Windows 10 admin access

Masquernom

Full time employment: Posting here.
I use a custom HOST file to block access to ad servers. I found the list I was using from online was also blocking access to update MS Windows. I renamed the HOST file to HOST.OLD and spent the day updating Windows and Edge. I was about 4 updates behind.

I wanted to replace my old HOST file with a completely new and updated one. However, when I go to edit the HOST file, it requires admin access to make changes. Looks like the latest update has really made it hard to log in as admin. Anyone have simple instructions that a mechanical engineer can follow to log in as admin? :blush:

Type notepad in the command/search field. When it displays Notepad in the programs list, right click on it and you'll get a menu off of it where one of the entries is "Run as administrator" - choose that.

Either it will start it up as you have admin privs, or it will prompt you for the admin login. If it prompts you, you're going to have to know your admin password.

Last edited:
Type notepad in the command/search field. When it displays Notepad in the programs list, right click on it and you'll get a menu off of it where one of the entries is "Run as administrator" - choose that.

Either it will start it up as you have admin privs, or it will prompt you for the admin login. If it prompts you, you're going to have to know your admin password.

That worked like a charm! I was about to start searching for the old DOS commands and tackle it from the command line. Thanks again for your help!

That worked like a charm! I was about to start searching for the old DOS commands and tackle it from the command line. Thanks again for your help!

You would have had to do similar for cmd - default is that it runs without admin privs. Type cmd in the command/search field - right click on it in the programs list, you'll likewise see Run as administrator in the menu.

Glad you're back in business.

Back
Top Bottom