my eyes too
Great! Sounds like a good choice.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:31 AM   #25

The weight is close. 17.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Then it doesn't matter, as you could get a 27" or larger on your desk and plug the laptop into the nice big screen.

That’s generally of no use to me, because I like to lie down on the couch while reading, so I will never use a desktop monitor. But if I do, this 17 inch laptop actually has Thunderbolt 3 which can immediately plug to a dual monitor external display. The 15 inch laptop does not have a Thunderbold3 plug, so .. the 17 inch laptop wins here
Old 05-06-2019, 05:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
But for home use is low weight really worth paying more for?

Its really more of the battery life for me than the weight. Battery life is 19.5 hours on 1 charge .. but actual use may be 12 hours . We’ll see [emoji4]
Old 05-06-2019, 06:16 AM   #28
gone traveling

Did this a year ago.....MacBook Air is the 'puter.....Lite weight and easy to travel and use when on the deck. Bought a HUGE monitor to connect the MacBook Air when doing serious bidness at the desk. Best of both worlds. One and done.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:01 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Did this a year ago.....MacBook Air is the 'puter.....Lite weight and easy to travel and use when on the deck. Bought a HUGE monitor to connect the MacBook Air when doing serious bidness at the desk. Best of both worlds. One and done.
I just upgraded my old (early 2014) MacBook Air to a new one.. LOVE IT! It's easy to dock with the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) connection, to my big screen & other wired peripherals. It's built-in screen is brilliant though, and the battery lasts way longer than advertised. I can go 2 full days of browsing/streaming/emailing without the need for a charge.

Which ever you decide, make sure it has USB-C - that will make life easy!
Old 05-07-2019, 05:06 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshTrent View Post
I just upgraded my old (early 2014) MacBook Air to a new one.. LOVE IT! It's easy to dock with the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) connection, to my big screen & other wired peripherals. It's built-in screen is brilliant though, and the battery lasts way longer than advertised. I can go 2 full days of browsing/streaming/emailing without the need for a charge.

Which ever you decide, make sure it has USB-C - that will make life easy!

I have the same 2014 MacBook Air. How do you like the new keyboard vs the old one?

I have owned a laptop of various brands since the early 1990s. My 2014 MacBook is the only one I have had this long and is the only one I have continues to be quite happy with after a few years. Don’t want to break this streak!
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Its really more of the battery life for me than the weight. Battery life is 19.5 hours on 1 charge .. but actual use may be 12 hours . We’ll see [emoji4]
With that type of life, one of my concerns would be if the battery was permanently built in vs being user replaceable. It seems I order a new dell Latitude battery every 12-18 months.

I would hate to think that my laptop was disposable when the battery died.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:55 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
I have the same 2014 MacBook Air. How do you like the new keyboard vs the old one?

I have owned a laptop of various brands since the early 1990s. My 2014 MacBook is the only one I have had this long and is the only one I have continues to be quite happy with after a few years. Don’t want to break this streak!
I prefer the new keyboard.. it's less "clicky". I've also been a fan of the Retina Display, which my old one didn't have. The Trackpad did take a little getting used to, but it's more versatile than the old one, just a short learning curve.

I understand your hesitation.. that laptop served me well too! I'd suggest a visit to the Apple Store to try it out.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
With that type of life, one of my concerns would be if the battery was permanently built in vs being user replaceable. It seems I order a new dell Latitude battery every 12-18 months.

I would hate to think that my laptop was disposable when the battery died.

-gauss

This laptop’s battery is replaceable and RAM is expandable from 16g to 64g or more. And there are 2 slots for ssd drives. So you can put two 2 TB .. and have 4 TB ssd hard drive storage.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

You guys that say your laptop never leaves home, what made decide to abandon the desktop model? It seem as if you already have a modern large monitor, the desktop gives you way more bang for your buck.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

But the two combined only total about 556 total square inches. I use my 65" TV as a monitor which totals 1800 square inches
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been really surprised at the latest Chromebooks for use during vacations. They are lightweight, fast, great battery life, and very affordable. When not travelling on vacation a 17" laptop being able to move from room to room or to take to a meeting or library is manageable - weight wise really good from just years ago. So I would go with a 17" laptop for basic use and a Chromebook to use on vacations.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #37
gone traveling

Apple screwed the pooch dropping the 17" macbookpro line after 2011. Its big enough to be my only computer -- except the second GPU for graphics overheats the board & eventually ruins the motherboard. Getting harder to find used ones.
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #38

What apps are you using while travelling? If you're going to do something complicated like Photoshop or non-linear video editing, I'd go for the 17". Otherwise, if your eyes are good enough, go for the 15". It's not just about size and weight, it's about usability.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:22 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
But the two combined only total about 556 total square inches. I use my 65" TV as a monitor which totals 1800 square inches
Now you are thinking !!

Resolution is an issue by simply going larger, the image can degrade a lot.
We only have a 1K TV which is 55", so I want to upgrade that to 85" 4K.

That would free up the 55" TV to put on my desktop, if the resolution is good.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:16 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now you are thinking !!

Resolution is an issue by simply going larger, the image can degrade a lot.
We only have a 1K TV which is 55", so I want to upgrade that to 85" 4K.

That would free up the 55" TV to put on my desktop, if the resolution is good.
My TV is a 4K and the resolution is good enough for my needs.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote