Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2021, 09:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No rush for me.

Mentally, I'm still on Win XP.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2021, 09:35 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInMi View Post
... I am going to pass on 11 until MS quits supporting 10.
Wise. From a career in tech I have learned that it is the guys who are out front who have the arrows in their chests. I love the early adopters, though. They debug new software for me and they eat the first year of car depreciation before I buy.

And, actually, "support" is IMO not that important. Sure its nice to get a few years of bug fixes, but once the herd has moved on it is much higher payoff for the bad guys to follow the herd. Why attack a small population of retail users when the big money is elsewhere?
Old 11-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I upgraded the laptop this morning. Took maybe an hour and 15 minutes. Can't say for sure since I started it at 10:30 and then made a trip to Costco. It was waiting for me to give the go ahead on a reboot when I got back. So it was pretty quick. Seems fine so far but I haven't really had a chance to explore the changes.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I upgraded the laptop this morning. Took maybe an hour and 15 minutes. Can't say for sure since I started it at 10:30 and then made a trip to Costco. It was waiting for me to give the go ahead on a reboot when I got back. So it was pretty quick. Seems fine so far but I haven't really had a chance to explore the changes.
Thank you for your service.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Thank you for your service.
Early adopters of new versions of Windows do kind of remind me of the first soldiers storming the beaches of Normandy... I plan to to hit the beach after the enemies are vanquished and all the land mines removed. Maybe next June.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInMi View Post
Has anyone with Windows 11 noticed increase in resources required, like processor or RAM?
I am going to pass on 11 until MS quits supporting 10.
My computer seems to work exactly the same under Windows 11 as it did under Windows 10. The only difference I notice are the slight changes to the user interface. My computer is a HP all-in-one desktop and about a year and a half old. Your mileage may vary.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
My computer seems to work exactly the same under Windows 11 as it did under Windows 10. The only difference I notice are the slight changes to the user interface. My computer is a HP all-in-one desktop and about a year and a half old. Your mileage may vary.
Same is true for me on my laptop (a high end Dell Inspiron less than a year old). Maybe it would be pushing the limits if it was extremely low on resources instead of "all tricked out"? But I see absolutely no evidence of any problems of that type.

Windows 11 was unusually easy for me to adapt to. Everything I ever used is there and wasn't hard to find, just a minute or two really.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:39 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Uh-oh, Vista 2.0?
Not really, vista was basically the Beta version of windows 7 and nowhere near as bad as windows 8 was as it was horrid especially the "metro" interface
Locotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:45 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Mine works pretty much the same as well but I'm running a Sager gaming laptop I have noticed the gpu fan running a bit more and I liked the more linux like toolbar til I found you had no never combine buttons option so I did the add ins to convert it back to a 10 like version for the taskbar.
Locotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:28 AM   #30

I am puzzling how to move different apps to the "pinned" section in the Start Menu. While I thought the spinning 3D apps on the Start Menu were unnecessary, I DID like the ability to move my preferred apps (mostly not MS) to the top of the list.

There is a "pinned" section at the top, but I can't seem to move apps in and out. Also, I prefer the list view rather than the icon view, but I can't seem to make that view stay. However, that's less important than the ability to pin favorite apps at the top.

No trouble in installation on my 2 year old (but older type) laptop.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
I am puzzling how to move different apps to the "pinned" section in the Start Menu. While I thought the spinning 3D apps on the Start Menu were unnecessary, I DID like the ability to move my preferred apps (mostly not MS) to the top of the list.

There is a "pinned" section at the top, but I can't seem to move apps in and out. Also, I prefer the list view rather than the icon view, but I can't seem to make that view stay. However, that's less important than the ability to pin favorite apps at the top.

No trouble in installation on my 2 year old (but older type) laptop.
First, find the app you want to pin using the "All Apps" button located to the upper right of your current pinned app. Once you find the app in the list, right-click on it and you will see a "Pin to Start Menu" option at the top of the action list. You can also unpin any apps you don't want in the pinned section by right-clicking on them and selecting "Unpin from Start". You can also change the order of the Pinned apps by using drag-and-drop to reposition the icons where you want them. I will rarely use the list view mode since all my commonly used apps are now pinned and I've removed any pinned apps I don't care about.

I don't see a way to be in "list view" permanently.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:30 AM   #32

Quote:
First, find the app you want to pin using the "All Apps" button located to the upper right of your current pinned app. Once you find the app in the list, right-click on it and you will see a "Pin to Start Menu" option at the top of the action list. You can also unpin any apps you don't want in the pinned section by right-clicking on them and selecting "Unpin from Start". You can also change the order of the Pinned apps by using drag-and-drop to reposition the icons where you want them. I will rarely use the list view mode since all my commonly used apps are now pinned and I've removed any pinned apps I don't care about.

I don't see a way to be in "list view" permanently.
Yes, but I don't necessarily want them to be part of the Start Menu [and start up - and slow down - the computer every time it starts up]. I just want them to be easily accessible at the top of the menu for when and if I want to load them. That's how Windows 10 worked. An app, like, say, Evernote, did NOT load every time the computer started even if it were at the top.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Yes, but I don't necessarily want them to be part of the Start Menu [and start up - and slow down - the computer every time it starts up]. I just want them to be easily accessible at the top of the menu for when and if I want to load them. That's how Windows 10 worked. An app, like, say, Evernote, did NOT load every time the computer started even if it were at the top.
Apps that are pinned to the Start menu are not automatically started/run when you start up the computer. You are simply pinning the icon to a location where you can quickly access it to start it when you want. Which is what I think you want to do.

Whether an app starts up automatically upon restarting the computer or signing in is a characteristic of that app. Most don't do this. But there are some that set this up when you install them to your computer. It is something that usually can be turned off somewhere inside the program itself.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Apps that are pinned to the Start menu are not automatically started/run when you start up the computer. You are simply pinning the icon to a location where you can quickly access it to start it when you want. Which is what I think you want to do.

Whether an app starts up automatically upon restarting the computer or signing in is a characteristic of that app. Most don't do this. But there are some that set this up when you install them to your computer. It is something that usually can be turned off somewhere inside the program itself.
Thanks! I did not know this. I thought anything pinned to Start, started. This helps.

Adding also about my experience in switching over, the first time I tried a restart, it took forever, but a second restart seemed to solve that, but also I had to sign back in to Chrome, my usual browser, which also took forever, but once I got that done, things seemed as usual.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #35

I occasionally run some 21 year old CAD software on my WIN10 laptop. Does anyone know if Win11 supports the old software that was designed for Win98 or thereabouts? I might switch over while the upgrade is free. In the past, I have found it is cheaper or at least close, to upgrade computers to a used one with the new windows than pay for the Win software.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Thanks! I did not know this. I thought anything pinned to Start, started. This helps.

Adding also about my experience in switching over, the first time I tried a restart, it took forever, but a second restart seemed to solve that, but also I had to sign back in to Chrome, my usual browser, which also took forever, but once I got that done, things seemed as usual.
Great. For what it’s worth, I was poking around in Settings and there is indeed a place where you can tell Windows to automatically start a program upon logging in. I suppose this might be handy for a program like Microsoft Outlook. A program that you probably start every time you sign in. I know that’s what I do for Outlook. I don’t think I’ll activate that feature, but it’s good to know.

But, as I said before, pinning to the Start menu is not the same.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Windows 10 was supposed to be the final version ever. I was happy with W7 but upgraded to W10 for this reason.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I occasionally run some 21 year old CAD software on my WIN10 laptop. Does anyone know if Win11 supports the old software that was designed for Win98 or thereabouts?
If your CAD program runs within Win10, it almost certainly will run in Win11. On the off chance it doesn't, though, you could setup a Win98 VM that would run within Win11. Check out this article for details. I would recommend learning about how to setup and use VMs regardless of whether Win11 can run your ancient CAD software.

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how...-on-todays-pcs
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
... I would recommend learning about how to setup and use VMs regardless of whether Win11 can run your ancient CAD software. ...
Why? I'm a computer architect by trade, so could easily do this. But I see no reason. For me the computer is simply a tool and if it ain't broke I don't mess with it.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Is there a way to go out and download the Win11 update or do you have to wait until Microsoft says they are ready to give it to you? Ran the Windows HealthCheck program and verified my laptop is Win11 compatible but haven't seen any option to download it.
To answer my own question it can be downloaded here.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows11
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote