Join Early Retirement Today

Why I Don't Upgrade Windows
Old 12-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why I Don't Upgrade Windows

I've tricked Windows into not doing automatic upgrades by telling I was on a metered wifi connection.

But on my daughter's wifi, it downloaded and installed the upgrade without my permission. As a result, all of the start menu icons I'd laboriously created and organized were gone.

Fortunately, I was able to go back to the earlier version.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like the flipping, scrolling, and flashing. Sort of like a circus for your desktop.

I would be afraid of security problems by not updating.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
+1, on all our connected devices.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
+2

I should be more careful with the wording. I meant that I update in the same major version, I don't upgrade to Windows 10.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #5

Windows 7 will be supported for several more years. Even Windows XP imbedded is still being supported. Microsoft's old OS model didn't build-in slimeball personal information acquisition, like mobile OS's do, so they needed to force people to upgrade using any means available. TA... search "never ten".
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've tricked Windows into not doing automatic upgrades by telling I was on a metered wifi connection.

But on my daughter's wifi, it downloaded and installed the upgrade without my permission. As a result, all of the start menu icons I'd laboriously created and organized were gone.

Fortunately, I was able to go back to the earlier version.
Good heavens, Al! That is definitely an unusual start menu appearance. Or at least, it sure looks different from mine.

My start menu has all those small icons (on the left of your graphic, from top to bottom), and then just 5 bigger icons. Usually I never use the start menus, and instead start programs from shortcuts located either on my desktop or in folders on my desktop. The latter is an old habit left over from Windows 3.1 .

I always update immediately now that I am using Windows 10. I figure that Microsoft has already got me in their clutches, so I'd better comply and update now like a good customer. It hasn't been a problem for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #7

You will all be assimilated.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #8

Switch to Desktop mode, rather than Tablet mode. That will solve the rearranging issue. And you get the familiar windows desktop.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have my Windows 10 looking like an older version--like 8.1.

It is nice to keep things simple and familiar.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:40 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I don't want to pick and choose in case I miss a key security update so I just let Win 10 do it's think. I haven't had any problems. I don't maintain any finicky obscure programs anymore that might be likely to to run into conflicts/
Old 12-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking of Windows 10, I am finally done with it. Too much of the same thing that everyone's dealing with through the obnoxious unannounced updating. Plus it's a memory hog and keeps removing my Classic Shell on any update. I also have to go back in and undo all the information collecting defaults it is loaded with.

I revived my old work computer that I built 10 years ago (really 10?) and added some RAM, a bigger SCSI drive and she relives again on Windows 7 Professional. I'm good for a long haul here now.

For backup (not really back up as with "files"), I have my wonderful and very mobile Chromebook.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #12

I've been on Windows ever since version 3.1, when MegaCorp first got it. Back then the workstations actually ran DOS, and booted up to a Windows version that resided on the server.

I think this will be my last Windows computer. Not really sure I need all the "business" type software that kept me there all these years. In fact, software in general just isn't worth investing any time or effort into any more. It's all so transient.

I'll never buy an Apple product, so I'm thinking I'll look at some Android- or Unix-based system when I need to buy hardware again. It's getting so it doesn't really matter any more. I'd probably be OK with just a cell phone or tablet, but I find the laptop form factor, with a full keyboard, much easier for me. I'm a touch typist. I'll probably be the last one still alive some day.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #13

You and me, Tom, except I might get an older Apple, but just as a developer work station
Old 12-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #14

The only reason I keep Win 10 on a boot drive is for Turbotax. Virtualbox is an option if you want to try out a new OS within Windows. SSDs are a great way to add an additional OS to your system and do a multi boot setup.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The only reason I keep Win 10 on a boot drive is for Turbotax. Virtualbox is an option if you want to try out a new OS within Windows. SSDs are a great way to add an additional OS to your system and do a multi boot setup.
I need Windows for Turbotax and annual Garmin map updates. I'm still on Win 7 and am in no rush to update to Win 10 for the main reason of the too often updates.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #16

I could not get the HP wireless printer to work on my wife's laptop after the latest Win 10 update. I wasted two days and after all kinds of rabbit holes in researching and implementing "solutions" from HP, microsoft, trying all kinds of drivers etc etc I gave up and installed Linux Mint XFCE on her laptop. Problem solved. Printer problem? one click Linux recognized the printer printed test page and we are good.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Microsoft extended lifecycle so far has Windows 7 going into 2020. I'll take it.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Virtual box is also an option to run older os and software on a new os. If you like WFW 3.11 you can run it in virtual box including the networking.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #19

Still using XP at our house with no security problems yet. May switch over to W7 soon.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #20

I've got an XP that gets updates because I flipped the embedded bit.
My main desktop is Win7 Pro. But my next machine will be some Unix variety.