A Father, and his Angst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brdofpray

Recycles dryer sheets
Don’t know where to begin. We all have been impacted in various ways with the ongoing pandemic. Travel delays, cancelations, shortages, market woes, etc. have all become the rule. This community responds with meaningful discourse, sometimes humorous, which helps all cope, and vent.

Currently, I am sitting on my couch watching reruns of football games from last season, amidst a voluntary Corona virus quarantine. In one hour, DD, goes back to work at the hospital. She works the next three nights 7pm to 7 am. She is on a cardiac telemetry floor, one step below ICU. They already have all of their negative pressure rooms filled with Covid patients. Their protective gear supplies are running low. They are getting ready to use Hefty bags as gowns, and are starting to reuse masks. DW is making masks, according to published patterns from other hospitals. However, at this time, those masks are not approved for wear. A liability thing. This is where a bureaucracy meets a pandemic.

We were able to video chat with her last night. She lives alone, with only her dog. She will not see us in person, for the risk of passing the virus to us. Every day she comes home from work, wondering if she picked the virus up, and a new 14 day quarantine period begins for her. The angst, fear, frustration were palpable in her voice during our chat.

If the front line staff are not feeling protected and supported, how can they deliver the care that is so desperately needed at this time?

As a father, I am frustrated beyond belief for my daughter. If I think too hard about this entire situation, I begin to lose it. DW and I do not sleep, while DD is working her shift. I want to do something, make things better for her, but there is nothing at this point, but prayer.

What we all can do is to support and appreciate our healthcare workers, who are going to work daily to fight this pandemic. They are putting themselves at risk, with limited supplies, and sometimes, no appreciation. If you have any connections to medical staff, let them know, they are all heroes

So, I sit on the couch, and do my part to save the world by doing nothing.

Thanks for reading.

My heart goes out to all the healthcare workers . I was an RN for thirty years so I know what an awful situation this is for them .I hope your daughter stays safe .

Prayer. That's the best thing we can all do.

And thank you for raising a daughter that's willing to give so others can live. You're right about the medical world being our heros.

My heart goes out to you and your DW, and my prayers go out to your daughter and all the medical professionals risking their lives.

My coworker has a daughter who is a newly-minted paramedic (finished her certification a couple of months ago) half-way across the country, and she lives in fear every day for her daughter. They are also experiencing the shortages of PPE.

It is an absolute disgrace that this country is not protecting the people on the front lines. :mad: :mad:

At times like this the everyday heroes are putting themselves in harms way, including those workers in the food supply chain. It is most appreciated!!! Sending prayers to keep your daughter and her cohorts safe and that we get through this soon.

DD is a ICU nurse on a surgical cardio-thoracic floor. Her unit has been told they will be sent to do COVID care as needed. Some of her coworkers have been sent down; she has a reprieve for now because she is training a new nurse. Once the new nurse is ready to be on her own DD will likely be caring for COVID patients.

I don’t know how much longer the new nurse is scheduled to be a trainee. I wonder if I could pay the new nurse to keep claiming she needs more training?

Parents, family members, and friends of healthcare workers are looking for these items to send to these healthcare workers. My neighbor described a physician son allocated one mask per week. She found some stuff to send that was overpriced by hundreds of dollars, but she had to buy it and send it.

It's like we live in a third world country now.

Have you or DD seen the video call from Dr. David Price, MD out of NYC (Pulmonary- Critical Care dept)?

https://vimeo.com/399733860

He appears to have gotten rationally beyond his fear in all this and projects it quite well in the video call to his friends and family.

-gauss

Your daughter is like a soldier in the trenches along the front lines. I am so thankful for her talents, her courage and her service when she is so needed.

I pray daily for the safety of our heathcare professionals-including her. I know they are taking risk but also know they know better than we how to keep themselves safe and minimize that risk.

What we all can do is to support and appreciate our healthcare workers, who are going to work daily to fight this pandemic. They are putting themselves at risk, with limited supplies, and sometimes, no appreciation. If you have any connections to medical staff, let them know, they are all heroes

Thanks for reading.
You're doing what you can to further connect us all it seems.

We're making masks as many others are. A young nurse, mother of 3, just stopped by to pick up another batch. They will use them in some way. She returned the love by leaving a framed piece of her artwork. Nurses are incredible.

Health care workers have become the new military, heading off to war while those who love them hope they will return safe and sound. The enemy here is a virus who can’t be negotiated with. It’s a very difficult war to win, but we will get through this. And we very much appreciate what every health care worker is going through, just as much as we appreciate the veterans who fought the other wars to keep us safe.

I can't imagine many of our healthcare professionals ever thought they would be involved in something so dangerous to themselves and their families. What guts it would take to do this job under idea conditions is unbelievable; let alone suited up in hefty bags!

Hopefully when we regain control sound minds will agree on some "lessons learned" from an apolitical view that are a guide for future actions. I was involved in many disaster recoveries at large organizations, the smart ones learned from their challenges.

Don’t know where to begin.

I will be thinking of your daughter. I mentioned in another thread about delaying large purchases, that I am moving forward with a lot purchase down South. It is actually in Upstate SC. I see your avatar (biking) and wonder, as the lot i am looking at is at a neighborhood near a famous bikers hotel and restaurant. I have 2 daughters and a granddaughter in that area as well, which is why I'm moving there, and would worry deeply if they were working in the healthcare industry. Hope all works out well for your DD.

Brdofpray,

ms gamboolgal and I understand and empathize with your concerns sir.

Our daughter is a Paramedic in Austin, Texas and we are so scared for her.

She is young, smart and on fire to help people - and she does this. But we worry so much for her in the normal hazards of her profession. And now with this Flu virus......

We have recently lost our son unexpectedly due to heart disease at age 34 and now our only remaining child is in a high risk profession. Angst and worry are constant for us.

We would gladly pay her double her salary to quit her job - but she will have none of it.

We pray for her regularly.

All the best for your daughter sir.

gamboolman & ms gamboolgal....

Our prayers go out to you and your family for continued health.

I don't know what to tell you other than being a nurse today has to be a whole lot easier than my Vietnam days. Perhaps this is the toughest thing you've faced as a family, I don't know, but I can think of a whole lot of harder things and would advice to count blessings right now.

Have you or DD seen the video call from Dr. David Price, MD out of NYC (Pulmonary- Critical Care dept)?

He appears to have gotten rationally beyond his fear in all this and projects it quite well in the video call to his friends and family.

-gauss

Thank you for this! I listened to it twice and forwarded it to DD. I will send it to our group of friends as well.

Just follow the rules!

Sending lots of love and light to everyone on the front lines. I hope they all stay safe.

-gauss

Thank you so much for posting this!! I watched it, and I have forwarded it to my circle of family and friends. It was extremely helpful and reassuring.

I'm a father, and two of my three children work in large hospitals, one an oncology Pharmacist, the other a nurse, and my son's spouse also works in a large hospital (though she is now in a position that doesn't require much direct patient contact).

All I can say is, I don't in any way feel the angst in the OP. My children are young and healthy, they take precautions. The risks are there, but I don't find them alarming. If they get infected, they will very, very likely have a mild case. There is planning, there are alternative procedures being put in place. But I don't hear any signs of panic from them. This is serious, but it isn't Ebola.

We don't get to see our two, 2 year-old grandkids, which is hard, but this will pass. Video chats help. One even manages to grab the iPad and say "I caw Gwamma-Gampa my-sewff". :)

I even found a dozen N95 masks in the basement. I told DD I will send them to her once her hospital has an accepted procedure in place for disinfecting and reusing them, or else they won't be put to best use. It's for her own good.

I don't know what to tell you other than being a nurse today has to be a whole lot easier than my Vietnam days. Perhaps this is the toughest thing you've faced as a family, I don't know, but I can think of a whole lot of harder things and would advice to count blessings right now.

Yes, it's tough, and even historic, but I also feel like we need to keep some perspective.

-ERD50

And in other news, which probably won't be in the news, COVID-19 deaths in the US dropped about in half today.

March 29 (GMT)

18469 new cases and 264 new deaths in the United States

March 28 (GMT)

19452 new cases and 525 new deaths in the United States

We had a few days of ~ linear growth, then a spike and now a drop. It's not enough data to determine a trend, even South Korea is seeing flat/rising death rates weeks after their new/active cases have dropped dramatically. But I would guess the news will find something negative to stoke fear, and skip reporting the lower count we had today.

-ERD50

Don’t know where to begin. We all have been impacted in various ways with the ongoing pandemic. Travel delays, cancelations, shortages, market woes, etc. have all become the rule. This community responds with meaningful discourse, sometimes humorous, which helps all cope, and vent.

Currently, I am sitting on my couch watching reruns of football games from last season, amidst a voluntary Corona virus quarantine. In one hour, DD, goes back to work at the hospital. She works the next three nights 7pm to 7 am. She is on a cardiac telemetry floor, one step below ICU. They already have all of their negative pressure rooms filled with Covid patients. Their protective gear supplies are running low. They are getting ready to use Hefty bags as gowns, and are starting to reuse masks. DW is making masks, according to published patterns from other hospitals. However, at this time, those masks are not approved for wear. A liability thing. This is where a bureaucracy meets a pandemic.

We were able to video chat with her last night. She lives alone, with only her dog. She will not see us in person, for the risk of passing the virus to us. Every day she comes home from work, wondering if she picked the virus up, and a new 14 day quarantine period begins for her. The angst, fear, frustration were palpable in her voice during our chat.

If the front line staff are not feeling protected and supported, how can they deliver the care that is so desperately needed at this time?

As a father, I am frustrated beyond belief for my daughter. If I think too hard about this entire situation, I begin to lose it. DW and I do not sleep, while DD is working her shift. I want to do something, make things better for her, but there is nothing at this point, but prayer.

Thanks for reading.
May God bless your daughter and you. My niece is also a nurse and is really scared right now. She called my wife one day last week to check on us and told her to please keep away from people as much as possible. I will be keeping y'all in my prayers as well.

Thanks for reaching out during your time of angst, BrdofPray. It's good to share our anxieties and therefore lighten the load on our own shoulders. Best thoughts to you, your wife, and your daughter. Her doggie too, who must give her comfort.

-BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom