Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2019, 06:07 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
You ever consider Powerline for the garage? Much easier not to mention tidier than a long run of ethernet cable.
I did look at it after your suggestion. But my detached garage workshop is on a separate electric line and meter from the house. So Powerline was out. Then I looked at MoCa - but that would have cost me about $180 to save $7 per month cable bill, so I didn't do it.

But I'm getting a fairly strong signal in the workshop now. I may throw a Firestick out there and see if it works.

I put my hibiscus tree in the workshop for the winter. Now that I have WiFi out there, I'm thinking of making a Wifi controlled watering system for it. But I don't want a tub of water sitting around my tools.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 06:51 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
You ever consider Powerline for the garage? Much easier not to mention tidier than a long run of ethernet cable.
I have not tried Powerline. Looks cheap. Reviews appear good. Have you had success with it?
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:57 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Power line works well for me but it will never be as fast as an Ethernet wiring and is subject to the age and health of your interior circuits. Also key is a what electrical equipment is plugged in near the power line adapter as they are very sensitive to interference. I run a signal around the house with it happily and did in our last place as well. The best connection rates as 1240 Mbps, but the speed of the whole line reduces to that of the worst connection, which in my case is 512. Perfectly fine for anything I want to do, but far below what a direct wired connection would be.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my last house I did the smart home thing with smart switches and outlets connected to a computer along with the garage door and home security system. It all worked pretty well. I am doing the electrical wiring in my new house now and plan to hard wire cable, ethernet, security sensors, window shade controllers, etc. before drywall goods up. I prefer the hard wire to wireless. I hope to have just one app that can monitor and control everything. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the newer wifi approach.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote