Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2022, 11:31 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Because DirecTV customer service/support is so bad, I might start making that move sooner rather than later.
As a longtime DirecTV subscriber, this has not been my experience. I have always found their customer support to be quite helpful. Over the course of 20+ years, I can count on one hand the number of times that DTV customer support has been frustrating or lacking in some way. I pretty much always get the help I need and feel well taken care of as a customer.

Having said all that, I am likely to drop DTV and go "all streaming" within the next 12 months or so, simply because my DTV viewing has dwindled down to almost nothing. Also, they have publicly stated that their current satellite fleet will not be upgraded (i.e., no more satellites will be launched), so the writing is on the wall for DirecTV EOL in the fairly near future.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2022, 11:47 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think cable companies tried to milk us for too much for too long. I'm saving so much money now that I dropped cable years ago. Do you remember the song by Bruce Springsteen years ago "57 channels and nothing on"? Cable was like that for me. I subscribe to several streaming channels now, but what I can now watch is more customized to what I want to watch and I'm paying far less. What's not to like?

I don't watch sports so I can't add anything to that area of service.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
T-mobile’s 5G home internet does the trick for me. You need to be in an area where they’ve got it built out, but I really don’t notice much difference in speeds from the cable I used to have. I just did a Speedtest and got 600 down/60 up. It varies a lot by time of day and area, but for us it is never so slow than we can’t have a couple of streams going without issue.

The PITA of dealing with the cable company constantly adding fees and jacking up rates is gone. We pay $50/month flat, all fees and taxes included.
The past few days I've been researching T-Mobile internet vs upgrading our Spectrum cable internet.

We've had cable internet since it was introduced here, I think it was 1997. Been happy with it and it's $50/mo. Last week we had an outage and the tech who came and fixed it (old filter on line at the pole prevented an area wide update) checked our speed (20 down 10 up), etc and told us we were still on a legacy plan. He recommended upgrading to the new service, much faster and our modem could handle it. The speed has never bothered me but DH would like something faster. He's home all the time and would use it and enjoy it.

So I called to do this and they said our cost would be $75/mo for 200 down and 10 up. $25/mo more isn't going to be a problem but I've been researching other alternatives before we commit to the new plan.

A few months ago we got a T-mobile plan for our cell phones. It's the Magenta unlimited for over age 55 for $70/mo for 2 lines. It's been great and was very handy when our internet was down for a few days last week while we waited for the tech appt. We turned on our Personal HotSpots and had an easy time using all our computers and devices. DH was impressed with the speed.

So now that we are evaluating our current cable internet, we are also considering changing to T-Mobile Internet as a possible option. One hesitation is that we would lose our current email addresses if we leave Spectrum. But we could handle that if the change is worth it.

Give me your thoughts....
Old 01-09-2022, 12:19 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It is clear that content, live sports especially, will largely drive winners and losers between cable, satellite and streaming - but that tide may have turned. Yes I know some people don't care about sports (but some will disagree and post anyway), but live sports is still the biggest factor holding cord cutters back.
I agree. I dumped cable in 2016 after DH died. He really enjoyed sports on TV and I have zero interest. I have Netflix only and, while I enjoyed some of the programs on HGTV, Lifetime and NatGeo, I find plenty to like on Netflix so I've found "substitutes". There is no real substitute for live streaming of of a particular game.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:58 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Do you remember the song by Bruce Springsteen years ago "57 channels and nothing on"? Cable was like that for me.
One of the few Springsteen songs I like. I like to quote the song and change the words a bit to "157 channels and nothing on."

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:07 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Streaming services already have hundreds of millions of subscribers combined, world wide.

In the US alone, Netflix and Disney + probably have numbers approaching 100 million.

Maybe more combined or maybe each of them are well north of 50 million.

There are two kinds of streaming, one replicating your cable TV channels and one where they offer exclusive shows and movies where a lot of cable TV subscribers have to subscribe to get access to this exclusive content.

I think the latter services are going to dominate if they're not already. I don't think Netflix is necessarily making huge profits but they have huge revenues and are turning most of that money over to make new content.

For people who want 4K HDR content, you can only get it through streaming. We won't see 4K on OTA or cable for a long time.

In a couple of years, streaming services may offer 4K NFL games. Amazon will start to stream the Thursday Night games and they could offer 4K.

There is not enough economic incentive for local TV stations to offer 4K broadcasts and the networks are not in a hurry either. Nor are cable TV companies going to put too many 4K channels on their systems.

However, cable TV companies have monopolies over Internet in most markets. Somehow, 5G for home was going to disrupt that but the pandemic has disrupted that. Or maybe it was a pipe dream all along.

So cable TV is already dependent on cable Internet for their profits, not TV service.

Thus they will still be in the game if cord-cutting accelerates.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:43 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
"Cable companies" are acquiring content, Comcast already owns NBCUniversal and they're promoting Peacock. Why would they do that if they wanted to keep us all locked into cable? Disney owns ABC and ESPN, and they've spun off ESPN+. Just two examples.
It's easy to mix what it means to be a "cable company" and a streaming provider. For example, right now I stream and also have Comcast cable. I'm sitting here watching the Bears game streaming it from Comcast via my Firestick. It's being broadcast on local WFLD TV which I have access to via my Comcast cable connection, Comcast streaming or OTA. If I didn't have Comcast, I'd have to watch it OTA or subscribe to some other streaming source of the game.

BTW, when I say that "I stream," I don't pay for any streaming services other than Prime (which we have whether we stream or not), so I pay for Comcast cable and stream everything I can for free.

So, is Comcast a "cable company" since you can subscribe and stream their content without a cable box or even a cable running to your home? Are they a "streamer?" Or are they some hybrid?
Old 01-09-2022, 02:00 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
The past few days I've been researching T-Mobile internet vs upgrading our Spectrum cable internet.

So now that we are evaluating our current cable internet, we are also considering changing to T-Mobile Internet as a possible option. One hesitation is that we would lose our current email addresses if we leave Spectrum. But we could handle that if the change is worth it.

Give me your thoughts....
Is the T-Mobile internet plan for unlimited data? Can you take the devise with you when you travel and use it from anyplace? That would be a big plus for us.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:02 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
It's easy to mix what it means to be a "cable company" and a streaming provider. For example, right now I stream and also have Comcast cable. I'm sitting here watching the Bears game streaming it from Comcast via my Firestick. It's being broadcast on local WFLD TV which I have access to via my Comcast cable connection, Comcast streaming or OTA. If I didn't have Comcast, I'd have to watch it OTA or subscribe to some other streaming source of the game.

BTW, when I say that "I stream," I don't pay for any streaming services other than Prime (which we have whether we stream or not), so I pay for Comcast cable and stream everything I can for free.

So, is Comcast a "cable company" since you can subscribe and stream their content without a cable box or even a cable running to your home? Are they a "streamer?" Or are they some hybrid?
Streaming, cable, hybrid. If it’s a Bears game you’re watching, I call it suffering ...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:15 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
For people who want 4K HDR content, you can only get it through streaming. We won't see 4K on OTA or cable for a long time.

In a couple of years, streaming services may offer 4K NFL games. Amazon will start to stream the Thursday Night games and they could offer 4K.

There is not enough economic incentive for local TV stations to offer 4K broadcasts and the networks are not in a hurry either. Nor are cable TV companies going to put too many 4K channels on their systems.

I think 4k is the macguffin in this story. A lot of people think they need it. A lot of companies think they need to supply it. But ultimately I'm not so sure.

Look at what happened with music. The record and hardware companies put massive R&D into high end systems and content with beautiful sound. It only marginally drove sales. Then along comes Apple and their iPod (and napster, to be sure), and suddenly everybody doesn't give a whit about sound quality. mp3 is good enough. It is all about content and ease of delivery.

Streaming has the content, but the delivery can still use some work. Some streaming devices are better than others. And apps definitely differ. Cable is still ahead with their rich remote and box, but not for long. In the 3 years I've been paying attention to streaming, the delivery experience has improved tremendously and will continue to do so. Despite this patchy user interface experience, streaming has a huge advantage over cable in one important way: multiple devices with ease, including mobile phones.

Quote:
However, cable TV companies have monopolies over Internet in most markets. Somehow, 5G for home was going to disrupt that but the pandemic has disrupted that. Or maybe it was a pipe dream all along.

So cable TV is already dependent on cable Internet for their profits, not TV service.

Thus they will still be in the game if cord-cutting accelerates.
Yes, many of them have pivoted to internet and even have their own streaming services. They have to.

5G is a story unto itself. My last job (2016) involved working at the front end of the 5G roll out, and the whispers we heard from the big telcos was that it was at least 5 years away, probably 7. That's rolling out true to those predictions. 5G still hasn't reached near its potential, but in about 3 years, it should catch fire. (By this I don't mean the availability of 5G, I mean the pervasiveness of it at noticeable improved speeds and reliability.)

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:24 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Streaming, cable, hybrid. If it’s a Bears game you’re watching, I call it suffering ...

Well, it sure was again today!! That's why I was reading and typing here, doing a few things for DW and watching at the same time! They've been sooooo bad!
Old 01-09-2022, 02:51 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
As a longtime DirecTV subscriber, this has not been my experience. I have always found their customer support to be quite helpful. Over the course of 20+ years, I can count on one hand the number of times that DTV customer support has been frustrating or lacking in some way. I pretty much always get the help I need and feel well taken care of as a customer.
We too were very early DirecTV subscribers (mid to late 90's) and their service/support was outstanding in the early years. We haven't had to use their customer services very often in the past 10 years but when we have, it's gone downhill badly in my experaince. But as they say, YMMV.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Other than news, streaming is about all we watch these days.

Have not had a land line telephone for over 10 years. Prior to that we, for quite a number of years, we did not use our land line provider for long distance calls. We used an alternate supplier because the rates were about 80 percent less!

Cable TV in our area are pricing themselves out of the market. They are trying to bundle with internet and cell service in order to remain competitive and retain their base.

People are more tech savvy and can access data about competing offers quickly and easily.

Our daughter called us in late December with suggestion about how we could cut our cable bill and increase our internet service. She had just done so. And what to say. Lots of competition in our market at the moment.

Called the provided and said we wanted to cancel...as per daughter's script. Twenty minutes later our monthly costs had been reduced from $180. to $82 month and our internet service was enhanced.
I've never had a landline I am a gen X though so I had a cell phone when I was 16 or 17. I remember back then only the "privileged" kids had there very own cell phone and service. I laugh that we have jacks in our home for landline, and honestly it bothers me to look at those.

As for streaming, I've only paid for Netflix consistently, but had a trial for Disney+ for free and cancelled and had a Hulu+ free trial and cancelled and even had a YouTube TV trial for a little bit that was super cheap the first 3 months then cancelled.

I like the Mandalorian / Boba Fett content on Disney+, I like Billions which is on Showtime+, Ozarks comes in on Netflix and looking forward to the new season and I've watched some documentaries on PBS Masterpiece.

If I paid for all of these all year it would be 13.99 + 7.99+ 10.99 +5.99 + 9.92(prime) = $48.88 a month or $587/year. As it stands we pay for Prime and Netflix and sub in/out the other services to binge watch, then cancel. We would have Prime regardless for the expedited shipping and better pricing. And we have had Netflix ever since it put Blockbuster out of business with its DVD rentals (before RedBox was a thing).

Our new smart TV has a lot of free streaming content, but often gets interrupted with commercials. There are a few exceptions. Its hard to name all of those services since each TV brand seems to have there own flavor of free streaming channels, and then I also use Plex the free version which also offers additional streaming channels. Content overload. Most of it is garbage. I'm not a sports watcher. I can name on 2 hands the number of TV series I actually got into and semi-binge watched my entire life. The kids LOVE Netflix shows as does DW. That is our most streamed service.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Is the T-Mobile internet plan for unlimited data? Can you take the devise with you when you travel and use it from anyplace? That would be a big plus for us.
I don't think so. We have tmobile phone - but our area isn't built out by tmobile 5G internet. The website has you enter your zip to see if your area can get it.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I don't think so. We have tmobile phone - but our area isn't built out by tmobile 5G internet. The website has you enter your zip to see if your area can get it.
Oops - realized I answered confusingly.

- The tmobile is unlimited data.
- The tmobile 5G internet is *not* available everywhere.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:37 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes I have Comcast and use their Stream app a lot, both in home and when I travel.

Technically it's similar tech to the streaming done by Netflix, Hulu, Disney +, Apple +.

But those are just streaming cable TV channels.

Peacock is a streamer, which carries mostly NBC programming. But they do also have exclusive rights to shows like The Office, which is still a popular streaming show, and some original content.

But they've not invested a lot in original content so signs are that they have less than 500k paying customers. They give subscriptions free to active Comcast customers but they haven't signed up many non Comcast customers.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:42 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I think 4k is the macguffin in this story. A lot of people think they need it. A lot of companies think they need to supply it. But ultimately I'm not so sure.

Most people don't care that much about 4K or higher picture and audio quality.

"Good enough" is the principle that drives the market. Relatively low bitrate MP3 won over all better audio codecs.

And the evidence is that most people are fine with 720p at low bitrates from their cable TV subscriptions than seeking out 4K content.

Not only that, people are fine with the $400-500 LCD TVs they can get at Walmart than the big OLED TVs which have much better picture quality but has list prices of $3000 and more.

So the proof is that good enough, based on 20 year old HDTV standards, is what people will pay for.

Even people who have the money for better TVs and streaming devices, like those on ER, will more often settle for lower priced options.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:45 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Netflix DVD only here! I bet most people don’t even know that is an option.

The problem with streaming is that movie rights negotiations for streaming is limited and the choice is bad. DVD has legacy rights that make many more movies available on Netflix DVD than on Streaming.

The irony is that I add them to the queue then wifey gets them out of the library for free. So Netflix seems to have become a movie list more than a movie supplier for us.
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:58 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Surprised Netflix is still mailing DVDs.

They are not going to end that, because streaming is where their bread is buttered now, with the biggest library of original content anywhere.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:06 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Surprised Netflix is still mailing DVDs.
We're still getting their DVD's... Amazing that they can get them to us in two days consistently and sometimes it seems even quicker. Pretty good deal they have with USPS.