Why Specific Batteries Needed in Smoke/CO Detectors

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Noticed that specific batteries are suggested for my smoke/CO detectors.
I understand that some may be higher "quality" (and price) but why designate
only a few specific ones (brand/"model" number). Wouldn't any generic 9v
alkaline battery work............avoiding no-name brands to be safe.

Probably just for reliability. The last time I bought a set of smoke alarms I did notice that the directions specifically said NOT to use lithium batteries - of course I'd bought a set of lithium batteries for them.:facepalm: It turns out there's a good reason for that, I think it was because the lithium batteries don't perform well at high temperatures, specifically when you want them to work in a smoke alarm, but my memory might be fuzzy on that point.

But as far as specific brands, that may be just to insure that the batteries will work. Smoke alarms are not the device I'd go cheapest on, either for the devices or the batteries in them. Manufacturing methods might also matter in why they recommend specific brands of batteries.

Ironically, I don't think I have ever bought anything (including smoke detectors) that actually came with a name brand battery.

Ironically, I don't think I have ever bought anything (including smoke detectors) that actually came with a name brand battery.

good point! I forget whether it was a name brand or not but it definitely was
not one of the 2 specified. I wrote the brand down in the instructions...will have to go look it up now.

In my time chained to a desk designing fire protection systems I didn't work much, if at all, with household smoke alarms. But that said, I imagine it could have something to do with the device's UL listing; perhaps it was only tested with certain manufacturer's batteries. You didn't say what type of battery you have in mind. Is it AA, 9V, or some kind of special battery such as Li-ion?

A quick Google search didn't reveal much, although at least one manufacturer mentioned it was important to use "good" batteries (duh?).

[edit to add] Hey, I still have my old log-in with NFPA! The fire alarm code requires the smoke alarm manufacturer to identify acceptable battery manufacturers and model numbers. I no longer have my NFPA Handbooks which might give insight into the "why" of this requirement, but I would guess there might have been some issues with substandard batteries in the past.

Last edited:
What about that BS they keep spouting that you need to change the battery twice a year?

For a while there, I was writing the date on the batteries when I changed them. They'd last 8 or 9 years before the detector started beeping, indicating a low battery.

But, yeah, don't buy smoke detector batteries at the dollar store!

I have 100+ CO and Smoke detectors. Any name brand alkaline will work. Duracell has a contractor grade, Procell I think, that I buy in bulk.

Duracell Coppertop are the trusted consumer battery for powering personal electronics. Duracell Procell batteries are Duracell's line of batteries designed for industrial and professional use. Duracell Procell AAA batteries and other Process sizes are packaged for the volume user, and are not sold in blister packs. A fresh Duracell Procell battery is charged higher (a fresh 9V Procell battery is typically at 9.5 volts or higher) than the Duracell Coppertop.

New detectors have a permanent 10 year battery. No more changing batteries. I’ve only had mine three years. I hope they do last close to the ten years.

I’m no expert and therefore would buy one of the recommend batteries, but I thought they sold a ten year lithium 9v battery specifically for smoke detectors. I was told to put that in the smoke detector in my old house that was not hard wired by the inspector that did the pre selling inspection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=AAZKBB7GMG6Y1QVH8R4K

Although 9V batteries tend to not be rechargeable, be wary of rechargeables in critical electronic applications. AA batteries tend to be 1.5 volts whereas rechargeables are usually 1.2 volts. That adds up to a lot of, say, you need 4 of them (6 vs 4.8V).

only a few specific ones (brand/"model" number).

Perhaps they made a promotional deal with some battery manufacturers.

only a few specific ones (brand/"model" number). Wouldn't any generic 9v
alkaline battery work............avoiding no-name brands to be safe.

For the same reason when I made my last apple pie I had to use

Brand ABC flour
Brand XYZ shortening
Brand RST spices
and so on.....

They are all owned by the same food MegaCorp.

Back
Top Bottom