Wireless keyboard hacking: Real or overblown?

statsman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For the longest time I have used wired keyboards (and wireless mice). They're cheap and easy to replace (I don't know about anyone else, but my keyboards always fail faster than my mice).

Unfortunately, we now have a cat who likes to chew cords. :mad: Things like corded headphones cannot be left out unattended if he's in the room. Most times he'll ignore the loose cords, but that one time in fifty he'll ruin the device (headphones, keyboards, speaker cables, etc.).

Was looking at purchasing a wireless keyboard, but then I read about the ability of hackers to be able to "sniff" the system through the wireless transmitter. With a manufacturer like Logitech, is this a concern?

I think just a very remote possibility. Not possible, in my opinion, in a home setting. They just don’t have the range. The ones I have, have a little dongle that is tied to the mouse and keyboard. A Bluetooth keyboard might have more range, but still, seems like someone would have to be sitting outside you office window to pick up the transmission. I’d say the risk is too small to worry about.

Now a Bluetooth keyboard in a coffee shop, that might be different. But for home use, relax.

I think just a very remote possibility. Not possible, in my opinion, in a home setting.

Not so fast. :)

Maybe the OP lives in an apt. building like this...

Attachments

• apt.jpg
    apt.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 129
I think the risk depends at least partly on how the keyboard connects to the computer. Bluetooth should be pretty safe, but many keyboards use other methods.

Bluetooth is actually not that secure, but it's also pretty short range. And I'm not sure what good it would do to just take over the keyboard anyway -- if the computer is locked or off when you're not using it, access to the keyboard wouldn't be of any use/harm anyway. It would also be easily detectable, as I don't think there's a way to "sniff" the keystrokes, the easiest attack would probably be to replace your keyboard with an outside one, and then they'd still have to see your screen to know what they were doing. Malware on the computer itself would be a much more effective and useful vector for attackers.

Take off your tinfoil hats people. Most bluetooth (what your keyboard typically uses) has a range of about 33 feet. Unless you live in a congested area, the ability to intercept it reliably, is very minimal. I've tested multiple "cantennas" and they are over-hyped. Would not recommend a bluetooth keyboard for gaming. The lag (minimal but still there) will affect performance. (former Cyber Threat Special Agent for USG)

In which case they’ll see me inside the window, holding a .40 cal “device”...
That should get someone's attention.

I only use wireless on the living room media machine where non financial stuff is. Better safe than sorry.

Someone could bug your house with an audio pickup near your computer. Then use the sound characteristics of your keyboard to implement a remote keylogger.

Don't laugh, it's going to be in the spy novel I'm writing. :cool:

Someone could bug your house with an audio pickup near your computer. Then use the sound characteristics of your keyboard to implement a remote keylogger.

Sure, there are lots of ways to steal passwords if one is really determined. And it isn't just governments that are good at this.

Practicing common sense security is worthwhile, but seriously folks, bluetooth keyboards are fine to use.

Back
Top Bottom